I'm buying a used Peavey Valveking 212 off of ebay. They seller said he would deliver it which means I'll get to try it out before I buy. What should i check to make sure it works ok? I've never had a tube amp before. Should I just play and see if it sounds good or do I need to check something else? thanks

He says it's in great condition by the way so I'm not expecting problems
Last edited by phoenix_crush at Nov 16, 2009,
Check the controls to make sure they work. Check the power cable and make sure the ground pin is still in place and that there are no rips or tears. Listen for excessive noise on both channels (excessive hum/hiss, popping, static, squealing, crackling). Make sure there are no unusual smells (burning plastic/rubber) coming from the amp. Have a quick look at the tubes and make sure they're all glowing.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I'll let someone else post, haha.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Check the controls to make sure they work. Check the power cable and make sure the ground pin is still in place and that there are no rips or tears. Listen for excessive noise on both channels (excessive hum/hiss, popping, static, squealing, crackling). Make sure there are no unusual smells (burning plastic/rubber) coming from the amp. Have a quick look at the tubes and make sure they're all glowing.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I'll let someone else post, haha.

alright, thanks for the info
^ That's about it. Play it through all inputs, and channels. Adjust every knob and see that it works, and listen for scratchiness while you turn them. Basically make a mental checklist of each feature and test that each works. Other than that, just listen. If something sounds weird just avoid it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
^ That's about it. Play it through all inputs, and channels. Adjust every knob and see that it works, and listen for scratchiness while you turn them. Basically make a mental checklist of each feature and test that each works. Other than that, just listen. If something sounds weird just avoid it.

That's what I figured, thanks