I have had a guitar for about 5 years now and not too long ago my dad bought me a new one and I haven't been practicing hardly at all because I'm not sure where to start, I have been just messing around with tabs but on every song I have tabs on I can only play a little of I can't play the whole thing, apparently staring at tabs all day isn't working or I'm doing something wrong, is there a technique to practicing? Do I need to learn scales first? If so which ones? I'm totally clueless I have no money for a trainer and I can't find anyone who can play guitar near me all I know is that I can read tabs and pluck a string.

If It's just the tabs that are hard I'm into anything metal..or on the other hand I'm taking the wrong approach on this please explain..thanks..
that's how i learned at first. not the fastest way, but it kept me interested. when i felt particularly motivated, then i started to focus on technique and stuff by playing exercises and scales.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I say just stick at it, you'll get the hang of it. That's how I started out anyway.
And don't learn scales yet, it'll just bore you and it probably won't help you out a lot yet.
I have to say I pretty much learned that way as well, I just fixed myself on tabs moreover but then once I got the hang of it I took interest into penatonic scales which brought me even further, you kinda teach yourself different things later on, or at least that's what happened to me
Try learning songs where you KNOW you will be able to play all the way through. You likely have been looking at tabs beyond your skill level
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
"Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the first song I learned on the guitar. It's extremely easy and sounds cool. You could try that one or just about any of the other Nirvana songs.
" There's just so much to be said ...

So much is running through my head

In a time staggered on the end

Maybe now we can pretend ? .. "
Last edited by Vanted at Nov 15, 2009,