As I've searched, and seen, people don't really like the Thunderbird, (wishing i would of looked this up before I bought it, but o well I do like it though)

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of pickups should I put in it to reduce the muddy sound (i don't have a bass amp yet so idk going by forum gossip) I wanted to put actual Gibson Thunderbird pickups in it but I thought I'd ask and see what everyone thought. I'm (soon) to be recording some stuff from metal to rock and maybe other stuff so a solid pickup is need.

My eye is on a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp, I want a Fender amp (because I have a fender Guitar amp) but if anybody has any ideas for one that is cheaper than the one im wanting for better sound or anything please let me know

Thanks alot from a n00b bassist

Thrasher
I'm not a fan of them in general. They neck dive like there's no tomorrow and have no fret access I don't think you can actually reach past the 16th fret or something with any ease. I'd say just use EMG's they will render what ever the woods influence is well null, EMG's sound like EMG's in my experience.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by RivercrestColts
As I've searched, and seen, people don't really like the Thunderbird, (wishing i would of looked this up before I bought it, but o well I do like it though)

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of pickups should I put in it to reduce the muddy sound (i don't have a bass amp yet so idk going by forum gossip) I wanted to put actual Gibson Thunderbird pickups in it but I thought I'd ask and see what everyone thought. I'm (soon) to be recording some stuff from metal to rock and maybe other stuff so a solid pickup is need.

My eye is on a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp, I want a Fender amp (because I have a fender Guitar amp) but if anybody has any ideas for one that is cheaper than the one im wanting for better sound or anything please let me know

Thanks alot from a n00b bassist

Thrasher

First of all, plug it in - maybe you will like the sound? I completely do not see reason of changing pups when you did not even hear your bass or playing with different EQ.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I bought a Thunderbird too this weekend. No complaints yet. Concerning the neckdive, yes, it's there but can be solved quite easy. Just add another strap button below the neck.

For sound, Gibson's or EMG's are both a good choice if you want to change the PU's.
I seriously want a T-Bird. I'm thinking of getting an old beat down one, buying myself a cheap 5string neck and bridge and maybe EMG's, if the stock pickups fail me
Get an amp first. Try your bass on amplifiers until you find one through which it sounds the way you want it to sound. Buy that amp. Switching out the pickups becomes unnecessary.
First off, on the amp, you can do better. Fenders, especially the Rumble series, are so-so at best. They're not bad, but not particularly stellar in any category, you could do better for the price. When it comes to the bass . . . the Gibson T-birds I've played I found to be just about as muddy as their little brothers, so I'm not sure Gibson pickups would help (if you could get ahold of them). EMG's are transparent, and should help your tone as previously mentioned.

Definitely get an amp first, and try it out, some people love the T bird sound when eq'ed right
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i got an epi thunderbird IV and i got the sound i want with my gallien krueger amp.
Quote by herby190
I saw an article in Bass Player on this guy who kind of did a blend between a Thunderbird and a Fender; here's the link. Might me worth checking out, just go get ideas from.

http://bassplayer.com/article/mike-lull-/November-2009/102269

The Fenderbird lives! All honor and glory to John Entwistle for popularizing this modification (he might not have invented it, but he may as well have done so).
How much do you have to spend on amps?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Peavey TKO , $350. Great amp, 400w 115 combo. Hard to beat for that price. Leaves you some extra money for a decent bass, perhaps a used MIM Fender Jazz?

EDIT: Just noticed they're not in until February, if you can wait.
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 16, 2009,
^ but the TKO will be sexy-licious when it comes out

Check out Ashdown, a lot of people will recommend them, especially the MAG300. If you look used in amps, you can usually strike gold. Looking for a used Eden Nemesis or G&K might turn up some good results too. Especially look used on the cab, you can get some great cabs for around $100 - $200
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
neck dive is where the bass is neck heavy. The neck is heavy enough, that if your standing up, using a strap, the neck "dives" towards the floor. Basically, the neck tips the whole bass towards the ground, forcing the player to hold the bass up with their left arm (or right arm if your playing a lefty) while simultaneously fretting notes.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Mr chip man (lol) you know were i can find one of them online (maybe ebay)

I just want a good sounding amp that will go with my Super Champ, its a excellent sounding amp and i don't want the bass to be left out in sound quality ( even though i have a thunderbird ) for recording and such

Thanks
Last edited by RivercrestColts at Nov 17, 2009,
focus on the bridge pickup, crank the tone to full.

actually sounds pretty nice. only t-bird sound I'd use.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yesterday, I drilled a hole in the body of my T-bird, below the neck and placed a new strap button. Now the neckdive is completely gone!!! :-)
Quote by the humanity
focus on the bridge pickup, crank the tone to full.

actually sounds pretty nice. only t-bird sound I'd use.

Yeah, use that bridge pup. I'm not a big fan, but the t-bird can be a lot less muddy than most of the epiphone basses. If you take it easy on the neck pup and emphasize the bridge one instead, you should be able to get some pretty clear and articulate notes out of it.

...Now if you had an EB-0, there'd be absolutely no way you could ever find a usable tone
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 17, 2009,
EMGs would be nice however you wont get a whole lot out of them without also buying some sort of active EQ to go with it. so if you dont want to spend the money on a EQ i recomend gettign the emg HZ pickups over the actives.

duncan makes good soapbars too look into them too.

if i could redesign a thunderbird i would make the pickups jazz neck and MM bridge that would be very juicy blend of agressive attack sound and old school neck sound. doubt those 2 pickups would fit in the stock routing tho
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
On the amp front: for the Ashdown, you can get one new on musiciansfriend.com for $400. If you search used (and I highly recommend you do) for amps, just troll craigslist and ebay. It may take a while before anything comes up, but I find great prices on used Ampegs, Edens, G&K's, and cabs all the time. It'll just test your patience, but those sites are gold mines. Also, I'd say visit every music store that you can, and try out as many amps as you can to find out what exactly you want, then look for it used online or in a store if its just out of your price range
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have a thunderbird and i use an Acoustic brand amp. 4 band EQ and i got it pretty cheap. it sounds almost like a p-bass. ALMOST. its got the higher tone. not quite as muddy as usual. i turn the neck pup all the way down and the bridge pup all the way up. sounds much better.