Hello. im trying to learn guitar theory, and i am getting there, but minor keys are confusing me. I know that to find a key, you follow certain notes, like in the key of C, u got Whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step, to get C,D,E,F,G,A,B However, what's the rule with minor keys? can soemone help me here?
Quote by dragozan
Hello. im trying to learn guitar theory, and i am getting there, but minor keys are confusing me. I know that to find a key, you follow certain notes, like in the key of C, u got Whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step, to get C,D,E,F,G,A,B However, what's the rule with minor keys? can soemone help me here?

same thing with whole, half, whole, whole, half, whole, whole i would guess
There are 3 types of minors:

Natural Minor

Harmonic Minor

Melodic Minor

Lets stick to the normal natural minor for now.
The pattern goes: WHWWHWW

So the C Minor scale would go like this:

C, D, D#/Eb, F, G, G#/Ab, A#/Bb, C

You'll notice that the A Minor Scale looks like this:

A, B, C, D, E, F ,G, A

Looks familiar, huh? It's not the same scale as C Major, but it uses the same notes.
That's because C Major is the relative major of A Minor. Same vice versa, A minor is the relative minor of C Major.

Anyway that's the basics, there are some awesome music theory sites that will help and I"ll try to find some.