could someone please direct me to a set of instructions on how to tap? i know theres kind of 2 kinds of bass tapping. one way which i know of and hate, and another kind which is more or less just guitar tapping on a bass. any help is appreciated. sorry i couldn't make it any clearer.
I kinda got the hang of it watching Victor Wooten's videos on youtube, if that helps
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
There's a lesson on here about that, sorry I don't have a link.
Hi, Im currently working my way through this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/two_handed_tapping_on_bass_guitar.html

wasnt that hard to find; have a look in "lessons" its got plenty of stuff (Im almost living there when I have my bass in my hands)
What form do you not like? I was under the impression that there were three forms (tapping the octave, tapping a whole step up, and tapping perfect 5th's)
Quote by the666thmessiah
Hi, Im currently working my way through this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/bass_lessons/two_handed_tapping_on_bass_guitar.html

wasnt that hard to find; have a look in "lessons" its got plenty of stuff (Im almost living there when I have my bass in my hands)
What form do you not like? I was under the impression that there were three forms (tapping the octave, tapping a whole step up, and tapping perfect 5th's)

thank you for the help and advice, chances are ile be pm-ing you micehorns. and thanks for the link. im not sure what they are called. i just no the tapping i have a problem with is the "normal, proper" bass tapping. where you pluck an open string and basically do a hammer on.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
thank you for the help and advice, chances are ile be pm-ing you micehorns. and thanks for the link. im not sure what they are called. i just no the tapping i have a problem with is the "normal, proper" bass tapping. where you pluck an open string and basically do a hammer on.

Huh? Tapping is tapping, whether it's on a bass or guitar. No open string required.
Quote by Micehorns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts0trO59Du8

I think this is the best instruction video on Youtube. If you need any tabs for this, just PM me!

This was actually very enjoyable, thanks . Shame he didnt go over the last bit but if i look the performance over enough maybe i'll figure it out. Sounds great.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
ok so i checked out all that stuff and got tapping down pretty decently, now i need some good solos/parts of songs with good bass tapping if you guys could once again help me that would be very nice.

thanks for the advice i have already received.
There are a few fun tapping parts in these songs by Protest the Hero, but they're pretty advanced;

Bloodmeat
Palms Read
The Dissentience
Bone Marrow
idk if this is what your talking about, but ryan martinie uses a type of tapping where he taps an octave, but does it percussively so it almost like slapping the note and octave
Quote by herby190
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIyUEG5fBE

This is a vid I did that I think you might have fun with; if you're having trouble following it, I could tab it out for you.

yea man that was pretty bad ass, it would be cool if you tabbed if for me =D

i checked out blood meat and and learned that tapping part pritty good so thanks for that too man.

thanks some more for the help =D
I learned Eruption... just look up the guitar tab, and just transpose the tapping part(start on 12p5h8)
Quote by mtshark
I learned Eruption... just look up the guitar tab, and just transpose the tapping part(start on 12p5h8)

lolz thats the first one i learned, i was disappointed really, it sounds epic but ended up being meh lol
ok so i got the tapping down decently. i can play eruption and blood meats tapping bit; sloppily but practice makes perfect. ive also started writing one or two of my own tapping parts and was thinking of ways to make it better. are there any specific rules to writing tapping lines? or is it basically the same as any riffs(what ever sounds good)? also i was thinking of using some effects, delay and distortion. i have a multi effects pedal but i plan on buying delay and distortion asap anyways. so i guess im asking what does the forum think of that?

any advice is appreciated and thanks again for what i have already received.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
ok so i got the tapping down decently. i can play eruption and blood meats tapping bit; sloppily but practice makes perfect. ive also started writing one or two of my own tapping parts and was thinking of ways to make it better. are there any specific rules to writing tapping lines? or is it basically the same as any riffs(what ever sounds good)? also i was thinking of using some effects, delay and distortion. i have a multi effects pedal but i plan on buying delay and distortion asap anyways. so i guess im asking what does the forum think of that?

any advice is appreciated and thanks again for what i have already received.

As well as different effects, you could try other techniques like adding percussive tapping on muted strings, tapping harmonics, messing around with different rhythms.

Strangely enough, it was listening to Wes Borland on Limps first album that got me interested in tapping (I thought it was on bass when I first heard it), here's an example of just jamming with octaves then building it from there. (On guitar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4IPNSL5HY

Effects wise ; I think a chorus and delay sound nice for slow, melodic tapping. On my profile there's a song I done for Bass Wars years ago, the tapping bit uses a wah pedal, which I thought sounded nice.

In terms of writing songs with tapping, remember that you now have an advantage in so far as you can cover a wider range of frequencies, you can create a bassline that leads a song while creating a catchy melody with your right hand tapping for example. Oh and learn about chords and building chords, it helps a lot when writing tapping bass lines.