Alright so I'm going to get my guitar this Saturday it's on layaway right now, and the strings on that guitar are really old. And I mean REALLY old. So I'm going to get a pack of replacement strings. Problem is, I don't know which ones are right for me.

I will be playing rock, hard rock, metal, things like that, maybe half rhythm and half lead. I want something sturdy but at the same time I'm going to be doing a lot of bending and a lot of tremolo picking. I don't like strings that are too thin or too thick, so .10 gauge is probably my best bet.

Can you guys tell me some good strings I could get, send a link or something? Preferably from guitarcenter.com? Thanks. If I haven't covered everything that you need to know then please tell me.
Quote by WtrPlyr
It's all about preference. Try Ernie Ball, D'addario, DR, Elixir, GHS. Just buy a pack of strings and if you don't like it you can always buy others. They're not that expensive.

I'm thinking of buying either Ernie Ball strings or D'addario strings, from your experience which strings do you think are better made/more worthwhile?
I used Ernie Ball strings for a long time and I found that they needed to be stretched way too much, and that they break far too easily. I've also used d'addario and DR strings. They are both great brands. Personally, I normally go with the d'addarios.
Quote by goldberg1138
I used Ernie Ball strings for a long time and I found that they needed to be stretched way too much, and that they break far too easily. I've also used d'addario and DR strings. They are both great brands. Personally, I normally go with the d'addarios.

What do you feel is the difference generally between DR and d'addario strings? Also, do you think about Dean Markley strings?
I'v recently tried out some Rotosound strings, they are absolutely great. Far better than both Ernies and d'addarios imo.
EDIT: Dean Markleys are not as good as ernies or d'addarios, except for the blue steel series which are decent but pure steel so they wear out your frets faster, plus they don't feel as soft as nickelplated strings do.
Last edited by Equivalence at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by dsan224
I'm thinking of buying either Ernie Ball strings or D'addario strings, from your experience which strings do you think are better made/more worthwhile?

I like Ernie Balls more.
Quote by dsan224

i used to play with d'addario xl 10's and i found they rusted within 2 weeks whilst only playin 30 mins a day, whilst with ernie ball they're good for a month playing 30 mins a day
It is all about preference as WtrPlyr said. I personally hate ernie balls and d'addarios but love Dean Markleys.
i used ernie ball for awhile until i tried my first set if dunlop 9-46 love dunlop
lol don't stress over it too much, just pick up any brand of 10-46, ernie balls last long in my opinion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
How about this, instead of saying which one you think is better, just explain some differences between them. Not that one is better than the other, but tell me the overall difference between the strings, how they feel, stuff like that.

EDIT: Hey how about something like this: Light top and heavy bottom:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/D-Addario-EXL140-Nickel-Light-Top-Heavy-Bottom-Electric-Guitar-Strings-100016826-i1122076.gc

Would that satisfy my needs of big heavy rhythm and easy to bend fast lead?
Last edited by dsan224 at Nov 16, 2009,
I have had Ernie Ball Power Slinky strings and D'addario's 49s, and they are all good, but the power slinky wins because they have an unusual toughedge to them and have alot of tone.

I was in the same story, yesterday, because my guitar came today with super old 42s.
I personally use the EB Titanium coated slinkies. Have the same attributes as the regulars, but they also last a lot longer. I've had a pair of 11's on my strat for about 4 months now, and they're just starting to wear. This is also with 1-2 hours of practice a day.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
I've been using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings for a couple of years; I recently switched to the titanium coated strings which seem to last longer.

I also don't understand how people break strings - I dig in pretty hard and pretty consistently, but I have never broken a string ever.
Earnie Balls are good... they are VERY hard to snap(But I have yet to snap a string on my guitar, with 2-3 months per string set... they just wear out until the sound they produce is satanic... I'm goin' on 3 months with my elixers.) I really think Elixers work well if you want durability... mine are still like new.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 9-42. They're pretty good. They do take awhile to stretch though I messed up once while restringing and my high E snapped. So, don't tighten them to much
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.