Page 1 of 2
Ok I only have my guitar down a whole step and I think some of my riffs are pretty cool, but alot of the greatest riffs are in just plain old Standard Tuning. I was just wondering how you think some of the best guitarists would view de-tuning. I don't want people to think I'm untalented because I have my guitar down a whole step.
R.I.P. Paul Gray 04/08/72 - 05/24/10
Only the good die young...
The music may have died but the memories will live on in our hearts forever...
I'm gonna miss you Paul... Maggot for Life...
There are a bunch of really talented bands and musicians that tune down a whole step. What do you care what other people think, if you think your riffs sound cool?

EDIT: Bands like Necrophagist, Wintersun, Symphony X, (old) Children of Bodom, Death, and tons more all tune down a whole step.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Last edited by COBHC728 at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by BlockFour
I think your average listener won't notice.

Good point. I just to want to get categorized with the bands who tune extremely low and throw in some drums and scream a lot and think that they are a band. I want to keep REAL music alive.
Ever listen to......metal?????
Bands like Children of Bodom, The Human Abstract, DAATH, The Faceless, The Black Dahlia Murder and tons of others downtune their guitars and are rly good. And....

Ahem.......BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME!!!!!
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
I can't explain it but like I'll be in Standard and can't think of anything. But I'll pick up my RG that's a whole step down and then all of a sudden I'll find something cool sounding. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense cause it is still, in a way, the same tuning. But I just like it better. It feels right to me.
Quote by BigZman95
Good point. I just to want to get categorized with the bands who tune extremely low and throw in some drums and scream a lot and think that they are a band. I want to keep REAL music alive.

Real music? You realize music is very subjective and these musicians clearly enjoy what they are creating?

As to the topic at hand, stop caring what people think about what you are doing. If you like it you're doing something right.
i think u should just tune down ur guitar until the lowes chord u play (open 6th string) sounds simply "rigth" to u, for example me, i use Drop B because when i began to tune down my guitar and experiment with different tunnings i found out that even when i played the lowest chord, i felt the need for a lower note, so i kept tunning down and down until i reached the B tunning, then i changed for drop cause i wanted the solos to still sound "high" and also the fatest strings r better for my playing style and the music i listen and play, now... u do look cool when u say u tuned down ur guitar, u look kind of different, kind of... well, cool xD

some ppl think this way: " the lowest, the coolest"
*note: i'm not saying this is true, and i don't think this way
agree!, the feeling u get when playing heavy riffs in the fatest strings is just great, u feel the strong heavy vibration thru all the guitar, ur shoulders, ur hands, ur arms, ur body... ur heart!!, u can feel the power, YEAH!
as i said eralier, keep tunning down until the lowest chord u can play sounds just like that, the lowest note u think a guitar should have
it's cool, but if you start a band and have songs with down tuned guitars then you run the risk of being labeled 'nu metal'

Do so at your own risk!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by iforgot120
A Perfect Circle plays in Db standard and they have so many perfect songs.

a perfect circle is amazing!!!

and so is queens of the stone age. they tune down to C sometimes.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Mastodon!!! I like drop a, but it's almost an effect to me. 1 step down is nice though, E sounds too high for my liking but whatever works.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
I just have to say this: tuning your guitar differently doesn't make you less of a musician.

I think some bands do it for the vocalist (any of you that sing should realise than some keys are easier to sing than others, depending on the person).

I think there is a limit, though. I mean, there is something that exists called a "bass", played by a "bassist"...

I don't agree that "E Standard" is too high at all, remember, this will still overlap with the range of the bass- so, together in a band, you can still reach all the notes. Sometimes a higher guitar is a good thing- for clarity.

I think, if you want your guitar tuned to "drop B" all the time, you might want to consider buying a bass lol because you just lose the top notes of the guitar aswell.

Would you ever see a violin tuned down to the range of a viola (or cello)? I don't think so. There's just no need sometimes.
Quote by JAHellraiser
it's cool, but if you start a band and have songs with down tuned guitars then you run the risk of being labeled 'nu metal'
Do so at your own risk!

Depends on the musical style and how low he will detune. Nile and Cephalic Carnage detune to hell and back and still no one would call them nu-metal.
"I would happily pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today"

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
Quote by BigZman95
I can't explain it but like I'll be in Standard and can't think of anything. But I'll pick up my RG that's a whole step down and then all of a sudden I'll find something cool sounding. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense cause it is still, in a way, the same tuning. But I just like it better. It feels right to me.

Me too. Ill be playing in standard and cant seem to think of anything, but then switch to my d standard guitar and come up with some awesome solo.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
It's already been mentioned a couple times, but...

Tony Iommi, the very man who invented heavy metal guitar, frequently plays in C# Standard tuning.
Is this a joke? It doesn't matter what tuning you are in and it doesn't make you a bad guitarist for tuning low.
nothing wrong with down tunings, bands like bodom and weezer use D tuning....

i think you're talking about drop-tunings like drop-d or drop-c. a lot of people look down on these tunings because they think the only purpose of it is to make power chords easier (barred... thx slipknot), when its actually necessary for a lot of hard riffs (as blood runs black) and sometimes acoustic stylings (andy mckee)

ahh man, i know what im talking about but i think i just misspelled everything in that paragraph
Last edited by Piano-Forte at Nov 17, 2009,
people will judge you on your talent. a more important question you should ask yourself is if you suck.
Meshuggah tune to F (and Drop E on one song) and they're two of the most respected guitarists in metal at least if not music as a whole right now.

Down tuning doesn't change your skill and anyone who disrespects you purely because you tune down is an idiot whose opinion should be ignored.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
IMO down tunning doesn't and shouldn't define a genre or stllye of music.

What it should do is characterize the emotion you are looking for in a song.......ex...hard to write a pretty little melody in drop B...it just doesn't or rarely happens.

So don't get so caught up in down tunnings and drop tunnings and just go for what you hear in your head wether it be in standard tunning or not.

Anything I can play in standard I can play in a down tunning, and it totally can change the mood of a song...but I think most metal bands down tune to more or less match or equal the singer vocal range.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Exterminatus
Depends on the musical style and how low he will detune. Nile and Cephalic Carnage detune to hell and back and still no one would call them nu-metal.

I don't like going any lower than Drop C, and so far I haven't. I've thought about Drop B maybe, but I have often thought that any bassist I would have would get severely angry. I think Drop C and D Standard are good tunings for me because I can get both rock and metal sounds from them. And I'm not even writing Metal as much as probably I guess Hard Rock. But I still have a feeling I'd be labeled Nu Metal. But I don't care what iTunes or whoever says I am. I'm really my own genre I guess...
There are so many opinions on this as there are guitar players I think this is really subjective, and if you like your D tuning, you should play in it, never caring what others say.

I'm tuned down to B all fourths tuning and I can't get enough people saying Why that low? Why P4?" - WHY F*IN NOT! I like the fat sound, the wound G string...and with C as the highest note, I'm losing only 4 frets of range with my 24-fret RG.

I'm a fan on Meshuggah, BTBAM, Gojira, Strapping Young Lad...I love that sound and I think that is enough to be an excuse.

As for invading bass territory...that is why there are 5-string, 6-string and ERG basses. I think ERG bass guitars are the most awesome instruments in the world, besides 8-9 string guitars of course. Why wouldn't a bassist want more strings too? Everyone likes some extra range, in case he ends up with some of maniacs like us in low tunings

I think the main reason low tunings get less respect is because of all those guitar players that thrash it.
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
Quote by DudE132
Is this a joke? It doesn't matter what tuning you are in and it doesn't make you a bad guitarist for tuning low.

+1

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Meshuggah tune to F (and Drop E on one song) and they're two of the most respected guitarists in metal at least if not music as a whole right now.

I beg to differ
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Nov 18, 2009,
But I still have a feeling I'd be labeled Nu Metal.

What you'll find is that stupid people will always hate things for stupid reasons.

Like for example, the fact that you tune too low and scream and aren't a real musician.

Reap what you sow, bwai, reap what you sow.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I beg to differ

Your disagreeance doesn't invalidate the respect they get from any number of other sources.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Your disagreeance doesn't invalidate the respect they get from any number of other sources.

I think that they have incredible chops as well but "the two most respected guitarists in music" right now?.
I wouldn't even really say that they'd top most people's metal top 10.

Then again, popular sentiment is foolish.

http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-metal-guitarists.asp (Meshuggah beaten by Lemmy)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/top_metal_guitarists.html (Number 35)

Then again, Bleed scaring everyone has probably shifted them a few places up.
I think a lot of people make fun of down tuned guitars, (ex: So i wnet 2 geetar centur 2day and dis kid waz playin slipnot wif his drop lmnop nd i caled him a n00b.)
But really, does it matter as long as it sounds good? I'm not bagging on Slipknot, I really like them. Mick Thompson is a beast. Down tuning gives you access to lower octaves of notes, at the expense of loosing some of the higher octave notes that really aren't played as much. The third poster listed some bands that drop tune and they create some really good music. Do what you like.
Quote by Freepower
I wouldn't even really say that they'd top most people's metal top 10.

Then again, popular sentiment is foolish.

http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-metal-guitarists.asp (Meshuggah beaten by Lemmy)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/top_metal_guitarists.html (Number 35)

Then again, Bleed scaring everyone has probably shifted them a few places up.

It makes me sad that Bjorn Gelotte & Jesper Stromblad are so far down on that list.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

lol what?!
Page 1 of 2