Well here is the problem,

I saved up to get the Ibanez EP9 Steve Vai acoustic signature which was £700 at GAK. Last week I saw it on there and now this week I rang them and they had sold out. I can now get it for only £850 and I don't have that amount. GAK said that Ibanez have been withdrawing them and that they will stop producing them. So the EP9 is out of my grasp. So now I have £700 MAX to spend on a new guitar. Lets remember that the tone is the most important thing obviously but I really want an attractive guitar and so it is best if it is: -matte finish -florentine cutaway (sharp cutaway, very important!) and nice inlays for an extra :L

Can anyone help me? I play all kinds of music, mainly acoustic rock kinda thing.
I was about six there. You don't want to see me go to ten. Get your shit. We're going to my room.
Last edited by livnew at Nov 16, 2009,
http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/guitar/Ibanez-EP9-Acoustic-Guitar-Ste-8117.aspx

never shopped there before, dunno how good they are

Also there's one on ebay that will ship to the UK (on the US ebay)
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Nov 16, 2009,
Cheers dude I will check eBay but that link is an ex-display model... would really like new. I know, I'm wierd like that!
I was about six there. You don't want to see me go to ten. Get your shit. We're going to my room.
That's fair enough, thought I'd post it for ya anyway though lol
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by obeythepenguin
Why is the sharp cutaway so important? Venetian cutaways are much more common on acoustics, and provide plenty good fret access.

Even though you say "tone is the most important thing," it's pretty obvious you're shopping for looks, not sound. I've seen these threads before; they usually don't end well. My advice is to ignore looks completely -- let your playing get people's attention, not your instrument.

By the way, Ibanez acoustics really aren't that great, and in that price range are frankly a waste of money. What kind of tone are you looking for?

I agree to you somewhat and I thank you very much for posting and helping with my quest. First of all, "ignore the looks completely" is a bit much don't you think? OK, so I am wanting to get a nice looking guitar but I don't want something that looks ugly. I mean you gotta understand that. I do believe the sharp cutaway is important to me because it makes it easier for me to play and I dislike the venetian cutaways look. Ignore everything else I said about looks then but keep the fact that I would like a florentine cutaway.

About the sound. Well, I don't really like the mellow sound so something tight is key and so it sounds sharp. Having said that, something inbetween the mellow, deep sound and the sharp, "tinny" sound would be ideal. I've played guitars in which you can't even hear the difference in the note and so it sounds like it has all been mushed together if you know what I mean.

But your saying I can't get a good sounding guitar with a florentine cutaway :/ if I find the guitar, THEN play it, I can then judge the tone, but browsing on the internet means that you can't hear it to it's full extent.
Florentine's aren't too common in the cheaper ranges, although I do believe Alvarez offers a few such as the AF90SCK.

I know looks are much more important to electric guitarists because the way the instrument works allows people to be more creative with shapes and colours without compromising sound. In the acoustic guitar world, not so much. Because the acoustic guitar (arguably) relies much more heavily on build quality and how the guitar is physically put together(its shape, the kind of materials you use, the gloss coating, and so on). The instrument is its own sound production unit, and every singe bit matters. The less aesthetic baggage(things like inlays, etc) to weigh down the guitar, the better.

This is generally speaking, of course. With really expensive custom guitars, the build quality is so good that it doesn't matter. A custom guitar get hundreds of hours of work compared to a normal guitar which take significantly less man-hours to create. With cheaper guitars, there often isn't nearly as much attention to detail.

My suggested priority list is...
1. Sound - There should be no compromise here
2. Playability, feel, comfort, etc. - You can allow for small tolerances of compromise here. It doesn't have to be the most comfortable guitar, but as long as it's comfortable enough for you to play, it's good to go. Of course, the more comfortable the better though.
3. Looks - Looks are important, but you won't be looking at your guitar while you play it.

That's my $0.02 on looks vs. sound.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thank you to both of you for inputting your ideas, it has really helped me. However, something keeps pulling me towards the florentine cutaways. When talking about the venetian cutaway as "visually it's also quite classy" I personally disagree as it is personal preference as so I am drawn to the florentine. The seagull however looks great and I will try that one out (if I can find one). That Alvarez looks very tempting as well however it seems to be discontinued?! I can't find it online to buy anywhere.

Also, I presume the mid range £300 Ibanez electro acoustics like the EW series aren't very good?

Also, what about Breedlove?

Thanks again guys.
actually "ignore the looks completely" is the best advice i could give. ibanez guitars are eye-candy, but they aren't all that well made and their sound is generally between meh and poor. any good guitar won't have muddy sound, and keep in mind that the guitars you play at stores tend to have old used-up strings. if there's a guitar i'm interested in, i sometimes ask the sales dude to change the strings, and often they will.

last year's breedloves in your price range were not all that inspiring sound-wise, although they have better tone than ibanez. the newest breedloves are sounding much, much better. i played one of their retro models that sounded really good, and i don't say that often, but it didn't have a cutaway.

a few worth checking that have a cutaway and are in or very close to your price range: martin 1-series OMC-1E (all solid wood), martin 1-series DC-1E (all solid also), the blueridge BR-160CE(also all solid), the taylor 110ce (not all solid but i think it has that taylor sparkle).
Thanks again, Patticake, those Martins look really nice. I will have to check them out. Obeythepenguin, the seagull will be a problem for me then, :L I much prefer a thinner neck... :/

About the Breedlove, I got two questions - what would you call the cutaway on this?

It's like the vetenian but more flat :/ it looks amazing. And the Atlas series is in a good price range - and that guitar is a solid top.

Secondly, what breedlove guitar is this, I can't find it anywhere:

You can get Seagulls with more normal sized necks of 1.75". As for the Breedlove, that's probably a custom guitar. I assume so because the side wood looks too good to be production.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I also like the Florentine cutaway and before I knew anything about Acoustics, I quite liked the Dean ones.

Look at Takamine or Tanglewood.

This Tanglewood retails around £1k but you may find it for less if you look...quite scrumy, but not quite a Florentine cutaway.

SkeetEdit: This one should be perfect. All solid, wicked cutaway, reduced from £800 to £675...sorted.

Here' a pic:

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by Skeet UK
I also like the Florentine cutaway and before I knew anything about Acoustics, I quite liked the Dean ones.

Look at Takamine or Tanglewood.

This Tanglewood retails around £1k but you may find it for less if you look...quite scrumy, but not quite a Florentine cutaway.

SkeetEdit: This one should be perfect. All solid, wicked cutaway, reduced from £800 to £675...sorted.

Here' a pic:

WOWWW. Lol that is awesome, cheers mate, just out of interest, how did you find that tanglewood? Or did you know of it previously?

And yeah, I assumed it would be a custom damn nice though. I'm going to go to a few shops in the coming weeks so I will need as many makes to try out as possible

Seagull
Breedlove
Tanglewood
Try and find that Alvarez but I think its discontinued :/
Martin
Quote by livnew
WOWWW. Lol that is awesome, cheers mate, just out of interest, how did you find that tanglewood? Or did you know of it previously?

I looked on their website...of all things. Not easy to find though.

Here

Two at the bottom. One is mahogany back and sides (FLM), the other is rosewood (FLR.

BONE nut and saddle too...I think you should try one and buy one. Tanglewood won Best Acoustic under £500, so their more expensive ones are likely to kick ass. I have played some of the high priced ones, and even with my non existent ability, I can tell they are yummy.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by obeythepenguin
Just shopping around is the best thing you can do. You might even find your perfect guitar when you're least expecting it. Just a couple months ago we were coming back from vacation, and stopped into this music store. I immediately fell in love with this big yellow thing in the back they had on consignment, and bought it there and then on impulse. It turned out to be basically the best acoustic bass on the market, no longer in production, and (literally) the instrument that got me into a band.

Moral of the story: Well, I don't know, I just like to talk a lot.

Very true my friend, I nearly bought a Dave Navarro PRS sig which was £2000 because they're now out of production but I didn't really have that amount of cash at the time so I chickened out. :L