All right guys, my friends and I are going to have a TF2/TFC/L4D/L4D2/Borderlands LAN party at my apartment over Thanksgiving since we all have work off. However, none of us has a network switch, and I only have a Netgear Router with 4 Ethernet out ports on the back.

I was thinking that by plugging all 4 computers into the Ethernet outs, and hosting a server on my computer, that the ping would be relatively low since all computers shared the same modem?

Would the connection still be split four ways since four computers are plugged in? I would not be using a dedicated server, but a locally hosted one on my computer.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I have a dynamic IP set up and port forwarding to allow uTorrent to actually be of use. Although I highly doubt they would interfere, could this prove an issue?

Also, could there be any NAT issues between the computers?

2(Edit): I have 1.5 DSL (192 kb/s)
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Last edited by yurfinlfntsy at Nov 15, 2009,
no, in modern routers the connection doesnt split between the computers. you all get the same speed.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Yea, pings would be fine. Even better though I'm pretty sure you can use your router as a switch and just host locally. As for the dynamic IP, it won't cause problems. All the other computers should just be able to pick up an IP, just make sure you have your IP range more than 3 IPs which I'm pretty sure you do.

EDIT: Are you wanting to just play you four or are you wanting to get on the net because when you say LAN party I assume you just mean the people at the party. If you're wanting to get on the internet scratch my first idea and your connections will be fine split four ways.
Last edited by Caleb B at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Caleb B
Yea, pings would be fine. Even better though I'm pretty sure you can use your router as a switch and just host locally. As for the dynamic IP, it won't cause problems. All the other computers should just be able to pick up an IP, just make sure you have your IP range more than 3 IPs which I'm pretty sure you do.

I've had 12 laptops running off this router at one point (It's from my office...we had T1).

I have a large IP range, so that shouldn't pose a problem
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by Caleb B

EDIT: Are you wanting to just play you four or are you wanting to get on the net because when you say LAN party I assume you just mean the people at the party. If you're wanting to get on the internet scratch my first idea and your connections will be fine split four ways.

No, we're just playing each other, not in any other games.