So, transcribing. When you guys transcribe, how do you go about it? Do you listen to the song/solo a lot until you can hear it in your head, THEN go about figuring it out on your instrument, or what? Right now, I listen to a bar or two, play it on my instrument, then notate it on staff paper.

Also, what are some good jazz tunes (preferably trumpet) to start with transcription? I've already started a few Miles tunes, All Blues and So What. Any others that wouldn't be too difficult? Thanks.
When I transcribe I first listen to the song lots and learn to love it because if I didn't like it why would I transcribe it. Next I use software to remove unwanted instruments such as drums, vocals, bass, so I can hear just the part I'm trying to learn. Then depending on difficulty I slow it down and start with the chorus because in most songs the verses reflect the chorus so once that's down I've already gotten 80% of the song. Whatever works best for you is the best style. Theres no one way you must transcribe. As for songs to transcribe I couldn't tell you any as I"m not much of a jazz listener. Best of luck to you!
get a real book find some easy songs to play, find versions of people playing trumpet on that song and transcribe the solos or sections, by lisening to it over and over and the go through and do it bit by bit
the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Quote by GibsonRocker14
you can use guitar strings to skin carrots....

wait.... wuttt???
solfege
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by timeconsumer09
So, transcribing. When you guys transcribe, how do you go about it? Do you listen to the song/solo a lot until you can hear it in your head, THEN go about figuring it out on your instrument, or what? Right now, I listen to a bar or two, play it on my instrument, then notate it on staff paper.

If i like a song i transcribe it or measure by measure (easy solo, or chords) or note by note (difficult solo). Most of the times you can already hear what will be played (if you know the song and a bit of music theory).
I find what helps is to get it in my head, or at least the chunk i aim to transcribe, by listening to it before going to my instrument. If i'm doing it to get an accurate transcription rather than to be able to play it on that instrument, I also find it really helps to get the rhythm written out before I turn to the instrument. But that may just be because I find notated rhythms quite difficult, so I like to get it done in isolation; so that may not be so helpful to you, but it does break it down if the piece is difficult.
Chameleon by Herbie hancock
Blue train by ?????? (i forgot)
Take Five by Dave Brubeck (not trumpet though)
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by timeconsumer09

Also, what are some good jazz tunes (preferably trumpet) to start with transcription? I've already started a few Miles tunes, All Blues and So What. Any others that wouldn't be too difficult? Thanks.

1) get familiar with the material (listen - enjoy - appreciate)
2) work it out phrase by phrase

good tunes? there are lots of them. IMO you're better off listening and deciding based on your own tastes.
shred is gaudy music