Page 1 of 2
Hey everybody, my band Black Chariot plays a variety of music types (ballads, hard rock, metal, grunge) and we need a consistent image. Any ideas for dress?
You really cant go wrog with a band tee and either jeans or cargo shorts
I lol'd you've been warned
How about you hide behind your amps and drums so people can listen to your music instead of bicker about what your wearing.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Even though you guys have a variety of influences, unless you are a cover band, your songs will generally sound the same to the average person.

Same people playing = same sound
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Jeans, shirt, underwear.

Those are really the must haves if you're going to go on stage.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by AlanHB
Even though you guys have a variety of influences, unless you are a cover band, your songs will generally sound the same to the average person.

Same people playing = same sound

We were actually approached by people afterwards who all loved that our songs all sounded different (and we played not one cover).

Does anyone who actually understands the music business have something productive to say? All these other assholes have no idea what they're talking about.
Quote by MartyredHero
We were actually approached by people afterwards who all loved that our songs all sounded different (and we played not one cover).

Does anyone who actually understands the music business have something productive to say? All these other assholes have no idea what they're talking about.

The assholes comment was unprovoked, and what has been said is true.

I cannot think of a band which sounds completely different on each song. In terms of genre-crossing I can think of Faith No More and some other guys, but I could still recognise a song that they are playing regardless of the genre the song is set in. I have no doubt that your band is any different.
Soundcloud
The assholes comment wasn't directed at you, particularly because your comments have not been anywhere near the discussion. This is about dress and image not about music and song structure.
It's really hard to say what to wear. What bands do you and your band like? What are your lyrics like? Granted you have different styles of songs but your lyrics probably have some consistency or a similar writing style between songs.

AlanHB was just trying to say that your songs are unique to you. When people hear your songs they know its you, just like when people hear an Aerosmith song or a Van Halen song they know it's the respective band.

Find some similarities in your lyrics or influences or just general mood of your music and base your dress off that.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Last edited by scream_it at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by MartyredHero
The assholes comment wasn't directed at you, particularly because your comments have not been anywhere near the discussion. This is about dress and image not about music and song structure.

You are looking for dress which reflects your genre, you'll first have to identify the genre your band is in. You are the one who wants this.

Otherwise I recommend you call your band "The Fruits" and you all dress up as different types of fruit. Lead singer can be a banana.
Soundcloud
Image is just as important as songs in reflecting who you are to an audience. If you aren't imaginative to come up with something on your own, it does not bode well.
That being said, I second Alan's fruit suggestion. You can couch a message of tolerance in there by having one band member be an apple, and another an orange. Get it?
I would say try to fit your music, but also try to be somewhat unique. If your playing pop-punk, don't come on stage with long metal hair and a megadeth T-shirt (unless, of course, your fusing genres. If that's the case, just wear whatever fits). For the unique part, maybe wear band shirts you like/are heavily influenced by that know one else has heard of.

Now for some examples, Green Day has...different music. They have a...different look. When I hear their music and look at a picture of them, I say, "Yep, they fit their sound". Zebrahead has fun, upbeat music, and they dress like it's summer all year round. Weezer dresses like nerds. MCR dresses "emo" (or goth, whatever people consider them now. I can't keep up with it, so I won't even bother). Just try to match your sound (fun, upbeat, slow, emo, metal, hardcorez, etc) with your image (long hair, clean cut, clothing style, wrist bands, dog collars, nurse outfits, blahblah).

After rereading my post, I realize this is terrible advice, but it could potentially start a useful discussion, so I'm clicking submit anyway.
Quote by Oh_God_Its_Back
My girlfriend does that to me!
Feels pretty good!

^In a thread about strap-ons.
Quote by koslack

That being said, I second Alan's fruit suggestion. You can couch a message of tolerance in there by having one band member be an apple, and another an orange. Get it?

For a future band I would like to call it "The Tooth". The lead singer would be a tooth, other members could be dentists.

Basically the punchline to each gig would be "You can't handle The Tooth!".
Soundcloud
really if ya'll are playing music that fits your personality, just dress however you think fits you best. and everybody can be somewhat different from each other as long as there's a cohesive bond.

for example, with my ban we play a sort of metal that tends to sway from progressive to extreme to whatever, but it always has the grunge kinda vibe like Alice In Chains. it always has an underlying sort of dark mood even when if the song is almost upbeat sounding.

I tend to dress as normal, jeans which may or may not have a few rips (I don't buy em like that, they're just old) with dark subdued colored band t-shirts, and I have shoulder length hair and goatee.

rhythm guitarist tends to be a little more flashy as he's more of a metalcore kinda guy. he likes stuff with skulls on em etc.

singer is a lesbian who is also into some more popular metal - she tends to dress emo

bassist tends to wear a hoodie and jeans

drummer really doesn't care, but normally wears dark band tees and shorts

see what I mean? it kinda conveys the feel of our music, and though we all have different styles it fits together. just try to make it fit the band.

edit: wow, didn't mean to ramble

... RAMBLE ON now's the time the time is now to SING MY SONG I'm goin round the world I gotta find my girl ON MY WAY I been this way ten years to the - sorry
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 17, 2009,
Dress is just a gimmick, and gimmicks are fine. Gimmicks do not have to cohesively line up with the product they're being used to sell, so you don't really need our suggestions for what to wear because it doesn't matter what genre you play or anything like that, it only matters that the band looks put together.

Why don't you and your bandmates get together and brainstorm a bunch of ideas about what you'd like to look like, then find your favorite parts from different suggestions and combine them.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Dress is just a gimmick, and gimmicks are fine. Gimmicks do not have to cohesively line up with the product they're being used to sell, so you don't really need our suggestions for what to wear because it doesn't matter what genre you play or anything like that, it only matters that the band looks put together.

Well said!

So identify the type of product that you are creating, then try to promote it through your clothes.

I think right now TS is attempting to say they're one of those pens with lots of different colour choices. What the TS would be missing is that it's still a pen.
Soundcloud
Quote by MartyredHero

wow... i really want to help you, but...

...i think i'd rather see you fail horribly. sorry.
I think that it's important to dress to your personality. For instance I enjoy music and enjoy making it so when I had a gig with my funk band I dressed like I normally do (Jeans and a Band shirt with trainers) because I honestly couldn't care less what people think of my nice new jumper.

However, if you are interested in furthering a modelling career instead of just playing some music then you should definetly start thinking about it.

/nasty sarcasm

Look, image doesn't matter as much as people are making it out to. If you're playing the music there's a chance you like it and so you probably dress in that sort of way. Don't go to your bandmates with it. If a bandmate of mine came up to me and asked if he could talk about image with me I would tell him to bugger off (e.g. what I told my last band).

Try not to insult people here too. I mean, music business? Are you in a signed band? Are you in a well regarded underground band? The music business comes last, always if you want to be a real musician.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
Jeans, shirt, underwear.

Those are really the must haves if you're going to go on stage.

I often just do the first two, and I'm quite a snappy dresser.
Quote by isabiggles
Try not to insult people here too. I mean, music business? Are you in a signed band? Are you in a well regarded underground band?

c'mon man, don't act like you've never gone to a Black Chariot show!

why, they're betta' than Steeeeel Draaagons... on elevvveeeeennnn!

****ing christ. some guys here take themselves entirely too seriously. spend more time staring at yourself naked in a mirror... you'll develop a sense of humor.
I appreciate the input from some of these responses, and apologize for being a rather large ASS earlier. However, I began this thread as a serious concern because there was an A&R scout at our last show and one of his criticism was our image and dress. Trust me, I do have a legitimate reason for saying the things I do. I think I'm going to do what some have mentioned and work on some brainstorming with my band and come up with something that is truly us, not pretentious, and is appealing.
Thanks to some of you.
Quote by MartyredHero
I began this thread as a serious concern because there was an A&R scout at our last show and one of his criticism was our image and dress.
Ya might wanna review your notes from his crit. There is a good bit of difference between forum dynamics and gigging. But if there are any parallels between the two, it's likely another criticism was the inability to interact effectively with the audience. If that's the case, focus on improvements in that area, even more than on how you dress.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
He also addressed that, we were all good, energetic, and able to get the crowd into except that the bass player was a little bit motionless. And you're absolutely right that part of stage presence is just as importance if not more.
get every member a pair of jeans, dyed to be mottled and gross, then have everyone except the hottest member wear an similarly dyed white t-shirt. the hot guy wears no shirt. if the singer is not the hottest member, add a suit jacket to his apparel.

there. fixed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Tartan

/thread
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Where what you want...
The act of being yourself IS an Image...
Grunge showed that waking up and saying "**** it" sells...

Perhaps your bass player is more into jazz so he wears a cango and a oxford, but the drummers a metal-head in a megadeth t-shirt, nobodys going to get angry at you except yourselves if you make it an issue...fans love band members that they can "be", every member from KISS had a different personality, given they all looked cohesive, it was their differences that made them sellable as individual band members...bands that all look the same are boring...
Dress casual? Maybe if your going for a Hard Rock/Metal/___core/Screamo then throw in some skinny jeans once in a while and wear a band shirt. For the casual, wear a polo striped shirt with cargo short or dark slim blue jeans.
Gear
Ibanez GIO Electric Guitar
Ibanez V50 Acoustic Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 75watt
RP55 Guitar Modulation (thinking of selling)

Fairmount Avenue
This is exactly why I hate the music industry.
Everybody's more concerned about image, getting recognised, getting famous, making money, and getting laid than they are about the music.
if you spent more time developing an interesting and original sound instead of relying on an image, maybe you'd last a little longer than the swarms of metal/post-hardcore/pop-punk/pop/ bands that have been littering the musical landscape.
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by toyboxmonster
Everybody's more concerned about image, getting recognised, getting famous, making money, and getting laid than they are about the music.
if you spent more time developing an interesting and original sound instead of relying on an image, maybe you'd last a little longer than the swarms of metal/post-hardcore/pop-punk/pop/ bands that have been littering the musical landscape.

More likely you'd end up going nowhere, just like thousands of other bands that don't put in the effort to have a total package that can be marketed.
The music business is like any other business. The marketing department has it's place in a band, just like in any other company.
Birthday Suit!!!
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by koslack
More likely you'd end up going nowhere, just like thousands of other bands that don't put in the effort to have a total package that can be marketed.
The music business is like any other business. The marketing department has it's place in a band, just like in any other company.

Indeed. The marketing of art as a consumer product did seem te exactly what I was criticising.
"Going somewhere" is a matter of perspective. To me, it seems that obtaining a small, cult following who truly understands what your music stands for is a much greater achievement than having legions of screaming fans who don't even make the effort to search for bands that truly mean something to them but rather passively accept whatever is forced down their throats by big labels.
toyboxmonster:

I'm with you, everything you say is what i've been trying to say on these forums.

I've come to the conclusion that Koslack is in fact satan who is trying to convert people into trusting and believing that the music 'industry' is as important as the music. You go on about having a succesful image yet you aren't in a popular signed band are you? Your photos from your band seem so generic.

I mean what is this?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=120492572&albumID=626872&imageID=36141518

Is this meant to be badass or something. For everytime someone gives the camera their middle finger a band splits up.

You're obsessed with marketing and I think it's disgusting (ok maybe slightly too strong a word) that you hold it in such high regard. The objective of any real, music loving band is to make great music, not to 'make it' whilst actually just following what ever clothing trend is popular at the time.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Quote by isabiggles
I've come to the conclusion that Koslack is in fact satan who is trying to convert people into trusting and believing that the music 'industry' is as important as the music.

It depends on what you mean by 'as important as'. If you mean that the industry shouldn't be as important as the music then I doubt you'd find a lot of dissent on a musician's forum, but if you mean that the industry isn't as important as the music then I think you're on shakier ground.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by toyboxmonster

+1
Quote by Sami Philadelph
+1

I think that's the first time I've been "+1'd".
TIME FOR A SEXXY DANCE!
Quote by isabiggles
toyboxmonster:

I'm with you, everything you say is what i've been trying to say on these forums.

I've come to the conclusion that Koslack is in fact satan who is trying to convert people into trusting and believing that the music 'industry' is as important as the music. You go on about having a succesful image yet you aren't in a popular signed band are you? Your photos from your band seem so generic.

I mean what is this?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=120492572&albumID=626872&imageID=36141518

Is this meant to be badass or something. For everytime someone gives the camera their middle finger a band splits up.

You're obsessed with marketing and I think it's disgusting (ok maybe slightly too strong a word) that you hold it in such high regard. The objective of any real, music loving band is to make great music, not to 'make it' whilst actually just following what ever clothing trend is popular at the time.

First of all, I'm not in that band anymore, and while we may not have been huge, I reached all my goals. We opened for some great bands, and had a lot of fun, but I was realistic about the industry. I never dreamed about being a rock star, just like I never dream about winning the lottery. I dream about things that are attainable. Second of all, my experiences in the music industry extend outside of being a musician; I've done promoting and booking on a large scale, in both the pop/rock realm as well as jazz/classical/lounge. I've done quite a bit of engineering, which is only a hobby, but I've had some pretty good success at it (I was in charge of a stage at this years Montreal International Jazz Festival, whose headliner this year was some guy named Stevie Wonder). Right now, I do a lot of freelance music journalism; last week I interviewed Matisyahu. The week before was Glassjaw, and I have an interview with Trivium pending. So while I may not have reached the pinnacle, I've done many, many different things, and I can say I did them well. As such, I think I can say I've seen what works, and what does not. I work on objective observation, not misplaced idealism. So, you can either take the advice I give, or that axemanchris gives, or that Alan gives, or you can just keep on being all about the music, man.
As for the objective; if you want to do this for a living, the objective is to eat. To pay rent. To not have to work a shitty day job for the next 50 years. If your goal is to make interesting music, fantastic. But I have news for you; The Mars Volta have a publicist. They have stylists at their photo shoots. Such is life. If you want to be in the business, treat it as a business. To do that, you make compromises. If the biggest compromise you make in your life is what t-shirt you wear to a photo shirt, congratulations; you havemore integrity than Ghandi.
Music is music. Business is business. Business is cut throat. If you can't deal with that, I suggest you find yourself another economic system to live under.
^^^^ Holy shit koslack, that was awesome. What i really dont get about these 16 year old kids who all scream its about the music but they can not name one band that doesnt market themselves, and thats because like you said, those bands who dont treat music as the business it is never make it out of the basement.

Heres a little tip for most of you, if you want it to be all about the music never try to make it your profession.

Oh and koslack ive gotta ask......... how was matisyahu?
Koslack:

That's good for you, really it is but it doesn't answer my question or my points. You still go on about the industry all the time and treat it with such importance. Sure, it's important for bands that want to be the next big boyband but it's just not that important and should be seperated from music more.

If I do succeed in a band then great, fantastic but I sure won't compromise to get there. My aim is to be a music producer or a guitar teacher and believe me for someone like me, (i'm not trying to be cocky here, it's just how it is) who is expected to go onto have the big jobs and achieve the highest results in nationwide exams (I go to a school that does this, it's pretty stressful but such if life! :p, this is all for the music. I have the potential to go on and make hundreds and thousands but I would rather have my passion as my job. If I don't make much money then so be it but i'll be doing and teaching what I love and that's good enough for me. I'm not interested in wearing fancy or trendy clothes or doing ridiculous, generic photo shoots just to 'make it'. It's a load of turd.

^

Lol, yeah nice try. I can name many, marketing yourself is not the same as 'hey, we've got a gig coming next month, try and come along!' I listen to bands that put their soul into the music and come out wearing their usual clothes. Read above for your last statement.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Page 1 of 2