I'm back! Miss me? I'm sorry it's been so long, I've been a busy little soldier recently. Anyway, to business.

Weezer - Raditude (2009)

So it's pretty safe to say that for the past few years, Weezer have been well off their beat. After putting out a couple of pretty boring, unimaginative records, and Rivers playing the 'mystic' on musical hiatus I'd given up on Weezer putting out another decent record any time in the near future.

I was oh so very wrong.

Raditude, released just this month is the best Pop-Punk record I've heard for a long long time. Back to their brilliantly satirical ways, Weezer open up with a real barnstormer: (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To is in no uncertain terms, catchy as hell, and it sets a real standard for the rest of the album. The hilarious I'm Your Daddy is pop-punk by the book, with Cuomo spinning a tongue-in-cheek tale of a verile young man's pursuit of his dream girl. A twisted lament over thick guitars and a tasty synth line, this is one of the standout songs on the record. The fourth track Can't Stop Partying is an ironic tribute to the 'gangster' club scene, and features a surprise vocal appearance from Lil' Wayne. Oh, and that tasty synth is back again.

Mid-way through the album Cuomo indulges his Avant-Garde side, with Love Is The Answer featuring backing from a sitar, and a pair of traditional Indian vocalists. Despite this minor digression, we're soon back to basics with Let It All Hang Out blazing a trail towards the record's penultimate tracks.

In my opinion the album closes as strongly as it opened, maybe I'm just blinded by the reocurrance of that beautiful synth sound, but the much more mellow and moody sound of I Don't Want To Let You Go feels like a really fitting climax to an excellent record.

To be honest, there's very little to say about Raditude, aside from the fact it's straight-up Pop-Punk, straight-up Weezer, and bloody brilliant. Full of hooks and singalongs, this one left me smiling for hours after listening. Pick it up. It's well worth it.
Last edited by fake_sk8r182 at Nov 15, 2009,
It's probably my second favourite Weezer album (first being Pinkerton). I'm glad they stopped making tunes like Beverly Hills
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
It's probably my second favourite Weezer album (first being Pinkerton). I'm glad they stopped making tunes like Beverly Hills
You like this album more than Blue? Really???? Cuz Raditude sucks so much. Honestly I think it's my least favorite Weezer album, especially cuz I got some hope from their Kids/Pokerface cover. It's not what I wanted out of a Weezer album; the lyrics are ridiculously juvenile, which is sad considering that they're all almost 40. Now I don't want my Weezer to be serious, but Rivers singing about how he's "Your Daddy" and how he "Can't Stop Partying" just seems silly. Maybe that's what they were trying to do, but it's not for me.

Also I'm glad you wrote this up, Dave. I've started several, but have discovered that I have a hard time writing about music as of late.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I didn't like this one either. It seems like they're trying to mask their age with immaturity. Definitely my least favorite of theirs.

In my opinion they've simply continued their steady descent.

Also, I don't mind doing an AotM once in a while if you ever need one.
Quote by element4433
You like this album more than Blue? Really???? Cuz Raditude sucks so much. Honestly I think it's my least favorite Weezer album, especially cuz I got some hope from their Kids/Pokerface cover. It's not what I wanted out of a Weezer album; the lyrics are ridiculously juvenile, which is sad considering that they're all almost 40. Now I don't want my Weezer to be serious, but Rivers singing about how he's "Your Daddy" and how he "Can't Stop Partying" just seems silly. Maybe that's what they were trying to do, but it's not for me.

Also I'm glad you wrote this up, Dave. I've started several, but have discovered that I have a hard time writing about music as of late.

Wow... I totally overlooked some of their stuff.
Y'know what, I take that back. I still like this album, but yeah... I take back what I said.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Wow, resounding no about Raditude then? I agree it's not really appropriate considering how old these guys are, but equally, it's quintessential Weezer. I made sure I wasn't listening thinking "Damn...these guys are 40 now" because that would ruin it. For me it was the same Weezer that recorded Pinkerton and Blue. They're probably never going to grow up.
^I liked it, so much so that I apparently overlooked a wide array of their material in order to call it my second favourite album by them. It's isn't actually my second fave, but I agree with you on a lot of points.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I thought it was alright compared to their last two records, but awful compared to their early stuff, which sort of puts into perspective how rubbish the newer stuff is.

Cheers for doing this though Dave, much appreciated.
Quote by bassbeat77
Also, I don't mind doing an AotM once in a while if you ever need one.

That would be quality.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

I'll definately be checking this out. I've only heard the Blue album and the Green album but I really like what I've heard.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
The only reason I will even be considering listening the new album is because of this thread... so I'm holding you personally responsible if I'm disappointed.
I'm an asshole.
so I've never really been a fan of weezer (I decided to buy the red album when it came out cause I thought pork and beans was catchy but soon found out that entire album blew. I didn't even have their previous stuff to compare it to....)

but I started listening to this and I really like it.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I think people are giving this album a bit of a hard time by comparing it to the Weezer of yesteryear. It's really a significant improvement on anything they've released for almost ten years, and for me that makes it more than worthy of a listen. Agreed, it's no Pinkerton, but have Green Day ever put out a new Dookie? Jimmy Eat World a new Clarity? Taking Back Sunday a new Tell All Your Friends? You see what I'm getting at...I hope.
That's the reason why I don't listen to any of those bands or Weezer anymore.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by fake_sk8r182
I think people are giving this album a bit of a hard time by comparing it to the Weezer of yesteryear. It's really a significant improvement on anything they've released for almost ten years, and for me that makes it more than worthy of a listen. Agreed, it's no Pinkerton, but have Green Day ever put out a new Dookie? Jimmy Eat World a new Clarity? Taking Back Sunday a new Tell All Your Friends? You see what I'm getting at...I hope.

I agree until Taking Back Sunday. New Again was pretty close.
But otherwise, agreed =D
Quote by r-bizzle182
I agree until Taking Back Sunday. New Again was pretty close.
But otherwise, agreed =D

woah, heavily disagree. New Again was a great album but it hasnt got anything on TAYF... lacking in dual vocals, lacking vocals - adam doesnt have the same passion he used to...
I'm in the middle of listening to the album for the first time. I think it's good so far. It was meant to be very poppy and that's exactly what it is. Let it All Hang Out is going to be stuck in my head for weeks.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by fake_sk8r182

Quote by the_astronaut
That's the reason why I don't listen to any of those bands or Weezer anymore.

Yeah, I just don't listen to anything new by those bands anymore. Solves that problem.

And I can understand saying Raditude is better than Red or Make Believe, but I could hardly agree that it comes anywhere close to Green or Maladroit.

I'm glad that some people liked it though, so at least it was worth whatever effort they put into it.