Hello everyone, i have a problem: I just don't know what guitar should I get for Christmas(I have ibanez rg370dx and I don't like it because of its tremolo and tuning problems). i'm interested in Les Paul, Explorer and strat shapes (lookin in the ESP, epi, schecter brand directions). My budget is about ~860$ Music that I play is mostly rock (from Blink182 to MetallicA).
Some axes that I liked:
1. EPIPHONE LES PAUL PROPHECY EX ME
2. Schecter hellraiser c-1
3.ESP LTD H-251FM SEE THRU BLACK
4. EPIPHONE LES PAUL CLASSIC CUSTOM ANT
5. EPIPHONE LES PAUL ULTRA II ME
6. ESP LTD FX-260SM NATURAL
Yeah I know but use it sometimes. But I'm lookin for a 2nd guitar.
out of the list, i would go for any of the les pauls, however, i would suggest an SG because i find that they are just as good aas a lp but lighter and personally think they look nicer.
look for a used sg standard or even special, the specials and faded ones can go for pretty cheap used
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by Mantaz

Some axes that I liked:
1. EPIPHONE LES PAUL PROPHECY EX ME
2. Schecter hellraiser c-1
3.ESP LTD H-251FM SEE THRU BLACK
4. EPIPHONE LES PAUL CLASSIC CUSTOM ANT
5. EPIPHONE LES PAUL ULTRA II ME
6. ESP LTD FX-260SM NATURAL

Even though i haven't tried the Schecter, i've heard good things about it.
From my experience, LTDs tend to be reliable, and good value for money.
If you end up choosing Epiphone, try the exact guitar you're going to buy before you actually buy it.

I'd go for ESP LTDs, they have all three body shapes you mentioned, and are nice guitars.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Even though i haven't tried the Schecter, i've heard good things about it.
From my experience, LTDs tend to be reliable, and good value for money.
If you end up choosing Epiphone, try the exact guitar you're going to buy before you actually buy it.

I'd go for ESP LTDs, they have all three body shapes you mentioned, and are nice guitars.

Thank You
I've recently become interested in the Ibanez ARX500. The fretwork and the detail like flame maple binding around the body and neck make it seem like it's a great value for $750. It seems exceptionally high quality for a Chinese guitar. I would look into that.
But I don't know about the neck. Do I want a neck-through or a bolt on? It was said that a neck-through necks are easier to fix.
I'd go for a Charvel So-cal.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Mantaz
But I don't know about the neck. Do I want a neck-through or a bolt on? It was said that a neck-through necks are easier to fix.

It's a matter of preference. Many players will tell you that neck-through guitars have better sustain, and that they like them better over bolt-ons, for reasons A, B, C, etc.

I can tell you one fact. In the remote event of damaging the neck, or really needing a total replacement, bolt-on necks are easier to repair/replace.

But in the end it all comes to the player's taste... Personally, i don't care if a guitar has a neck-through-body or a bolt-on neck.
What dictates my choices are:
- pickups (the configuration and type of pickup, brand, etc.);
- body shapes (i wouldn't buy a guitar with a body shape that i don't like, even if it has the greatest tone in the world).

You may also need to check the number of frets, if you play stuff that requires 22+ frets.
For me, any guitar with 21 frets is fine, because until now there's only one song i play that uses 22 frets (Audioslave's "Like A Stone", in the solo). Everything else i play is under 21 frets.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 16, 2009,
I don't know if this has been asked already but has your current guitar ever been set up? How cheap was it and what kind of a vibrato* does it have?

*What "Tremolos" SHOULD be called
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Dude I've owned a Jh200 for about 10 months and nothing has gone wrong... ever.

Try a floating trem, with locking nuts, that will sort out your tuning problem and keep the trem.

I know Schecter, which I can only say I've heard nothing but positive about Schecter, so look into them.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I don't know if this has been asked already but has your current guitar ever been set up? How cheap was it and what kind of a vibrato* does it have?

*What "Tremolos" SHOULD be called

Well yes I think it has been set up it has and edge III tremolo I think http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG370DX
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Dude I've owned a Jh200 for about 10 months and nothing has gone wrong... ever.

Try a floating trem, with locking nuts, that will sort out your tuning problem and keep the trem.

I know Schecter, which I can only say I've heard nothing but positive about Schecter, so look into them.

I would really like a guitar without a tremolo or a floydrose because I change tuning on guitar sometimes from E to Drop C and I don't have that kind of nerves to f*** around with a tremolo bridge
How about... Which guitar is good for both tunings (drop c and e)
Dude there is no F***ing around, its literally you turn a knob on the bridge, as opposed to the headstock. You literally do the same as you do without a locking trem.

Its so much easier, tuning this way. Really, Drop C and standard tuning takes me a second or so to do, because I don't have to check the tuning of the other strings when I do it. Really, a locking trem is a great option.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Dude there is no F***ing around, its literally you turn a knob on the bridge, as opposed to the headstock. You literally do the same as you do without a locking trem.

Its so much easier, tuning this way. Really, Drop C and standard tuning takes me a second or so to do, because I don't have to check the tuning of the other strings when I do it. Really, a locking trem is a great option.

You, sir, are the winner of UG's Worst Advice Award of '09

...How does it feel?
Go for a schecter hellraiser c-1. I have had one for a couple months and nothing has gone wrong. Nice think neck and has good cleans with the emgs, but mainly for distortion like metallica.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEC1HR
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by Banana Wedgie

Wow you must be a real.... pro i guess.... you just take a guitar thats out of tune and play, so yeah how does it feel to play on one string?(dropped c) and to be the worst adviser?
So I just crossed out the Hellraiser c-1 .Cuz the idiot seller rose up the price must be the holiday discount ( now it costs 930$ ).
Quote by Banana Wedgie

You were douchebaggy yesterday and today.
You enlist yourself as an ESP user while using a ltd low end sig guitar with a licensed trem.

And your post doesn´t make sense.

You´re born 1996, play runescape and have the nerves to give stupid advice?

Are you even allowed to be on UG?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Nov 21, 2009,
Quote by Banana Wedgie

Err you've never set up or tried to set up a floyd rose have you? It's a bit more different to what you think.

^And Dawnwalker ****ing lol @ your post. Maybe I could enlist myself as a Gibson and Fender player too seeing as how Banana Wedgie calls themself an ESP user. FWIW ESP's are made in Japan (and yes I know about the USA models) so no you can't tell me that your LTD is an ESP because it's on the ESP site and has ESP written on the back of the headstock.
Meh, searchbar his other utterly useless advice, you'll understand.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Have you had the opportunity to play any of these guitars? I think once you sit down and play them, the list will automatically start to thin itself out.
Hi, I'm Peter
Listen I have did all those things (search bar, reviews, videos). Unfortunatly one thing that i was not able to do is play those damn axes, and I can't... I just don't have the oppurtunities to go and do and may I remind that I live in Lithuania small town too far away from the big cities and I'm a youngster (16years old) who does not have transportation and that money I was saving for years, since I posted "what amp to get" some time ago... and I did not got it. Excuse me for the language but thats how I feel - Sick & Tired. (I'm really sick guess its SwineFlu or just flu) and... Ladies & gentelman please be kind... Don't judge me all I ever wanted is to play a guitar that sounds and feels good... Thank You.
Mantaz