Has anyone out there ever suffered from an RSI injury called 'Trigger Finger'? It's caused by an inflammation of the sheath that covers the tendons in the fingers. Essentially, it 'locks' a finger or fingers into a curled up position that has to be snapped back into place. I have caused it by too much practising (4-5 hrs a day) after not playing for the past 20 years. It's taken me out of commission for weeks on end and it's making my life a misery. I may have to have injections directly into the nodes of my fingers or worst case scenario - surgery.

Has anyone had this - how did you cope, did anything help?

"Nobody loves me but my mama...and she could be jiving too" - Muddy Waters
i have it from playing drums. when i lift heavy cases my fingers cease up and i need to put them under hot water to get them moving. it sometimes occurs when i shred a lot and overdo it.

i didnt bother with surgery i just make sure my guitar has thin strings and low action and i play all music gently not too much force.

ive had rsi and carpel also and tried every cure under the sun, but only thing that helped is just playing thinner strings and lower action.
Thanx Sir Shredalot - any feedback I get from this is really useful. I am on Naproxen at the moment and I've bandaged my fingers up to keep them straight and avoid locking.

It's a very scary thing to have - it's making my life a misery.

For such a commom complaint, it doesn't seem all that common.

"Nobody loves me but my mama...and she could be jiving too" Muddy Waters
Quote by ade247
Thanx Sir Shredalot - any feedback I get from this is really useful. I am on Naproxen at the moment and I've bandaged my fingers up to keep them straight and avoid locking.

It's a very scary thing to have - it's making my life a misery.

For such a commom complaint, it doesn't seem all that common.

[Semi Top Left hand side] Control Panel> Edit Signature
Quote by ade247
Essentially, it 'locks' a finger or fingers into a curled up position that has to be snapped back into place.

I really doubt this.

I had ulnar nerve palsy, a similar condition where my 3rd and 4th fingers were curled up, but this was caused by putting too much pressure on my elbows. I was playing guitar with 2 fingers (fret hand) for about 3 months.

Luckily this is quite a common injury so my therapy was simply to play guitar to strengthen my ulnar nerve