Anyone understand the differences between the 5150 III and the older 5150 series?

I understand the Version 3s are made by Fender instead of Peavey. But do they sound the same? Does the Version 3 have more/less gain?

Does anyone know?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
The EVH 5150III is one of the most versatile amps I have ever played. It really can do anything. It has just as much gain as the Peavey 5150's but has a wonderful clean and a really awesome crunch sound too. Brilliant amp.

If I recall correctly, I remember Randy (riffhog) actually preferring it to his Soldano SLO.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Less gain than the 5150s that Peavey made...but the cleans are miles better on the 5150 III. Is it worth the money.......eh....I probably wouldn't buy one new. But yeah, they are great amps.
Yes, the 5150III is a great amp, sounds much better than the 5150/6505 series. But it is a giant rip off considering it is made in Mexico. I wonder what Fender's profit margin for those are...
They are pretty alright. I played one in the fender office. I thought it had WAYY more gain than the 5150/5150II. Its a much more versatile amp, and all the channels are really nice.

Almost unrealistic to play on the highest gain channel unless you have the gain all the way down or use your volume knob on your guitar to roll it back.

But... It didn't have the dark, evil, raw tone that peavey's 5150/6505 has. Maybe I had a bad impression, but it sounded much brighter. It seemed much better for van halen style music (obviously), while the peavey version seems to be the goto death metal machine.
/rig
Quote by Yngwi3
The EVH 5150III is one of the most versatile amps I have ever played. It really can do anything. It has just as much gain as the Peavey 5150's but has a wonderful clean and a really awesome crunch sound too. Brilliant amp.

If I recall correctly, I remember Randy (riffhog) actually preferring it to his Soldano SLO.

This is true. For a while, I was truly in love with the 5150 III. I still love it, but I sold it for a number of reasons once I realized I could dial in the SLO to do everything the 5150 III could do, but with a significantly more articulate tone. The 5150 III is large & heavy, I decided not to play a fanboy amp once I joined a house blues band Bought a small 20W Class A amp instead, because I didn't need 3 rigs that did the same sounds. The 5150 III IMO has considerably more usable gain than the other 5150/6505s, & sounds a hell of a lot better at low volumes. The EVH amp sounds damn good at bedroom quiet levels. It nails EVH's tone fairly closely right out of the box, but I have a re-amp rig I use when I play VH covers that sounds better actually.
Also, the 5150 III has the Fender cleans as well. As versatile as you'll ever need. It's actually like having 3 separate amps (all w/ their own EQ section) all foot switchable.
I wouldn't mind getting another one sometime, but I just didn't need one now.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Yngwi3

Listen to the Tone Nazi.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
old 5150 is just really loud and bright.... It sounds cool but a bit noisy. The 5150 III is really a different amp. It has much less gain than its older brother but its first and second channel sound amazing. The third channel has loads of gain and there are lots of different opinions on it. I hardly use it since i get crazy feedback. In the end you gotta hear it for your self and play it loud. Plan on buying the matching cab since it really does sound its best through it.