i think i already know the answer to this. but is there anyway to hook up a guitar head through another? like using one as a preamp.

my buddy has a B-52 LS100 solid state, and just got a VOX night train and we were wondering if he could hook them up through eachother. like using the VOX as a preamp. im pretty sure it would destroy both heads, but is it possible? thanks for the help
i dont think it would destroy them. a guy who works at a local music store used to play with 3 triple rec heads. im not sure if it was the same way you are talking about or not however
Like you said, it's possible to connect them, but you would probably destroy both heads. DO NOT plug the output of one into the input of the other!

If they both have pre in/power out jacks, it might be possible if you make very sure that they match and wouldn't destroy each other. Someone who has more experience with that feature on amps should clarify it though as I'm not entirely certain if they actually are just out direct from the preamp and direct into the power amp. If they are, and both amps have them, that could work.

Also, why on earth would you want to do it?
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Nov 16, 2009,
If anything, use the vox's power amp. Unless you are trying to get the vox to sound edgier?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
IF one amp has a direct out (DI) or line out and the other has a preamp in, then yes, it can work.

It can also work with a DI into the input of the other amp, WITH an attenuation stage between them (eg, a volume pedal).
Also, it will sound like garbage.

When the music store guy played his triple-triple-rec stack, he was likely using at least two cabs, and the recs weren't actually connected to each other at all except at their inputs.
Well now...Could you, say, run a pre-amp as a boost into another amp? I.E. JCM800 Gain 0 Level way up into a JCM800 set up however you want. Kind of like using the pre-amp as a tube-screamer?

hmmm...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well now...Could you, say, run a pre-amp as a boost into another amp? I.E. JCM800 Gain 0 Level way up into a JCM800 set up however you want. Kind of like using the pre-amp as a tube-screamer?

hmmm...[/]

Sure, if the JCM has a line out, or even an FX loop, but that's honestly probably not all that great. It could work, but that's kind of pricey for a tubescreamer...