Page 1 of 2
..when you play fast paced metal.

I think my friend thinks I'm a show off. Which is the last thing I want to do.
He plays mostly rock and when compared to the intensity of some of the metal I play, it does really look like I'm showing off.

Also I think progress in guitar depends on what music you start of playing.
Cause I doubt you'll learn gallops and tapping on blues or jazz

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Jesus, just play the music you want to play.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Im also curious to see what people come up with here. but so for input:

i have the same problem. i try and take it slow with them, or help them learn something that im doing as opposed to just taking lead all the time.

Quote by Karvid

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Last edited by TK1 at Nov 16, 2009,
So basically, you do what you love, someone else doesn't like it, so you want to change?

Dude.

It's your life, not his. Play music because you want to, not because other people want you to.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I started out playing blues and my friend who plays Metal always does really fast sweep picking and shit around me. ESPECIALLY when I'm playing, or showing him something. I never really thought of the possibility that he might not be trying to show off. But it does kinda hurt it's kinda like they're saying "In your face"
Quote by icaneatcatfood
I bet you'd be cooler if you played jazz.

Let's not go into a metal vs jazz argument..jazz would win easily
Its not that difficult really, although to be honest you do sound a little over confident and if that reflects in your playing that could be it but what do I know
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
If you play what people know you like, then your not showing off, but when people go to guitar center just to show off the riffs that everyone knows. i see people who think their good and really aren't when you see people like that, then you do need to show off.
Don't Tread On Me!
Play what you want to play by all means but there's nothing stopping you slowing it down a bit.
It's showing off unless you're performing.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Dude if you play metal no one thinks highly of you.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well for one thing I get REALLY into it.
Like.. for serious.

I think I'll just give him more room to play what he likes cause I'm the one playing most of the time. ( I CANT HELP IT! ITS TOO FUN! >_< )

Meh.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Quote by Kensai

Permission to sig?!
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by Phazon
Permission to sig?!

Go ahead
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Not really. Were just starting to play together again.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by Karvid

you sir, have made my day
PM me about logos and merch

Quote by RU Experienced?
Sorry man, I only know how to program in Db.

Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm so underground that I make up bands and songs in my head and don't tell anyone about them.
Quote by Phazon

Elitism FTL. Just because it's not as "technical" or speed centred, doesn't mean it's not advanced. Guitar progress isn't the same as technical prowess. Apart from that, if that's what you like playing, and you don't go around all "look at me I play teh metulz", I don't see why he says you're a show-off unless he's jealous.
Quote by diofan88

Or this, "Death Metal" band.
Or this Jazz band
Quote by Karvid

This is amazing.
Last edited by jimmyled at Nov 16, 2009,
Just be humble.

Also, play songs by request, you better learn Free Bird and THrough the fire and Flames
DeVillains!
Quote by Karvid

Everything about that was awesome. Tone, musicality, technique...

Dont' worry about showing off. Every type of music is showing off. That's the whole point of music, is to exhibit your proficiency with an instrument, whether it's by showing how fast you can play, or how great your favorite melody sounds, or what. Just let your friend think what he wants, and don't compromise for anybody. You'll never be a Van Halen or a Jason Becker if you compromise.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Oddsbodkins
It was pretty good, but I can't believe he actually desribes himself as "Shred Rock Fusion Progressive Metal Jazz"

Pretty sure it was a joke.
When you're just practicing try to avoid pulling faces, nodding your head, or headbanging. That tones things down a bit.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Oddsbodkins
It was pretty good, but I can't believe he actually describes himself as "Shred Rock Fusion Progressive Metal Jazz"

Eh...some people ya know?

I told my friedn i wanted to start a Melodic Neoclassical Shred Deth metal band with folk and black metal influences

He laughed...but it sounded like Kalmah, Yngwie , Burzum, and Korpiklaani got into a car crash and produced pure awesome in my head

I digress

yes labeling is pretty silly sometimes, especially crazy ass, outta the way wacko titles
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
The only reason someone would call anyone a "showoff" is if they are jealous, but really I haven't heard the term since elementary school and if anyone says it at this point in their life they should be flogged mercilessly. No one spends hundreds of hours alone in their bedroom practicing so when the time comes to play they can play "Hot Cross Buns". I'll stop myself before I start ranting but your buddy is jealous and immature and if he calls you a showoff remind him how you got there.
if you would take off the distortion this would be at home in metal or jazz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0

Oh and just because you play metal by no means are you better than your friend. There are plenty of jazz/blues players who could spin playing circles around your typical metal head but they are more about sticking to the melody/feel rather then 0mGGG t3h br0t@1Z Sw33p$ is C@$h!
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by Kensai

Take that!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Phazon
..when you play fast paced metal.

I think my friend thinks I'm a show off. Which is the last thing I want to do.
He plays mostly rock and when compared to the intensity of some of the metal I play, it does really look like I'm showing off.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

You ****ing idiot.

Try to tell me that metal is harder than jazz.

And you sound like a typical "metal"head prick, which leads me to believe that you're actually just playing metalcore and nu-metal.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
You ****ing idiot.

And you sound like a typical "metal"head prick, which leads me to believe that you're actually just playing metalcore and nu-metal.

Oh FFS, Jazz elitist much?

There is jazz which is technically harder to play than some metal, and metal which is harder to play than some jazz. Does this make either better than the other? No.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by TechnoLp

Oh and just because you play metal by no means are you better than your friend. There are plenty of jazz/blues players who could spin playing circles around your typical metal head but they are more about sticking to the melody/feel rather then 0mGGG t3h br0t@1Z Sw33p$ is C@$h!

This is how I feel about your post.

Seriously.

Playing Testament next to someone else who is playing AC/DC.
-_-

yeaa...
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by philipp122
You ****ing idiot.

Did I mention anything about metal being harder than jazz?
Did I say ANYTHING about one being better than the other?

I guess you didn't understand what I meant so let me explain it to you.

Lets say two guys pick up a guitar at the same time.
One starts learning metal. The other blues.

After a year we stop and see their progress.
Which do you think would have more flashy playing?

I never mentioned anything about one being harder than the other so how about you learn to read and back the F*** OFF!!
Quote by LivinJoke84
Page 1 of 2