Hey, I'm a total newbie to recording, so bear with me.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a cheap way to record songs from my acoustic guitar (with no electric pickup) onto my laptop. If I could record vocals in the same way, that would be a bonus. I want to record it so that I can put the acoustic track into a mixer and then add synth or drums.

This brings me to my next question, which would be a cheap yet decent mixer for me to get? I've heard that most of them don't work on laptops... Any suggestions?
Quote by Gord_90

Essentially what I'm looking for is a cheap way to record songs from my acoustic guitar (with no electric pickup) onto my laptop. If I could record vocals in the same way, that would be a bonus.

Take a mic, a cheap sennheiser or shure should do at first. Then get a stand for it and place it in front of your guitar, done.

Since you live in UK, look at this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_e_822_s.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_pg57xlr.htm

Quote by Gord_90

I want to record it so that I can put the acoustic track into a mixer and then add synth or drums.

You don't need a Mixer for that, you need a Sequencer, something like Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, or cheaper stuff (Cubase Essentials works to and is only 150$/75$ for students.)
Quote by Gord_90

This brings me to my next question, which would be a cheap yet decent mixer for me to get? I've heard that most of them don't work on laptops... Any suggestions?

Depends on what your laptop has inside.
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
Last edited by svelle at Nov 15, 2009,
on a limited budget (which i am assuming based on the post) i would suggest a condensor mic and an audio interface. 2 channel interface would probably be better, but 1 channel would work. i myself like the m-audio fast track, other people like the line 6 toneport and there are a few others out there in that price range as well. for a cheap condensor, well ive always liked the mxl 990 for a budget. runs about $70 or so. most other cheap condensors that ive seen recomended are almost twice that. if youve got the money, i would go for one of those (cant think of any off the top of my head). but USB interface + condensor mic = acoustic track. same thing for vox and you should be good to go.