I was looking into different boosts. I had a SD tube mayhem and it didn't have enough gain for what I wanted and It sounded a little muddy I thought. So as the greart Alexi Lahio does I was thinking about putting a boost in my guitar to get a some more gain and for the heck of it.

So what is the difference between the SD pu booster and onboard boosters like the EMG PA-2 and ab and the neal moser booster?

Also what do you guys think of the EMG Alexi set? That has a preamp eq and boost.
the SD pickup booster is just a glorified gain knob.

id suggest just a simple EQ pedal. use the level to add gain and the EQ to shape the sound you want
Last edited by JayLacelle at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by COBHCHCDR
I was looking into different boosts. I had a SD tube mayhem and it didn't have enough gain for what I wanted and It sounded a little muddy I thought. So as the greart Alexi Lahio does I was thinking about putting a boost in my guitar to get a some more gain and for the heck of it.

So what is the difference between the SD pu booster and onboard boosters like the EMG PA-2 and ab and the neal moser booster?

Also what do you guys think of the EMG Alexi set? That has a preamp eq and boost.

really? christ man, what are you playing?

...what amp are you using, and where was the gain set?
Quote by GrisKy
really? christ man, what are you playing?

...what amp are you using, and where was the gain set?

extreme metal.

Ibanez RG570 w/ stock pu's Vox stupid modeling amp (50 watt 1x12) and I tried the SD twin tube mayhem with my rig (guitar center lets you return used gear.) I had the amp set on a clean channel and it wasn't the sound I am after. I looked through reviews some ppl said it had enough gain and some ppl said it didn't.
Quote by COBHCHCDR
extreme metal.

Ibanez RG570 w/ stock pu's Vox stupid modeling amp (50 watt 1x12) and I tried the SD twin tube mayhem with my rig (guitar center lets you return used gear.) I had the amp set on a clean channel and it wasn't the sound I am after. I looked through reviews some ppl said it had enough gain and some ppl said it didn't.

Your issue is your amp. Don't get me wrong, they're good amps, but not for 'extreme metal'. Also dirt boxes on the clean channels of these amps are generally not the way to go, especially for hi-gain stuff. I'd reccomened a new amp more suited to what you're after. The valvetronix do not excel at metal, even the XL series. They're just not tight enough without modifications and you may as well get a better amp.

Just my £0.02
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Your issue is your amp. Don't get me wrong, they're good amps, but not for 'extreme metal'. Also dirt boxes on the clean channels of these amps are generally not the way to go, especially for hi-gain stuff. I'd reccomened a new amp more suited to what you're after. The valvetronix do not excel at metal, even the XL series. They're just not tight enough without modifications and you may as well get a better amp.

Just my £0.02

yea. I agree with that but I want to spend money on another guitar instead of an amp. Looking around for a Jackson RR24.

What amps? Anything around $400 USD?