Hey guys I'm a hard rock/metal player and i'm about to step into the gigging world, but my amp (Fender Blues Reissue valve state) has problems at higher volume levels working with gain (I use a Boss GT-10 for distortion). I know the amp isnt made for that but it was given to me. That being said i think its time for a new amp, my range being $600-$700. I'd like to avoid line 6...also heard great things about Peavy so throw me some recommendations
Last edited by Schecterwolf at Nov 16, 2009,
second hand peavey 5150 II/ 6505 + or a brand new bugera 6262 which IMO is dare i say better version of the peavey as its clean channel is actully clean lol...
You would think that by the time you start doing gigs you would have enough experience and knowledge to know which setup you prefer. Or at least which company produces an amp in the falvor you prefer. Either way. The Peavey Valveking 100 is in your price range, and Randall puts out a number of amp heads at a reasonable price.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170

If you dont own a cabinet the brand "B-52" puts out a decent solid state half stack for about $500 that could get the job done.
I saw a peavey amp would be your best bet. LIne 6 is ok, but within a year they start to get bad. I have a peavey vypyr and it has tons of effects plus great volume fro around 5oo$ with included warranty and i also bought the optional footpedal for 200$ and it has been the best amp i have owned. Don't settle for a marshall amp no matter what though
...silly

Marshalls are great, just don't ever buy a new one. I remember opening being the opening band for a gig in Tucson, I believe I was 17. All the guitar players for the touring acts after us were playing Marshalls, except the one B-52 guy.

Check e-bay/craigslist, I paid 6 bills for a DSL 100 and it's served me very well. Tone is in your fingers, if you wanna sound original work on your technique, the amp is just a tool.
I am a vagabond, a playboy of the western world!
Quote by Orethor
second hand peavey 5150 II/ 6505 + or a brand new bugera 6262 which IMO is dare i say better version of the peavey as its clean channel is actully clean lol...

+1 my 6262 2x12 combo was $500 out the door brand new. it's a beast.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's