Well, I'm not sure if I'm doing my right hand (picking with fingers) technique right.
I have a couple of questions...

1) when you put your thumb on top of the pick up... Does your palm/thumb edge stay on the body of the bass if kinda lifted up?

2) can anyone please tell me the correct right hand positions (sideways angled pics would be a great help!). Can you please tell me ABSOLUTELY every aspect of the right hand technique, I'm really thinking I'm doing it bad...

Thanks for the help everybody!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
take a picture of your technique. there are a million right ways.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
if im playing on the B or E strings then yes my palm is on the bass on A or higher it's not. Idk if this is "correct" but it's what i do and it feels right.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Okay, and umm...I'll try to take a picture, but my camera is broken so it'll be a little bit until I can post one
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
what do you mean by the first question? i'll try and get a pic of how i play anyway.
EDIT: my in built webcam thingy is crap and i can't find a normal camera of any sort. pics shall not be possible.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Nov 16, 2009,
I think your best bet is to find a good teacher and have him or her take a look at what you are doing. Thirty minutes with a good teacher can do a lot to show you proper right hand techniques and give you something to work on. Nothing beats having a qualified instructor actually watch you play and evaluate your technique (or lack thereof). Barring that, check out some good instructional DVDs. They can be a great deal of help if you don't have access to a good teacher.
Well, the thing is...I don't want to waste any money on lessons because I know they are useless (I can already play the bass pretty fluently, since I played the guitar before). Also, there is the possibility that I'm doing it right, I'm just not sure. So lessons are a no for me.

HOWEVER, does anyone know a site kinda like this one:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

but for bass lessons?
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
^ lessons are amazing, I used to think they were useless too, for my first 3 years or so of playing bass. But taking lessons helps you out more then anything else, even if you think your already "fluent." As for your first questions, a picture would be nice, but for the thumb-on-the-pickup question, I don't see how it matters too much where your thumb/palm edge is, whatever is most comfortable for you would be ideal
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
^ lessons are amazing, I used to think they were useless too, for my first 3 years or so of playing bass. But taking lessons helps you out more then anything else, even if you think your already "fluent." As for your first questions, a picture would be nice, but for the thumb-on-the-pickup question, I don't see how it matters too much where your thumb/palm edge is, whatever is most comfortable for you would be ideal

Okay :P

But, as for lessons, I might take some later on, but for now I'm just playing some typical rythms and everything. When I start learning Apreggios (how ever you spell them), and more techniques, then I'll look into that ;P
You can steer yourself,
You're on your own,

- Dr. Seuss
While I certainly disagree that lessons are a waste of time, you don't have to sign up for an indefinite number of lessons to get help with your right hand technique. As I said, thirty minutes with a good teacher evaluating your technique can make a world of difference. The teacher can tell you if you are doing everything properly, or if he or she sees something that can be easily corrected. Then you just need to work on what you are told, and you will probably see dramatic improvement.