Hey guys I'm wanting to step up my recording efforts into a custom rack mounted DAW only problem is I'm a newb and don't know wtf I'm doing, that aside I was wondering what companies do you recomend I buy parts from? I'm gonna use the parts from my desktop for the internal's but I need to know what type of case to use and who makes it and what type of interface would be good I'm thinking RME Hammerfall 9652 PCI card for the interface and of course using Reaper for software but what else will I need to make this work? My current system specs are an AMD Athlon dual core 2.21 with 2 gigs of ram and a GEFORCE video card will I be able to transfer these parts to a rack mounted rig? Thanks in advance
Awha???
How do you get a "Digital Audio Workstation" on rackmount?
DAW is a recording inteface, which is on your PC. Nothing else.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Awha???
How do you get a "Digital Audio Workstation" on rackmount?
DAW is a recording inteface, which is on your PC. Nothing else.

Please don't post about things you don't understand.
how much do you want to spend ?

you could go for an intel i7-920 with a asus p6t deluxe motherboard, 6 gigs of ddr3 RAM and a GeForce 9400. It's a bit pricy, but it would last a long time before you'll need to upgrade again
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Most rack mounted pc cases accept standard pc motherboards. I would invest in some better software than reaper though, maybe Adobe Audtion. Its fairly inexpensive compared to other DAW software and has all the same features as them. As for the interface, what is your budget and how many inputs, outputs do you need,want. Will you be using outboard gear, or all internal? There is alot of things to consider with an interface, give us some more info.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
This is GB&C, I think it'd be very hard to build a DAW.
Note: "Gear Building and Customization", which the rules state, you have to do some form of building, and I do not believe this is one of them...

This, however, would most likely belong in R&R.

Cubase is the best IMO.
What i would ask first is what sort of rack? Iirc, a Server or PC rack is about 17.5" wheras your standard audio rack is 19". Having said that, you can get 19" rackmount PC cases which accept standard PC hardware, as long as it's tall enough. I was thinking of getting one myself, but i figured for live recording i'd be better off just using a laptop.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Ok sorry it took so long to reply, I need atleast 8 inputs to mic a drum set and I'm thinking an 18" gator box with a 17.7 rack mounted cpu case on casters, with a slide out tray for a keyboard but how would I mount my 20" flat screen to the top and what card's do I need to make the interface work? I know I'll need the interface and possibly a tI firewire chipset? dunno please explain
You are definately going to need Firewire, if you are planning on recording 8 Mics Simutateonasly(Terrible Spelling).
For your interface, I reccomend a Presonus FP-10(Firepod). They can also be daisy chained to 3 other Firepods, making a total of 24 inputs. They are pretty cheap($300 at Guitarcenter)

I'm not sure if this is the type of interface you wanted, but seeing the firewire, made me think you want External recording interfaces.

To make your compter work, You'll Need RAM(at least 2 Gb, to just barely get by)
A processor(Dual cores work fine)
A motherboard
CD/DVD drive
Hard Drive(Your going to want 500 Gb, and maybe even external drives)

This is where I stop typing, because I do not want to miss the bus this morning. However nice it'd be to skip school, I cannot.
Quote by Captain Capo
Ok sorry it took so long to reply, I need atleast 8 inputs to mic a drum set and I'm thinking an 18" gator box with a 17.7 rack mounted cpu case on casters, with a slide out tray for a keyboard but how would I mount my 20" flat screen to the top and what card's do I need to make the interface work? I know I'll need the interface and possibly a tI firewire chipset? dunno please explain

If you're getting a PCI card, then you won't need firewire. The thing about the RME hammerfall is that it's a very good card but you'll need to have mic preamps with digital outputs. That's what i'm wondering first. Do you want an all in one interface with preamps or are you going to have outboard? Also, how much money do you want to spend on the interface?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well that's a good question I dunno if I want all internal interface or external which would be better?
Quote by Captain Capo
Well that's a good question I dunno if I want all internal interface or external which would be better?

Well really internal cards as i said tend to be for if you currently already have outboard A/D conversion and mic preamps. Assuming you don't want this level of gear, then probably an external one would be better, which has A/D conversion and preamps included. I would reccomend you avoid buying an M-Audio interface since they suck. Firewire is without doubt the best external interface really, so avoid getting a usb one since it won't be as good.
EH