Page 1 of 7
Basically, a lot of people are apparently pissed off by the fact that Obama bowed to the son of Emperor Hirohito, who led Japan during World War II.
link:
http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/16/the-point-obamas-bow-enrages-critics/?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl1|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sphere.com%2F2009%2F11%2F16%2Fthe-point-obamas-bow-enrages-critics%2F

To me this seems like a silly thing to be angered by, I think he is just trying to be polite and forget about the past.

Two quotes from the article:
"He means to teach Americans to bow before monarchs and tyrants," railed Power Line's Scott Johnson, who charged that Obama is sending a message that the U.S. "now willingly prostrates itself before the rest of the world."

RedState's Mark Impomeni -- whose blog post included iconic photos of the Iwo Jima flag-raising and Japan's surrender along with the picture of Obama's bow -- called the president "an embarrassment" who's "bent on dishonoring" the service and sacrifice of Americans who fought against Japan.

What do you think of this? Is this really something to be angered by, or are people just exaggerating this whole thing?
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
hey lul, thar a duck on ur bunny
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Nov 16, 2009,
Apparently a lot of people like to nit pick almost everything obama does

It pisses me off. "LOOK obama did *insert everyday task here* and i am offended"

Respecting the customs of other cultures: Even Bush did it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 16, 2009,
In other news, Obama used his left hand to wipe his ass, angering right handed americans across the nation.
Bowing is an internationally accepted show of respect. Hell, I bow to my teachers after getting back a bad test grade. If this is supposedly saying that we "prostrate ourselves" as someone put it, I don't get the logic.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
I would have loved to see the reaction if Bush did this instead.
lyk, omg, lyk ttly, he shuld b lyk, impeechd, lololol, cuz he iz lyk, bEin disrespecktful, iz a dsgrase cuz u no, obama is teh suxxorz!!!11!!1!!111!111one!11!

But seriously, everyone gets so worked up over everything he does. It's like Kevin Rudd for us Aussies almost.
He's showing respect. People need to stop bitching about everything. His father led the Japanese in WW 2, not him so whats the big deal?
Whoever complains about something as simple as bowing - which is a sign of respect and very much a part of Japanese culture - has something shoved really far up their butt. Newsflash, critics, the war has been over for over 50 years.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Probably best to just ignore them. Whenever a politicain does something their opponents are going to look for any way to try and incriminate them for it. It's an ancient tactic, though American's do seem to be loving using it at the moment.
Fuck's sake. He's only being polite. Also last time I checked the war ended 64 years ago - get over it.
Quote by Cyanide176
Apparently a lot of people like to nit pick almost everything obama does

It pisses me off. "LOOK obama did *insert everyday task here* and i am offended"

This is what infuriates me about America today. They have a great President who is trying his damn hardest to correct a country that for the last eight years has been almost torn apart by an inadequate leader... And they don't fucking appreciate how much Obama is doing and is capable of acheiving.
Many countries would love to have a leader who is like Obama.

A minority of Americans need to get their heads out of the ground and get with the fucking times.

Minority America, he's black. Get over yourselfs. Stop sulking and moaning like a kid whos come second place in a school race. Yes, Mr Republicans, I'm tlaking about you LOT.
Last edited by Moggan13 at Nov 16, 2009,
This angers me!
I fucking hate people like this.

God..
Now I gotta go pee I'm so mad..
Add Me!

If man is five...
If the devil is six...
If GOD IS SEVEN...
Quote by Rockingbird
Bowing is an internationally accepted show of respect. Hell, I bow to my teachers after getting back a bad test grade. If this is supposedly saying that we "prostrate ourselves" as someone put it, I don't get the logic.

Why, you live in New Jersy, why would you even bow, mabey a handshake or a thank you, but bowing to your teacher in an american school when your an american seems a bit odd. I can understand bowing to someone who's traditions typically have them bow to each other, but come on man, in New Jersy?

Theres nothing wrong with bowing to people of that tradition, it shows respect. But what pisses me off about Obama is that he apoligized for all of "Americas mistakes" to dictators and the such. Next thing you know he's going to apologize to Hitler's family for defeting the Nazi regime.
Obama has probably bowed to Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

You know, the same United Kingdom who tried to deny independance from your Americans.

****ing cuntish Obama.
Maybe he should have offered his axe instead

But seriously, I would be more annoyed if he didn't respect the traditions and/or customs of other cultures. Some people are too rooted in the past I guess
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
But seriously, I would be more annoyed if he didn't respect the traditions and/or customs of other cultures. Some people are too rooted in the past I guess

+1
Quote by Moggan13
This is what infuriates me about America today. They have a great President who is trying his damn hardest to correct a country that for the last eight years has been almost torn apart by an inadequate leader... And they don't fucking appreciate how much Obama is doing and is capable of acheiving.
Many countries would love to have a leader who is like Obama.

A minority of Americans need to get their heads out of the ground and get with the fucking times.

Minority America, he's black. Get over yourselfs. Stop sulking and moaning like a kid whos come second place in a school race. Yes, Mr Republicans, I'm tlaking about you LOT.

This. What the hell? These are the kind of people who think all Muslims are responsible for 9/11
Maybe the bow meant "sorry we nuked you"

Also when I first saw the thread title I imagined gordon brown saying "and my axe!"
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Quote by Ur all $h1t

+1

I'm not really in favour of anyone bowing to anyone else for any reason but going in and antagonising the Japanese by disrespecting (in their view) their Emperor probably isn't a great idea. Up until the end of WWII they still considered the Emperor to be divine. Bowing to him isn't really a huge thing. We're still supposed to bow to the Queen and so on.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by KeepOnRotting
In other news, Obama used his left hand to wipe his ass, angering right handed americans across the nation.

Americans don't use tissues to wipe their ass?

This is just stupid, if Obama didn't bow he'd get flamed on by some other nutjobs for not showing respect
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Why, you live in New Jersy, why would you even bow, mabey a handshake or a thank you, but bowing to your teacher in an american school when your an american seems a bit odd. I can understand bowing to someone who's traditions typically have them bow to each other, but come on man, in New Jersy?

I like to be out of the ordinary
And it's not a full-on Icanseemypenis bow. Just a quick little dink of a bow.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Last edited by Rockingbird at Nov 16, 2009,
I don't think people are angered and bothered by the bow in general, but how Obama bowed so low and made himself look like a servant bowing to a master. It does make America look weak in the eyes of the Japanese, seeing how Japan's entire culture and history is built around honor.

I'm not too worried about it though, but I'd not like our country to look like a bunch of pussies. I believe we need to be intimidating, and everyone on the planet is laughing at us anyway.
Obama is a complete asshole. there isnt a single thing he wont do to get re-elected. he is humping leg of the rest of the world to prove that he is a more "compassionate" president. No thanks, id rather have a president with something remotly resembling balls than this ultra liberal ass kisser. He hasnt brought one ounce of change. politics is still completly partisan and were still fighting a war that doesnt need to be fought. Obama can take that nobel prize and shove it straight up his own ass. Does anyone buy his bullshit anymore? its incredible...he addresses the nation as if were all a bunch of idiots who are completly uninformed about the world.
Quote by Meths
We're still supposed to bow to the Queen and so on.

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by CoreysMonster
yup, how dare he acknowledge the customs of other countries and show respect.

Exactly! He should be like Bush and accept nothing but Americanized hotdogs and handshakes from foreign leaders! THEY should be bending to OUR ways!

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Oh. Wait.

Now Obama may not have done anything particularly groundbreaking in office thus far, but for fuck's sake, it's like all these people that got by by way of making news out of every little thing Bush did are all out of things to make fun of Obama for.
Quote by HIM%(^
Obama is a complete asshole. there isnt a single thing he wont do to get re-elected. he is humping leg of the rest of the world to prove that he is a more "compassionate" president. No thanks, id rather have a president with something remotly resembling balls than this ultra liberal ass kisser. He hasnt brought one ounce of change. politics is still completly partisan and were still fighting a war that doesnt need to be fought. Obama can take that nobel prize and shove it straight up his own ass. Does anyone buy his bullshit anymore? its incredible...he addresses the nation as if were all a bunch of idiots who are completly uninformed about the world.
I believe we need to be intimidating, and everyone on the planet is laughing at us anyway.

...I wonder why.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Moggan13
I think he ment only the English have to bow

I was laughing at the idea of Meths having to bow to the queen.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I was laughing at the idea of Meths having to bow to the queen.

He'd probably end up headbutting her instead
Quote by Ur all $h1t
...I wonder why.

wait..what country are you from again? oh wait..thats right. I forgot, you irish know all about prosperous countries...i mean..there wasnt just a huge influx of immigrants from there in new york or anything.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
...I wonder why.

My point exactly! I supported Obama in the beginning but I'm losing alot of respect for him, and this pushed the big red button.
Quote by HIM%(^
wait..what country are you from again? oh wait..thats right. I forgot, you irish know all about prosperous countries...i mean..there wasnt just a huge influx of immigrants from there in new york or anything.

Do you own a shotgun? If so, please use it on yourself. Thanks.

Quote by foob85
My point exactly! I supported Obama in the beginning but I'm losing alot of respect for him, and this pushed the big red button.

Your losing respect because he's being polite to another culture? Would you respect him more if he just flipped the bird at the Emperor and said "Haha! We NUKED YOU Biatches!!"??

Last edited by Moggan13 at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by HIM%(^

Quote by HIM%(^

Dickhead of the thread award goes to HIM%(^.