So I'm wondering if i have to be louder as the sole guitarist to match the output of two in a band. I know its mostly two amps and whatnot, but how loud should I aim for with unmiced drums and how exactly would i go about finding optimal volume since my experience has been that someone is always out of the mix? If this question has been answered please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
What do you mean how loud? Loud enough to be heard but not so loud that you´re the only one heard.
it's not really too hard. one guitar amp would have to be louder as opposed to two amps running.

it's hard to say 'how loud' you should be exactly... just be loud enough so that you and everyone else can hear you clearly without drowning out anyone.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
My bandmates are too stubborn for a sound check. I have to shout at them to stop wanking so i can tune my guitar up from drop. The real issue is mostly balance since our drummer plays with a pair of hammers and we have to be above the snare, any good ideas on room setup?

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
I was thinking along the line of Haz_uk. Pretty much you have to go through and keep tweaking it until you have a sound where everything sounds fine. Bands dont have 100% set volumes (like set vol to 7) for it every time because acoustics are always different depending on where you are. Outdoors vs inside is a good example.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
get a new band?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
So your band wont do checks? You wont get anywhere with your current band. Give up now and never look back. With your current band I mean. They aren't serious enough for you. If you are worried about how you sound, you need a different band.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I like my band, we click. (and there are very few metalheads in dc) I just have to give them the iron fist for the non fun stuff. Problem is that no one can ever hear everything, and that will just come down to tweaking. I would like to save my voice for the songs but whatever...
Side-note: Will keeping our volume at the bare minimum help in this issue?

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
The lower your volume the easier it is to hear everything that is going on. That is dependant on your drummer.
if they don't wanna do soundchecks just blast your sh!T
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
your band sounds a bit like my prob...........
we R all best mates but, we all used to love rocking it out, but as we got older peoples style have changed and we find it very hard to agree on songs....
i am the more retro sorta guy (Gtr)..... love 80's and 90's rock and jazz infused stuff
our drummer was a rocker now converted to dubstep and electronic stuff, (he doesnt mind muse)
our other gutiarist likes new rock and pop stuff
singer...... he isnt even sure what he likes.... rap, blues, country, rock etc.
keyboard/pianist.... likes old pop stuff (#boring)
bass player.... quite like me... just not as rocky

any song suggestions for a Cover performance would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
coz they all rely on me for finding songs.... we are still in school and dont have enough time to write stuff, although when we do its pretty good.....
Last edited by chambersj171 at Jul 14, 2016,
I really haven't had this issue in a while.
Ever since I started using a 1500W power amp with my modeler.

But the fact is, the rest of the band needs to dial it back a bit when there's a solo happening. That's #1.

Second, if you're blanketing the entire frequency spectrum with your guitars, no one will ever be heard "in the mix."
If you're the solo player, you should be heavy on the mids and the secondary guitar player (for purposes of the solo) should be doing something OTHER than mids. Simple physics, really. The human ear hears mids most easily. And if you drop the bass OUT of your solo, you'll be able to put a LOT more of your amps power into the mids without wasting it trying to reproduce really low notes accurately.

So have the other guitars dial back during the solo (ditto the drummer; they DO have control over their dynamics OR you need other bandmates OR you need a sound guy who can control THEM) and you set up your amp/pedals/guitar to have a lot more mids.

Or buy a power amp with 1500W.
Sounds like you need to have a serious band meeting, you need to convince the rest of them that some discipline is going to be needed for the band to sound good as a whole.

I had a guitar player in my old band who was a good friend before we were bandmates, now the drummer, bass player and myself were on the same page during practice there are times for quiet instruments so discussion can take place. This guitar player just wanted to wail on lead (or try to) so all of the issues and arranging fell on the rest of us. Every time we would stop so the bass or myself could tune or to try to discuss and arrangement or for me to show the drummer a riff so he could do his thing this other guitar player would just start oodling away on whatever and we could not hear let alone concentrate.

Finally I just told him that when we are talking or working something out he had to either join the conversation or be patient and wait but the constant oodling was stopping the rest of us from moving forward. He got all butt hurt but stopped then left the band a few weeks later telling mutual friends we would not let him practice leads during rehearsal. We moved on and remained friends eventually he wanted back in, we let him with the stipulation that he really need to be part of working things out and disccussing stuff and not just oodling while we were doing it.

It's called a band for a reason and takes everyone's cooperatrion to work.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by chambersj171
your band sounds a bit like my prob...........
we R all best mates but, we all used to love rocking it out, but as we got older peoples style have changed and we find it very hard to agree on songs....
i am the more retro sorta guy (Gtr)..... love 80's and 90's rock and jazz infused stuff
our drummer was a rocker now converted to dubstep and electronic stuff, (he doesnt mind muse)
our other gutiarist likes new rock and pop stuff
singer...... he isnt even sure what he likes.... rap, blues, country, rock etc.
keyboard/pianist.... likes old pop stuff (#boring)
bass player.... quite like me... just not as rocky

any song suggestions for a Cover performance would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
coz they all rely on me for finding songs.... we are still in school and dont have enough time to write stuff, although when we do its pretty good.....

Hello,

Try not to bump 7 year old threads. If you want to discuss this topic its better to make a new one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.