Lottsa players get a harmonic effect by sorta hitting the string with their thumb as they pick. Is there a way to get the same sound when I use my fingers?
Yes
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
You would have to pluck the string, then rest your thumb on the node. It is possible.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
you could, it's not like it's the material in the pick that's creating the pinch harmonic
yes...and yes...learn how to do then with a pick..pretend like you're holding a pick even when you're not (same index/thumb shape) and brush the string with the edge of your thumb as you pick through.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
yep, there's one way although you need to be fast and precise, you place a finger on your right hand at the point of the twelth fret harmonic when playing a note (similar to tapping), vibrato string as usual and if done correctly you will produce a pinch harmonic.
(I was dead impressed when I got shown this a few months back :P)
prolly if you strum w/ ur index fingernail then get the mute with ur thumb. you'd haveta be really talented otherwise.
Yes bassists do it. It's not easy though. I've never heard of it on guitar, probably due to the relatively lower amplitude of harmonics on guitar against bass.

work out where the a.h. you want will be and place your thumb on the string at that point very lightly, pick the string with one of your remaining fingers.

compared to normal pinch harmonics this is a very sensitive technique, having slightly too much pressure, slightly too much thumb in contact with the string for too long will kill it. Also you must be in PRECISELY the right place or it won't sound.

easiest way to practice is to try and hit natural harmonics with only your right hand using this technique they sound louder) then move on to artificial ones

lesson which explains all in ~60s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGI2x8YW8Uk

for an example of their use - check out birdland -jaco pastorius
Last edited by doive at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Krenfro213
Harp harmonics are probably the closest thing without a pick.
how are these done? lemme a message please.
Quote by ShuterTater117
prolly if you strum w/ ur index fingernail then get the mute with ur thumb. you'd haveta be really talented otherwise.

This is right..you can definitely do this. I do it all the time
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
I've actually found it to be a lot easier than with a pick... i often mock my co-guitarist by playing them with my thumb and forefinger... good stuff
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
You can literally "pinch" them - the idea is your finger plucks the string, your thumb's damping the harmonic node then you move both of them away from the string. It's kind of halfway between pinching and snapping your fingers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by chuckmehh
yes...and yes...learn how to do then with a pick..pretend like you're holding a pick even when you're not (same index/thumb shape) and brush the string with the edge of your thumb as you pick through.

This. You literaly do the same motion as though you're doing a normal pinch harmonic with a pick. Hold your index and thumb like you are holding the pick, hit the strings with your finger, then allow the thumb to brush over the strings afterwards.

You don't have to do the node 12 frets higher like some people have suggested, although doing that is a great way to add an effects to chords.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I tried this out before, it worked but why not just use a pick? you jeff beck or something?

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
I can't confidently do pinch harmonics in any case, but it is possible to rest your thumb on the node while picking with your index finger.

Quote by foo_diddles
I tried this out before, it worked but why not just use a pick? you jeff beck or something?

Some folks are just more comfortable using fingers than picks? Some will find it more natural to pluck strings than hit them with a little piece of plastic or whatever material...