So I wanted to get a really versatile guitar capable of playing jazz for my school's jazz band but also some of the heavier, higher gain stuff I play on my own time. I tried out a standard MIM Strat at the local guitar center and fell in love with its clean tone, but I'd definitely want to replace the bridge pickup with a hot rail so I could get better distorted sound.

My question is- what would the difference be between a SSS Strat with, say, a Blackout or a Super Distortion in the bridge, or just getting an HSS Strat?
get a strat with a humbucker in the bridge and coil tap it.
You wouldnt be able to put a Blackout in it anyway because active and passive mixing is not a good idea. A strat with a bucker in the bridge would be a good plan and you would get a lot of options for what to put in there
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by tom708
get a strat with a humbucker in the bridge and coil tap it.

yeah, if you're willing to do this it would be best for you, i think. especially with something like a super distortion. they work great for high gains OR cleans i think. and if you didn't want a HSS setup dimarzio has a single sized super d too.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
For me, I see it like this:

If you value the bridge more as a single then put a stacked in and install a coil split.

If you value it more as a humbucker, then get a HSS with a split installed.

This is because I tend to find that stacked humbuckers (as in, single coil size) split a LOT better than humbuckers. My opinion, but worth considering.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay