When I use an amp simulator I constantly hear a high pitched buzzing sound.

Even when the guitar isn't plugged in I can hear the noise, not as loud though.

And also I often hear a tapping noise when I first plug it in.. then it goes away randomly.. what's going on?
Pretty sure I answered this same question by you on another thread, anyway...

Amp simulators simulate real amps, so therefore they make the same ugly noises real amps make.

Your best bet is a noise gate plugin, such as ReaGate:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/reaplugs/index.php

Insert that vst into your signal chain before everything else and then bring up the threshold to an appropriate point until the noise stops.
Quote by Beefmo
Pretty sure I answered this same question by you on another thread, anyway...

Amp simulators simulate real amps, so therefore they make the same ugly noises real amps make.

Your best bet is a noise gate plugin, such as ReaGate:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/reaplugs/index.php

Insert that vst into your signal chain before everything else and then bring up the threshold to an appropriate point until the noise stops.

Yeah I know sorry that was a different question earlier.
I'm getting aggravated.

I'm saying, even without my guitar plugged in it's making higher pitched buzzing noises. I'm not entirely sure it's from the amps. Every one I tried has this and some are worse than others.

I downloaded 2 noise gates and they didn't really help. One noise gate that was already on the program worked okay when I put the threshold up. Then after I strummed something or played something the noise would come back (the buzzing).

What can I do?
Quote by mick13
Yeah I know sorry that was a different question earlier.
I'm getting aggravated.

I'm saying, even without my guitar plugged in it's making higher pitched buzzing noises. I'm not entirely sure it's from the amps. Every one I tried has this and some are worse than others.

I downloaded 2 noise gates and they didn't really help. One noise gate that was already on the program worked okay when I put the threshold up. Then after I strummed something or played something the noise would come back (the buzzing).

What can I do?

Well I usually raise the threshold of the noise gate up to the point where I don't get any breakup at the tail end of my signal, I'm finding thats about -45dB, fiddle about with the attack and release times too and see if that helps.

If its not the guitar then that does away with any grounding issues, its highly unlikely to be the interface, I don't suppose you've checked the input cables or left them plugged in when you were checking for noise?

At any rate if a noise gate is eliminating some of the problem then I think you have to work with that. What interface are you using out of interest?
Quote by Beefmo
Well I usually raise the threshold of the noise gate up to the point where I don't get any breakup at the tail end of my signal, I'm finding thats about -45dB, fiddle about with the attack and release times too and see if that helps.

If its not the guitar then that does away with any grounding issues, its highly unlikely to be the interface, I don't suppose you've checked the input cables or left them plugged in when you were checking for noise?

At any rate if a noise gate is eliminating some of the problem then I think you have to work with that. What interface are you using out of interest?

I'm using just a USB cord that connects it to the computer?

I download that link to the noise thing and it just stopped all sound.

I don't know if I should return the cord. Is that it making the noise?

EDIT:

The wonderful noise:

Last edited by mick13 at Nov 15, 2009,
Nah the 1/4 inch jack you're using to plug into the inteface...

Edit: uh yeah, thats definitely not normal, whats plugins are you running on your channel and in what order?
Last edited by Beefmo at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Beefmo
Nah the 1/4 inch jack you're using to plug into the inteface...

Edit: uh yeah, thats definitely not normal, whats plugins are you running on your channel and in what order?

It does that even if I'm using no plugins. It just gets worse with plugins. I was using that free Peavey plugin. And one from the thread the other day "best free Amp Sim."

EDIT: I'm starting to think I just got a fucked up cable
Last edited by mick13 at Nov 15, 2009,
very well could be the cable. I finally broke down and bought a high priced (high priced for me anyways) guitar cable from the Guitar Center. WOW! What a difference! I was used to the cheapies - this Monster cable i bought is WHISPER QUIET with my interface and with my Amps too. You really do "get what you pay for". And cheap cables can be noisy as hell.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by strangedogs
very well could be the cable. I finally broke down and bought a high priced (high priced for me anyways) guitar cable from the Guitar Center. WOW! What a difference! I was used to the cheapies - this Monster cable i bought is WHISPER QUIET with my interface and with my Amps too. You really do "get what you pay for". And cheap cables can be noisy as hell.

How much is cheap?