Page 1 of 2
Hi

I was just wondering what people generally thought of John Mayer on his website.

E.g. everyone seems to hate Axl Rose.

I just thought that you guys might not like him becasue he's a bit of a 'ladies man' or something.

What do you think?

Ehhh...hes okay when he comes to guitar playing but his music sucks.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned for respecting my opinion and politely disagreeing.
You're probably the most respectful person in the Pit.
Quote by shmikeyboy
Who is John Mayer?

I'm being serious, haven't heard of him before

panty-dropping singer/songwriter turned bluesman.
#DTWD
There is a huge JM thread in the Blues and Jazz forum if you'd like to contribute. Personally I love John Mayer, probably my favorite current artist at the moment. Bash all you like, I won't change my musical preference.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
- James Marshall Hendrix

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but you can free your mind."
- Bob Marley
I loathe him.

I was apathetic towards him and I never cared for his music much, but I have the same last name as him so I have to hear from everyone "lololol, like OMG, are you related to John Mayer!?!?" or "*GASP* You mean like John Mayorzz!?!" and it's super obnoxious.
I love him. You can't deny he's a great artist; what I hate is that people who dislike his music say it's "terrible" *cough Horlicks cough*. Funny, I don't remember music being bad just because it doesn't cater to your specific tastes.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
He is my friend's uncle. I talked to him on the phone once. Nice guy. I dig his music. He's a great singer and guitarist. Not a huge fan of his tone, though...but that's trivial, really.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I'm a fan of his music. As a person however, I've heard he's an egotistical jerk. He's a great live performer though.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
I'm a fan, he's a great player and from what I've seen he has a good sense of humour, there's a video of him doing a parody of 2 girls 1 cup. Not a big fan of his more poppy stuff but his blues playing is great, incredible tone too.
Out of the 'John Ma' camp, John Martyn smokes John Mayer, i'm afraid to say.
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Love his music...not his old stuff, that's meh, but Battle Studies and Continuum are great...
Quote by aaronni
from what I've seen he has a good sense of humour, there's a video of him doing a parody of 2 girls 1 cup.

You say GOOD sense of humour?
Quote by Zoot Allures
As much as people try to pretend hes a blues guitarist he isnt. No bluesman would churn out the generic pop crap he's made.

A bit elitist, are we?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I like him as a guitar player but i don't like his singing at all. If John Mayer stopped singing and started blues or something he'd be great.
Quote by Guitarlord44
i like John Mayers music. He seems like a good guy also.

This.. I just checked out some songs, and I actually like what i hear ...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by SGstriker
A bit elitist, are we?

No, stating the facts isn't elitism. That pop music he's made is made to conform to the industry standard of generic soft radio music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pmWCpMNkI

^ that is as bluesy as it gets.

then you have mr mayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfxi_5jOaM
Quote by The Chimney Man
You say GOOD sense of humour?

Well people are saying he's a prick, he seems cool to me.

Quote by Zoot Allures
No, stating the facts isn't elitism. That pop music he's made is made to conform to the industry standard of generic soft radio music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pmWCpMNkI

^ that is as bluesy as it gets.

then you have mr mayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfxi_5jOaM

No-one is denying he makes poppy music, doesn't mean he can't play blues. I wasn't aware people had to stick exclusively to one genre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lw5aA7XUFw
Last edited by aaronni at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by aaronni
Well people are saying he's a prick, he seems cool to me.

No-one is denying he makes poppy music, doesn't mean he can't play blues. I wasn't aware people had to stick exclusively to one genre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lw5aA7XUFw

The pop music he's making is only there for money as all the radio music is. It's generic and sounds like every other soft pop song since it's there to conform to the standard and i think if he's that willing to compromise for money musicially then he shouldn't be called a bluesman.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The pop music he's making is only there for money as all the radio music is. It's generic and sounds like every other soft pop song since it's there to conform to the standard and i think if he's that willing to compromise for money musicially then he shouldn't be called a bluesman.

He plays blues therefore in my opinion he's a blues guitarist. I don't see how him earning money comes into classifying him. Sure he isn't a traditional bluesman but then most modern bluesmen aren't. Clapton released a Bob Marley cover which went to number 1. Is he then less of a bluesman?

And I have to completely disagree with your first statement. While there's a lot of manufactured pop about, making those kind of generalising statements really doesn't help your argument.
Quote by aaronni
He plays blues therefore in my opinion he's a blues guitarist. I don't see how him earning money comes into classifying him. Sure he isn't a traditional bluesman but then most modern bluesmen aren't. Clapton released a Bob Marley cover which went to number 1. Is he then less of a bluesman?

And I have to completely disagree with your first statement. While there's a lot of manufactured pop about, making those kind of generalising statements really doesn't help your argument.

Well he plays the blues scale but as far as im concerned there's more to it than that. Malmsteen did some 'blues' stuff didnt he but i dont think anyone who likes blues could call his pentatonic million notes a second shred stuff 'blues music'.

And making music that's popular like a bob marley song isn't what im on about. I'll explain, bob marley made reggae and it was popular music, 'pop music' of the time. Like elvis was pop music but it was still rock and roll. Nowadays there is 'pop music' as a genre to itself. Like madonna, britney etc and of course stuff like in the john mayer vid i linked.
Quote by aaronni

And of course when someone says that John Mayer is just pop crap they use his songs from almost 10 years ago to back up their arguement.

Listen to John Mayer Trio.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by Zoot Allures
Well he plays the blues scale but as far as im concerned there's more to it than that. Malmsteen did some 'blues' stuff didnt he but i dont think anyone who likes blues could call his pentatonic million notes a second shred stuff 'blues music'.

And making music that's popular like a bob marley song isn't what im on about. I'll explain, bob marley made reggae and it was popular music, 'pop music' of the time. Like elvis was pop music but it was still rock and roll. Nowadays there is 'pop music' as a genre to itself. Like madonna, britney etc and of course stuff like in the john mayer vid i linked.

I don't consider that much of John Mayer's stuff to be "pure" blues, a lot of it is just influenced but nonetheless it's more than just the blues scale. I'd struggle to call his trio anything other than blues or maybe blues rock.

You haven't argued my point about his pop music though. Yes it earns him decent money and it's pretty much pop but he keeps it quite separate from his blues stuff. In my opinion it has no effect on his blues stuff.

EDIT: I think Clapton was encouraged to cover it due to Marley's popularity at the time which would make him no different from Mayer really. Can't really remember though, it's in his autobiography.
who cares what genre of music he fits into ffs
electric blues is just 3 chord wankery anyway what's the difference
i prefer his "pop" stuff more if you insist on calling it that (as if blues isn't poppy)
Quote by aaronni
I don't consider that much of John Mayer's stuff to be "pure" blues, a lot of it is just influenced but nonetheless it's more than just the blues scale. I'd struggle to call his trio anything other than blues or maybe blues rock.

You haven't argued my point about his pop music though. Yes it earns him decent money and it's pretty much pop but he keeps it quite separate from his blues stuff. In my opinion it has no effect on his blues stuff.

EDIT: I think Clapton was encouraged to cover it due to Marley's popularity at the time which would make him no different from Mayer really. Can't really remember though, it's in his autobiography.

Well i dont know about claptons reasons for it. So i can't really say. It seems like mayers just made a load of soft poppy stuff to get him a bunch of cash basically whilst his 'blues' music is seperate. It's not being true as a musician , it's just making a business decision not a musical one.
I myself am a fan. Take the blues out of him, and I wouldn't like his music.

Quote by ASITHOS
As a person however, I've heard he's an egotistical jerk.
He used to be. He's growing out of it though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I think John Mayer's a huge twat with his whole "Hey, look at me! I'm the new Eric Clapton!" thing going on and his radio friendly rock hits grrr I can't stand that guy!
Quote by Zoot Allures
Well i dont know about claptons reasons for it. So i can't really say. It seems like mayers just made a load of soft poppy stuff to get him a bunch of cash basically whilst his 'blues' music is seperate. It's not being true as a musician , it's just making a business decision not a musical one.

Well we don't know Mayer's reasons for it either. I could say it seems to be Clapton was intent on making money off I Shot The Sheriff.
Personally I see no problem with what Mayer's done, he's made his money and got his name out there. He's now in a much better position to support his blues music. I'm sure he enjoys what he plays anyway whether or not it's liked by the real musicians of the world.

We've completely hijacked the thread so I'll leave it at that.

Quote by -heartbreaker-
I think John Mayer's a huge twat with his whole "Hey, look at me! I'm the new Eric Clapton!" thing going on and his radio friendly rock hits grrr I can't stand that guy!

Clapton's obviously a fan though, he invited him to play at Crossroads and they've played together a number of times.
I think he's ok, got some nice songs. I also like his guitar.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by aaronni
Well we don't know Mayer's reasons for it either. I could say it seems to be Clapton was intent on making money off I Shot The Sheriff.
Personally I see no problem with what Mayer's done, he's made his money and got his name out there. He's now in a much better position to support his blues music. I'm sure he enjoys what he plays anyway whether or not it's liked by the real musicians of the world.

We've completely hijacked the thread so I'll leave it at that.
I agree with you, but especially your first statement. We really don't know his reason for making pop music. He seems to enjoy pop music, so it's safe to say he plays it not JUST for popularity.

Quote by MLilienthal
who cares what genre of music he fits into ffs
electric blues is just 3 chord wankery anyway what's the difference
i prefer his "pop" stuff more if you insist on calling it that (as if blues isn't poppy)
You don't really know much about blues do you? There's a lot that separates the greats from an average joe who can wank up and down the minor pentatonic over a 12-bar blues.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Nov 16, 2009,
Page 1 of 2