OK, so I have an Epiphone valve Junior Extension cab. The speaker in the cab is rated at 70 watts. Is it possible to use an amp head that is greater than 70 watts with this cab? Will it blow the speaker in it?

I'm planning on getting a new amp, and I've been looking at some solid state heads that are 100+ watts. I don't really want a big 4x12 cab or something like that.

Is it possible to use a head like that with this cab?

I googled for a while but I wasn't sure what terms to search for and I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks guys.
You can use an amp of higher wattage than the cab..

You just won't have the headroom as you usually would have with a cab of equal or higher wattage handling.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
You can use an amp of higher wattage than the cab..

You just won't have the headroom as you usually would have with a cab of equal or higher wattage handling.

Do you mean I won't be able to crank the amp up or that it will simply be more distorted at a lower volume type thing?

Thank you for the quick post!
OK...

Yes you can crank the amp.

Lets say for example you use a 100 watt handing cab with a 100 watt amp... if you were to crank your volume and even if you go to 11, your distorted signal will sound purely of power or pre amp distortion. There will be no speaker distortion.

Now if you were to use a 50 watt handling cab with a 100 watt amp... if you were to crank your volume... by the time you reach 5 or 6... you'll start hearing unwanted fuzz and distortion from your speakers. Hence you introduce unwanted speaker distortion.

That's all. Your speakers will not be able to effectively handle the extra power after a certain level... however below that level, the performance will not be severely impacted.

Your preamp and power amp distortion will still be there... its just that you'll experience speaker distortion.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 15, 2009,
Ok, so the closer to the wattage the less unwanted fuzz and distortion then.

I suppose its for the best because if I could totally crank it without unwanted noise the cops would be here pretty quickly I imagine.

Thanks!
Quote by big_aug
Ok, so the closer to the wattage the less unwanted fuzz and distortion then.

No, the speaker distortion only comes in after a certain level (which differs between the different cab and head combination).

Below that level... you'll not have any speaker distortion at all.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 15, 2009,