For me, life is about doing only good things for other people; helping others and giving them hope and belief in themselves.

I believe each person does this differently, for me it's through music. I'm sure a lot of you feel that way. Just listen to your favorite band or favorite record and just notice how much of a positive effect it has on it.
I mean positive in a way, that even negatively, it has an effect on you, like connecting with your pain or sadness.

But my question... or really just thought of the day is when does it become too much that you do things for other people to fulfill their life but, despite all the joy and happiness you bring, it leaves you feeling partially empty or with desires of your own?

How long does it take to

I believe, unless you fulfill your passion in life, no matter if you make the entire world as happy as can be, that all the magic and cosmos still won't be fully open to your soul.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
you're on the earth for two reasons

1. procreate
2. make yourself happy
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
I don't really understand the question but I do like your avatar.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
lol are they all pictures of you? thats strange
GO Islanders!

That's john frusciante
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i know what you mean, i try my best to help other people, friends and family ect, but no one returns the favor and i end up feeling alone 90% of the time, the rest of the time I'm with music in some way, it's really my only friend.
Quote by Kensai
I don't really understand the question but I do like your avatar.

That about sums it up for me
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by sketchy z
lol are they all pictures of you? thats strange

It's all John Frusciante as far as I can tell.

Either way, you can't go around in life only trying to fulfill other people, you end up hollow and empty with no real happiness of your own. Helping others when and if you can is all very well and good but you have got to look out for number 1.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I guess I mean, When does it become too much when you try to do nothing but good things for people, as your sole purpose in life, and try to make everyone happy, that it makes you almost unhappy.

like going to college for your family because they want you too, but it means you give up something else, that you would rather do

Or working for someone, instead of spending the day with friends or loved ones.

I feel that those are almost simple things, though in comparison to my actual thoughts. For example. Having a series of meaningless jobs, because the person dependent on you, wants security, and you end up sacrificing the one thing you love, but you also want to make them happy.
I don't mean doing things you don't want to, like miniscule tasks, like doing the chores, or babysitting or something, but almost bigger things, in the real aspect of the universe and the cosmos

I guess I mean when is it too much to sacrifice your own well being, for someone else, even though you want to make everyone feel good.

i hope that helps
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Either way, you can't go around in life only trying to fulfill other people, you end up hollow and empty with no real happiness of your own. Helping others when and if you can is all very well and good but you have got to look out for number 1.

I don't think so, I believe the more you help out others and just give and not expect anything in return and be selfless, the better you feel. It puts good energy into the world

If you start to do that the real Number 1 (God, the universe, Spirits, who/whatever you believe in ) will start to look out for you. It's just the way the universe works, in my life at least.

It also releases all of those bad energies too.

But I think that it only goes so far, as to helping yourself, in return.
Quote by Kensai
That's john frusciante

haha okay, well the one with the red hat or whatever looks a lot like you but avatars are small pictures i guess
GO Islanders!

Quote by TDKshorty
I guess I mean, When does it become too much when you try to do nothing but good things for people, as your sole purpose in life, and try to make everyone happy, that it makes you almost unhappy.

like going to college for your family because they want you too, but it means you give up something else, that you would rather do

Or working for someone, instead of spending the day with friends or loved ones.

I feel that those are almost simple things, though in comparison to my actual thoughts. For example. Having a series of meaningless jobs, because the person dependent on you, wants security, and you end up sacrificing the one thing you love, but you also want to make them happy.
I don't mean doing things you don't want to, like miniscule tasks, like doing the chores, or babysitting or something, but almost bigger things, in the real aspect of the universe and the cosmos

I guess I mean when is it too much to sacrifice your own well being, for someone else, even though you want to make everyone feel good.

i hope that helps

Is impossible.

Is pointless.

It's very simple: take care of yourself as a first port of call, if you can help others then do so but don't make huge sacrifices because no one will appreciate how much it means to you. And FYI: you can't generally do the huge things you're talking about. Take care of the little things, the big things will sort themselves.

Quote by TDKshorty
I don't think so, I believe the more you help out others and just give and not expect anything in return and be selfless, the better you feel. It puts good energy into the world

If you start to do that the real Number 1 (God, the universe, Spirits, who/whatever you believe in ) will start to look out for you. It's just the way the universe works, in my life at least.

It also releases all of those bad energies too.

But I think that it only goes so far, as to helping yourself, in return.

This may just be my experience of the world and you can disagree all you like but there is no justice in the world. No karma. Nothing like that. If there is a God out there he's sure as hell not the omni-benevolent, all-loving being that Christianity makes him out to be.

Trust me on this: I've spent more than enough time making sacrifices for other people, helping people and all that kind of stuff and I have nothing to show for it but a bunch of broken dreams and a case of depression that I need therapy for.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 16, 2009,
We are all here to copy. If we werent, we wouldnt be here in the first place.

More preciesly, your genes are here for to copy themselves. Thats what genes do. They dont care about you - they just copy.

Now, the fun begins when you become father - then you will actually feel that helping your child it is all worth it - it feels right, its also rewarded in little smiles or hugs which makes you all warm inside.

Just mind that this is not necessarily good for you - and you will feel set aside yourself - and it has no larger purpose - its just your genes that are here to copy.

If the feeling is recorrent, you probably want babies...
Quote by RedHtCurryPaste

Now, the fun begins when you become father

or mother: there are ladies here too.

everybody is different. some people find delight in hurting others (not me, personally) and have no one to answer to but themselves. it doesn't feel like this thread is going anywhere.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
or mother: there are ladies here too.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sketchy z
you're on the earth for two reasons

1. procreate
2. make yourself happy

sex does both of those

...so your saying the meaning of life is sex...

...i am a virgin...

...i fail
dude helping people is all well and good but 90% of the time you cant help them because they refuse to help themselves, so instead of trying to just help everyone make yourself happy while still just being a good person.

This world is complete shit, and we have made it this way, we are beyond help, so just focus on the basic things, breathing, eating, and doing what you have to to survive, and you will be fine.
This thread saddens me...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Jman09
dude helping people is all well and good but 90% of the time you cant help them because they refuse to help themselves, so instead of trying to just help everyone make yourself happy while still just being a good person.

This world is complete shit, and we have made it this way, we are beyond help, so just focus on the basic things, breathing, eating, and doing what you have to to survive, and you will be fine.

Nice to see there are a few optimists out there. =P
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Glimsom

There is a difference between optimism and naïvety
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Glimsom

I used to be an optimist. Until life beat it out of my by repeated and unjustifiably shit things happening.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

It's very simple: take care of yourself as a first port of call, if you can help others then do so but don't make huge sacrifices because no one will appreciate how much it means to you. And FYI: you can't generally do the huge things you're talking about. Take care of the little things, the big things will sort themselves.

This may just be my experience of the world and you can disagree all you like but there is no justice in the world. No karma. Nothing like that. If there is a God out there he's sure as hell not the omni-benevolent, all-loving being that Christianity makes him out to be.

Trust me on this: I've spent more than enough time making sacrifices for other people, helping people and all that kind of stuff and I have nothing to show for it but a bunch of broken dreams and a case of depression that I need therapy for.

I do disagree with you, but that doesn't mean I don't understand you.
There's also this thing called the Ire of God, which is the wrath of God. I'm not a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, a Buddhist or part of any conventional religion. I believe enlightenment come's from the inside.
I tossed my life away at one point, I understand where you're coming from- I did nothing but hurt people and myself. I can't find any description to describe my life at that point in time, but I somehow made through it, despite my heart completely breaking and just losing all will to live, but I believe there is a plan for all of us, despite whatever anyone else believes- I hope you can take a look inside yourself and find the internal star that shines in each one of us.

But I feel like- I'm sacrificing the one thing I love- which is the one thing that will help bring this world together and save lives, or I'm at least putting it off, to make certain people happy. But it's not worth it.