I don't know what it is, but no matter how much I read up on it I'm never sure I fully understand impedence. Here goes...

I recently bought a peavey valveking head. It's got switchable impedence settings (16 ohm, 8 ohm, and 4 ohm) with two output jacks. I'm using it with my Mesa 4x12 loaded with V30's. It has 4 jacks; one 8 ohm mono input, 2 x 4 ohm stereo inputs, and an output jack. These are my questions;

1.) If I'm only outputting my head using one cable (only utilizing one of the two output jacks on the head) into my cab's 8ohm mono jack, do I use the 8 ohm setting on the head?
2.) If I'm using both jacks to output my head using 2 cables into my cab's 2 x 4ohm stereo jacks, do I use the 4 ohm setting on the head?
3.) (not as important of a question, very obscure but more out of curiosity than necessity as those above are) If for some weird reason I wanted to use the output on my cabinet to daisy chain the signal, what kind of ohm setting shoudl I use on my head?

Thanks a lot guys you're always really helpful with this kind of thing
I play guitar
I can tell you that number one is correct. Number two I believe you need the two jacks together to have a 4 ohm impedance which is different. Three is the same as two I think; you need the two daisy chained cabinets to have a the appropriate total impedance.

I'm not positive about any but number one, but hopefully someone will straighten me out if necessary.

Also, for whoever does come help, I have an old Fender head with a 4 ohm speaker out, then an extension speaker out as well. If I were to run two cabs of these the total impedance would need to be 4, and not necessarily just both 4 ohm cabs... Right?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 15, 2009,
I figured number 1 would be right, but number 2 I'm not sure if I should go 4 ohms or 2ohms, because if we're doing an input into 2 4 ohm stereos, it seems like the amp would be trying to output a 2 ohm load? Or would it be 4 ohms because each output is going to an individual 4 ohm input?
I play guitar
Quote by )Eric(Draven
I figured number 1 would be right, but number 2 I'm not sure if I should go 4 ohms or 2ohms, because if we're doing an input into 2 4 ohm stereos, it seems like the amp would be trying to output a 2 ohm load? Or would it be 4 ohms because each output is going to an individual 4 ohm input?

I just read up a bit and apparently it depends on how the two outputs on the head are wired. If they are in parallel then 2 4 ohm outputs would need a load of 2 ohms. I'm not sure about it if the jacks are wired in series.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's paralleled. But I don't know if I'm making clear what I'm trying to say. Here's a diagram

Each O is either an output or input. So, in this case, with paralleled outputs, and the inputs for the cab being 4 ohms, do I set my head to 4 ohms?
I play guitar
Last edited by )Eric(Draven at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by )Eric(Draven
It's paralleled. But I don't know if I'm making clear what I'm trying to say. Here's a diagram

Each O is either an output or input. So, in this case, with paralleled outputs, and the inputs for the cab being 4 ohms, do I set my head to 4 ohms?

I mean the internal wiring on the head. I don't know much about this, but apparently the jacks can be wired as parallel or series. If they are parallel you would set it to 8 ohms for 4 ohms.

All of this is based on about 10 minutes of research just now, so try to do the same to confirm.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by )Eric(Draven
I don't know what it is, but no matter how much I read up on it I'm never sure I fully understand impedence. Here goes...

I recently bought a peavey valveking head. It's got switchable impedence settings (16 ohm, 8 ohm, and 4 ohm) with two output jacks. I'm using it with my Mesa 4x12 loaded with V30's. It has 4 jacks; one 8 ohm mono input, 2 x 4 ohm stereo inputs, and an output jack. These are my questions;

1.) If I'm only outputting my head using one cable (only utilizing one of the two output jacks on the head) into my cab's 8ohm mono jack, do I use the 8 ohm setting on the head?
2.) If I'm using both jacks to output my head using 2 cables into my cab's 2 x 4ohm stereo jacks, do I use the 4 ohm setting on the head?
3.) (not as important of a question, very obscure but more out of curiosity than necessity as those above are) If for some weird reason I wanted to use the output on my cabinet to daisy chain the signal, what kind of ohm setting shoudl I use on my head?

Thanks a lot guys you're always really helpful with this kind of thing

I'm thinking that each of your 4 ohm outs in stereo go to either 2 - 4 ohm jacks on your cab or 1 - 8 ohm jack on your cab. The cab is wired Series/Parallel I'm sure and the 2 - 4 ohms jacks are connect in series for 8 total.

If you run in series, you simply add everything up. If these are guitar cabs you generally want to be at either 4, 8 , or 16 so two sixteen ohm cabs in series would not work well (32 total)