I recall there being a thread with tube recomendations but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a recomendation?
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Tung Sol
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
tung sols are ok but can be a little thin/harsh and in my opinion don't have the best overdrive character

the best ive had a chance to try are actually 5751's. NOS Jan Phillips 5751s that is (GE ones have good name too): they have slightly lower gain than 12ax7's (hardly noticeable really) but a really good voice and wonderful when overdriven. they have quite a british edgy character to them whilst being warm, not at all harsh, and articulate. they also have a more linear feel to them than the tungsols in that controlling overdrive with your guitar volume feels better.

don't let the NOS status put you off as they are a real bargain. i got mine (watford valves) for about the same price as any other new production 12ax7 but there is a definite jump in quality.
Last edited by clear and blue at Nov 16, 2009,
if you are dropping them in that b-52 in your sig then go with jj's. To me tungsols fatten up too much when pushed hard in a modern sounding amp.
I would rather be a good liver than have one
Keep your eyes open for old radio gear, or cruise through a ham radio swap meet.

I just cannabalised an old 60's broadcast wave amplifier (I think...) and ended up with some great stuff. Piles and piles of carbon comp resistors, 4 or 5 clean ceramic tube sockets, and 5 RCA US blackplates and two no-name/wiped label ecc83s. All look clean, and the RCA's all tested out great, sound great.

I traded the guy a beat up old sm57, so total investment: maybe $30.
Quote by Rutch
Keep your eyes open for old radio gear, or cruise through a ham radio swap meet.

I just cannabalised an old 60's broadcast wave amplifier (I think...) and ended up with some great stuff. Piles and piles of carbon comp resistors, 4 or 5 clean ceramic tube sockets, and 5 RCA US blackplates and two no-name/wiped label ecc83s. All look clean, and the RCA's all tested out great, sound great.

I traded the guy a beat up old sm57, so total investment: maybe $30.

sooooooo jealous!