I was looking to get a tube amp, suitable for future gigging.

i was looking into the Carvin V3212, Bugera 6262 2x12 and the Peavey 6505 212/6505+ 112.

My main question is that i see that the Peavey 6505+ 112 has an Ohm switch (4, 8, 16). What does this do exactly?

Secondly, which of these amps would you guys recommend for Darkest Hour, Unearth, Children of Bodom, All Shall Perish, Misery Signals, Conducting From the Grave type metal?

EDIT: Also, i would need to have good tone at dorm room levels (i can usually get around 3 [out of 10 on the volume knob] without anyone complaining on my 75W SS.)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
It would allow for different external speaker configurations.

oh ok, thanks. so i could use it as a head essentially if i wanted to hook a cab up to it?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
oh ok, thanks. so i could use it as a head essentially if i wanted to hook a cab up to it?

Correct, and since cabs generally come in 4, 8, or 16 loads, you can (must!) match it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haven't had a chance to play any of those amps? Tube amps are really loud, I wouldn't rely on one for a bedroom amp.

That said, I'd go with the Peavey. I know it can get that heavy, whereas I'm doubting the br00talz a Carvin V3 can get (my co-guitarist owns one) and Bugeras have a bad rep for reliability.

my friend who plays shows uses a V3 and he can get a pretty good tone out of it, even at low volumes. which is why i'm asking about the others.

Dorm room level was probably the wrong term to use seeing how i crank it relatively loudly anyways. I would like a good tone without having to put it at earsplitting volumes.

Also, i'm pretty sure (though not 100%) that the Bugera issuse have been resolved. I would probably take any new amp i got into a shop before playing it anyway to get connections reinforced/cheap parts swapped out

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eh, you can play metal stuff on the V3, it has enough gain, I just don't like the voicing, for metal.

yeah, i hear it gets compressed sounding. it wouldn't be -core music. No breakdowns or heavy chug really. Drop C is the lowest we get and i would be the lead guitar.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400