Hello,

I've been thinking of building an extension cab for my Fender Champ 600, and I'm curious about what you guys would say about a few of my choices.

1) I was thinking about tearing out the 12" Celestion speak from my spider III 75, seeing as how I hate it. I would use it to make a simple 1x12

2) I also have two ancient fisher xp 56s speakers. They are for like home stereo stuff, and have an 8" woofer and two little tweeters each. I was thinking about just wiring an input jack so that it runs to the inputs on the backs of the speakers and using them as a sort of pseudo 2x8.

I checked the impedence of all my speakers, and they should work fine. Would the fact that the fishers have tweeters be at all bad for my tone? Or should I just go with a tried and true 1x12?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
the 112 should work just fine, but using the stereo speakers won't sound very good...

they might sound okay, if you're just fooling around and aren't super picky, but since they're made for hifi stereos, you probably won't be impressed..
Thanks man, I think I'll probably just end up using the 12
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

don't use the stereo speakers, they were built for processed music, the rapid volume changes from and instrument will cause them to break really fast...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Guitar speakers are designed to withstand the peaks of movement that are taken out of recorded music. Hi fi speakers are also much less efficient than guitar speakers so they will sound really wimpy.
That all does make sense. I'm relatively new to building cabs/working with amps, so thank you guys for the advice.
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Another question/bump:

I'm now considering making a 2x12, and my question is what speaker would compliment my 12" taken from my spider III. It's a Celestion G12P80 (8 ohm), but I plan on wiring the two in series so it makes a total impedance of 4 ohm. I would like a cheaper speaker, preferably less than $70. Any suggestions?
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

If you want a total impedance of 4 ohm, then you need two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel.
As for speaker recommendations, how many watts will you be running?
Quote by cedricsmods
If you want a total impedance of 4 ohm, then you need two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel.
As for speaker recommendations, how many watts will you be running?

I meant parallel lol. I will just be running 5 watts through it. The Celestion I have seems a bit dark and bassy, so maybe the other speaker should be a little brighter and chimey?

EDIT: I've been reading about the Eminence Patriot series, and am liking the way the Black Powder and Screamin Eagle sound. Anyone have experience with those and/or a similar speaker in the same price range?
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

Last edited by barden1069 at Nov 18, 2009,
bumpity bump bump
Gear
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!