Hello fellow UGers,

as my birthday is coming closer, I was out looking for a new guitar.
I was trying out an Ibanez RG 1570 (~700&euro and it felt very good when playing. Just when asking an employee if it was available in different colors, he pointed at a used 1990 Ibanez S 450 and told me to try it out. The neck felt similar and the tone didn't strike me as hugely different (same amp, quite low volume - I mostly want a guitar with a good feel and comfortable neck as tone can be changed by amps and effects).
He told me it has a better Licensed Floyd Rose and that it was sold at ~800€ back in the 90s and today a mint one goes for about 1400€, this one goes for only 299€ because it has a lot of scratches and a few dings.

Is the S450 as good as he says?
Is the S450's hardware and wood better than the RG1570's
(as I think the feel and tone are quite similar)?

If I pick the S450, my parents would pay most of it and instead of using 500-600€ of my money to pay the guitar only, I could also buy a stand, a case and maybe add a decent amp, but I would most likely at some point refinish it and remove the dings.

So what would a refinish and removing the dings and scratches (by a professional) cost me?

I appreciate your help, thanks.
Hmm, I myself have an RG1570, and I personally think it's a great guitar. The Edge Pro is one of the best Ibanez bridges out of the double locking trems, so I'm not sure what bridge the S450 would have to top it.
I think to refinish a guitar it'd probably cost you about £100? Not too sure tbhh.. It'll be around that price though.
Nothing is better on the S. They're just different. The S is mahogany and the RG is basswood. They also have different trems. The RG also comes with a case (a high quality one). It's really not worth refinishing since that's really expensive.
The RG is better by far. Tho the s model may have the lo pro edge trem which is also a great trem, but I still prefer an rg over an s any day.
Last edited by sstony at Nov 16, 2009,
it's most likely an s540 and it comes with either the lo-pro edge och the original edge. Both of which are supreme trems.

Quality-wise it's probably around the same level as the rg. I had one and it was great, never played an rg though.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC-1000
Ibanez 540S MIJ 1990
PodXT
Micro Cube
So, I have made a decision and bought the ... 450S.
It leaves me with money to spend on a decent amp, has the (for me at least) the same feel and a good sound and it is was made in the same factory that today's Prestige guitars are made in. In the two or three hours I have played it already I used the whammy to test its tuning stability and it didn't go out of tune at all; the neck feels (but isn't) twice as thin as the one of my Pacifica or Cort, it overall plays like a charm and has a warm but crisp tone which I really like.
Probably gonna do a NGD tomorrow when I have time to take pictures.

Thanks for your help
Quote by someone_random
So, I have made a decision and bought the ... 450S.
It leaves me with money to spend on a decent amp, has the (for me at least) the same feel and a good sound and it is was made in the same factory that today's Prestige guitars are made in. In the two or three hours I have played it already I used the whammy to test its tuning stability and it didn't go out of tune at all; the neck feels (but isn't) twice as thin as the one of my Pacifica or Cort, it overall plays like a charm and has a warm but crisp tone which I really like.
Probably gonna do a NGD tomorrow when I have time to take pictures.

Thanks for your help

DO YOU SILL HAVE THE S450 ?
Quote by youngalistai
DO YOU SILL HAVE THE S450 ?

"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.