First off, I'm new here so I apologize if this is the wrong place for this thread(I'm fairly certain its not though)

I've played bass for about a year and a half now, and I've been in a pop-punk band, a rock/metalcore band, and messed around with an acoustic side project. I play a Palmer 4-string electric that I run into my Peavey TNT-115 Combo. I'm starting to get more interested in effects pedals and creating new sounds with them, so I'm looking for some advice.

The first pedal I got was a Boss DS-1 distortion. It's meant for guitar, but the band I was with at the time needed a cheap way to fill out our sound after our rhythm guitarist left, so I got it to add a little grit to my basslines. I'm thinking about pawning it off and upgrading to a Boss Bass Overdrive, but it might not be worth it if the end result is a similar sound.
Recently I got a Boss SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer pedal(I've become quite a fan of Boss pedals, if you haven't noticed) and I love it. It might not seem very practical for use in a band, but I've written a few dance-rock/powerpop-ish lines that I'll work into breaks or lead lines when I start up in a band again. It's been given a lot of bad reviews, but I love it.
I'm going to invest in a Boss BCB-30 pedalboard soon( I don't mean to sound like a Boss fanboy, it just seems like a convenient way to keep my stuff organized and the thirty dollar price tag is very appealing) and I want to buy a third pedal to fill it up and keep experimenting with new sounds. I'm considering a chorus pedal, and of course i'm looking at the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus.

So my main questions that i'd like to hear everyone's opinions on are if I should upgrade from my distortion pedal to a bass overdrive, if my third pedal should be a chorus and what opinions on the CEB-3 are, and how i should daisy-chain my pedal board. I don't know much about how the order of the pedals affects the sound, so I'd appreciate feedback on that as well.

Well, I didn't mean for this post to be so long, but I would appreciate any feedback and people's opinions.
Thanks.
Quote by MPica
I don't know much about how the order of the pedals affects the sound, so I'd appreciate feedback on that as well.

order makes a very large difference. for instance, you'd be able to bend much more with an EQ before AND after a distortion/ gain stage.

i used to put my super overdrive before my acoustic simulator and i favored the tone much over the simulator being first in line. i used to love boss. but i eventually started noticing real tone loss. to make that DS-1 more adaptable, you might wanna change the capacitor on its tone control. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747311 has a layout for the DS-1, you by no means have to mod it, but playing with it's tone may make it more bass compatable, but if you like it as is, don't bother. i'm just a guitarist (i rock a native american flute too, but that doesn't have sh** to do with this) but i find a chorus more useful for cleans. so you may want to consider an a/b box, nd possibly an A/B for bypassing the effect chain to minimize tone draining.

actually, thought just occurred, this should be in GGA, reported for move, you'll get more help there
Last edited by blandguitar at Nov 16, 2009,
This is more for GGA. If this thread about actually building a pedalboard from scratch, it would be okay. Just FYI.

The DS-1 is a lame distortion...but that doesn't mean you should get another Boss. I would look at getting an EHX Big Muff (or clone) or a Way Huge Red Lllama or something.
Check out the Son of a Bee at stompunderfoot.com, or ask him for a Civil War Muff with a mid control. The Muff naturally scoops mids, so you'll fall out of the mix in a band situation.
Ahh, sorry for posting in the wrong thread.
As for the DS-1, like I said, it was just a cheap way to get my sound a little grittier. Whenever i use it now its always with my synth pedal, usually on saw or square wave settings.
I know boss pedals aren't the most favored and mostly viewed as beginner type, but i've played around with lots of different brands, and for whatever reason, i still like boss.

I appreciate all the feedback by the way, thanks.
I've tried the EHX Big Muff, and I liked it. I considered it for awhile, but wasn't sure. I haven't tried the others. I also have literally zero knowledge about modding pedals.
And I'm still unsure about a chorus pedal. I'm starting to think that it just won't be all that practical to use.