I bought myself a used engl screamer combo last thursday, and I love it although one of the power amp tubes doesn't glow at all, and the tubes havent been changed in a few years anyway. I've decided I'm going to buy a matched set of JJ 6L6GC's and put them in. But my question is, do I need to get someone to "bias" my amp or can i just install them and play away? Any other decent tube advice is also welcome. I'll make a NAD thread and put some clips up when I find the effort and some batteries for my camera
Thanks in Advance
I would ask in the Engl owners thread or contact Engl. If it is manual bias then get from them a recommended milliAmp setting and variance thresholds as well as the recommended plate voltage.

What tubes are in there now and do you want to change your tone at all? In some amps it is also recommended to get a new Phase Inverter 12AX7 preamp tube as well when changing power tubes. I'm not an amp tech.
Quote by DavidMW
I bought myself a used engl screamer combo last thursday, and I love it although one of the power amp tubes doesn't glow at all, and the tubes havent been changed in a few years anyway. I've decided I'm going to buy a matched set of JJ 6L6GC's and put them in. But my question is, do I need to get someone to "bias" my amp or can i just install them and play away? Any other decent tube advice is also welcome. I'll make a NAD thread and put some clips up when I find the effort and some batteries for my camera
Thanks in Advance

JJ's will suit the ENGL nicely. ENGLs are bright, JJs are a tad dark so it balances out. You need to have it biased. Some amps have a set bias and those are plug and play, but the ENGLs aren't like that. Change the tubes = bias, regardless of the tubes that were in it or the tubes you are putting in.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 16, 2009,