I'm wanting to record my music off my acoustic guitar and wondering what my options are. Should I get a pickup attached to it or what would be my best bet? I love the way my acoustic sounds and would appreciate any suggestions my fellow musicians.
Pickups for acoustic guitars are only good for live performances. You should take a microphone and try different places for different sounds. You can use two mics if you have.
You can use an Sm57 with an acoustic (love that mic - so versatile) or you could get something like a Rode Nt1a.

If you're shooting for good sound quality a mic is definitely the best option for recording an acoustic.
Thanks guys, I have a microphone so I'll try that and see how it works, and also was looking into a Zoom H2 Digital Recorder, but I'll wait and see how the mic thing pans out
Quote by Beefmo
Do you have an interface? Cos you're gonna want one of those first...

interface? What do you mean like a mixer? I have Crate 8 channel power mixer and Boss RC20XL phrase recorder (loop station), also have Digitech GNX-4 which has a built in 8 track recorder but unfortunitally it's broke atm
Nah, something that will connect you to a computer, a mixer isn't an interface, it's a mixer, it'd be a waste of time plugging a nice microphone into some crumby soundcard, plus for a condenser mic you're going to need an interface with phantom power for it to work.

Something like an M-Audio Fast Track would suit your needs on that front.
Quote by Beefmo
Nah, something that will connect you to a computer, a mixer isn't an interface, it's a mixer, it'd be a waste of time plugging a nice microphone into some crumby soundcard, plus for a condenser mic you're going to need an interface with phantom power for it to work.

I appreciate the help Beefmo, I shall buy one on that note Thanks again m8
Quote by Beefmo

For the same price, you really can't beat this killing match ...

Behringer 802 8-Input Mixer + Behringer UCA202 U-Control Audio Interface,

+

... priced at amazon, NEW, for : $59.95 + $29.99 = $89.94 !!!!
Well you can use Protools M-powered with the Fast Track, it's going to sound better and its less likely to fall to bits two months after you start using it.
Quote by ColdGin
For the same price, you really can't beat this killing match ...

Behringer 802 8-Input Mixer + Behringer UCA202 U-Control Audio Interface,

+

... priced at amazon, NEW, for : $59.95 + $29.99 = $89.94 !!!!

welcome to recording

you get for what you pay for

you put shit in
you get shit

do not listen to that poster

get the m-audio
Quote by CatharsisStudio

get the m-audio

- wimpy output with dynamic mic's,
- hissy with gain turned up,
- no easy switching from headphones to monitoring speaker
- no eq,
- 1 lonesome mic channel, 1 lonesome line channel,
- flimsy plastic case...
Quote by ColdGin

- wimpy output with dynamic mic's,
- hissy with gain turned up,
- no easy switching from headphones to monitoring speaker
- no eq,
- 1 lonesome mic channel, 1 lonesome line channel,
- flimsy plastic case...

A) Thats the old version you fanny.

B) EQ can be used in the box, you don't need some shitty behringer eq coming in on your inputs, thats hardware, you can't change that - if you use it then it will permanently alter the sound.

C) OP only needs one channel (preferably a good one, not some behringer turd - I mean a $25 Behringer interface, are you for real?)

D) The new version has +48v and thus - good output with condenser mics! YAY! Also direct monitoring:

Now tell us we're wrong.
Last edited by Beefmo at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Beefmo
A) Thats the old version you fanny.

Hey, save the name calling for when you really got an argument, not for pulling the newest rabbit on the market out of some catalog.

Ok, I reckon I didn't know about this new Fast Track, spending more time in the basement recording than net-shopping. Would probably have noticed it if they gave it a different name.

I just ordered one, at $120 + shipping, it won't even hurt the beer budget.
I'll come back to let you know what I think about it.

B) EQ can be used in the box, you don't need some shitty behringer eq coming in on your inputs,...

BTW, I didn't call the previous Fast Track "crap". It's a decent product with it's limitations.

You on the other hand are seriously prejudiced. As much as I long stayed away from Behringer products, the combination of the Xenyx mixer and the UCA202 has given me for $100 at least 90% of the production quality I get with a $3000 RME optical ADAT w Focusrite preamp DAW setup, and with all the flexibility that a real physical mixer gives you. THAT's what i consider amazing.

Now tell us we're wrong.

I can already tell you the first design flaw: the "direct monitor" push button switch should have been placed ON TOP of the box, short of having to anchor the box or watch it slide away while trying to push the button with one of my fat fingers.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
welcome to recording

you get for what you pay for

you put shit in
you get shit

do not listen to that poster

get the m-audio

Quote by CatharsisStudio
you are a ****ing idiot.

And you're obviously just a vulgar, litterary challenged prepubuscent snobbish kid who's idea of earning money is throwing your hand in mama's purse short of throwing it in her knickers.
Quote by ColdGin

You on the other hand are seriously prejudiced. As much as I long stayed away from Behringer products, the combination of the Xenyx mixer and the UCA202 has given me for $100 at least 90% of the production quality I get with a $3000 RME optical ADAT w Focusrite preamp DAW setup, and with all the flexibility that a real physical mixer gives you. THAT's what i consider amazing.

wat
Quote by ColdGin

Fanny really isn't much of an insult, I'm really just expressing how I think you should feel with the shoot in the foot moment.

Saving the rest of your pedantry for never, that would be less flexibility then?

And yes, I am prejudice against most Behringer gear, cos most of it sounds like ass, am I honestly meant to believe a $25 piece of plastic sounds anywhere near as good as 3ks worth of RME, eh naw...

I hope you werent sad enough to spend $120 in some desperate attempt to prove me wrong.
Quote by ColdGin

the fact that i'm inclined to believe that you're BS-ing all of us aside...it's that extra 10 (or whatever) % that counts. that's the difference between a good sound and a great sound.

actually, i take that back: 10% is a much bigger difference than i just made it out to be.
Quote by Beefmo
Fanny really isn't much of an insult, I'm really just expressing how I think you should feel with the shoot in the foot moment.

Not much of a foot shot either, considering you bring up a brand new product carrying the same name as the BETTER KNOWN older one, AND not making the distinction. Leaves plenty enough room for ambiguity and confusion.

I hope you werent sad enough to spend $120 in some desperate attempt to prove me wrong.

Naaahh, you can believe I just took your word for it and this review here:

http://www.audiomidi.com/content/reviews/Nuzback_FastTrack2.aspx

I moved away from Protools a long time ago, so it'll be nice to see how it evolved since. AND ... there's the Sansamp collection !!! Great value.

Frankly, it looks like a neat little package to mate with a laptop and a pair of mics.
Quote by climhazzard
....it's that extra 10 (or whatever) % that counts...

Depends on whether:

- anybody is going to pay for it, as in, how badly do they want that extra 10% ?

- who is going to notice it ?

- it REALLY is going to matter when you present what is actually recorded ?

To paraphrase cathar-whatever, brown turd in, gold turd out, it's still a turd.

Frankly, Bob Dylan wouldn't give a turd.
I'm not going to argue the point with you any longer, because despite the behringer love which seems to imply the opposite you seem like quite an astute guy.

I just want to make it clear though, if the OP has wondered what has happened to his poor topic by now, that I think mixers are better suited for a live environment, you don't need all those options if you are a beginner, it detracts from the real learning curve, or as additions to a professional studio (think nice mixing desks not behringer).

And to make it clear to the OP that behringer is unreliable and will fail to shine in a recording situation, I do agree that it is that extra 10% that matters, people notice unconsciously the details, before I got into all this I could tell a good mix from a meh mix, its the little subtleties that make the difference. Same with music in general.