do you have to be a math genius to be able to shred and write good, because i do horrible in math and im wondering if thats why i find it hard to write bass lines for my band

opinions?
Last edited by Disobey666 at Nov 16, 2009,
Not at all. Of course, some experimental music uses mathematical formulas in composing and basic (like, really basic) knowledges in math are required to understand the concept of time signatures, but that's about it.

What you need is musicality and inspiration, nothing else.
i cant think of once where i've had to divide or multiply to write a song
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
its full of maths if you go waaaay deep into it, relative lengths of sections, relative distances between notes etc etc.

however theres next to no arithmetic, you probably cant write decent bass lines because youre uncreative and uninspired...smoke a joint
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
everyone has a different approach to music. some approach it mathematically and others can't really explain how they do it. if you're not good at math you probably don't play music mathematically. remember that there is no right or wrong way in music.

what i do if i have to write basslines (when my band already has a song, not when i'm writing one) is first just find the keynotes, next i just listen to the song and improvise a bassriff in my head and then i try to figure out how to actually play the riff
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
its full of maths if you go waaaay deep into it, relative lengths of sections, relative distances between notes etc etc.

however theres next to no arithmetic, you probably cant write decent bass lines because youre uncreative and uninspired...smoke a joint

Physics of sound and there's a crapload of arithmetic.
Equal temperaments (on any instrument), forming scales after you said temperaments, pitch class, interval class, **** it.
This will explain it much better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_of_music
Quote by huevos
Physics of sound and there's a crapload of arithmetic.
Equal temperaments (on any instrument), forming scales after you said temperaments, pitch class, interval class, **** it.
This will explain it much better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_of_music

plz dont lecture me on physics thx

i meant in composing music. if youre writing sheet music you need to count notes in bars, thats it, you dont need to be epic at maths to make riffs.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
The whole "music is math" thing is the biggest pile of bullshit ever. Don't sweat it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Disobey666
do you have to be a math genius to be able to shred and write good,

No, you don't.

Quote by Disobey666

because i do horrible in math and im wondering if thats why i find it hard to write bass lines for my band

opinions?

We would have no way of knowing what your issue is, but I'll take a guess........ lack of experience.

listen - learn - practice - play - enjoy.............. DON'T WORRY

it takes time, be patient.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 16, 2009,
Music, from a fundamental standpoint is literally entirely composed of mathematics. Not high school algebra, I'm talking about advanced calculus and physics. There are correlations between mathematical aptitude and compositional aptitude, but I'm guessing you aren't doing anything that complex musically (you're doing rock or pop.) If you're writing a rock song, it's more just intuition and creativity at play.
Music, from a fundamental standpoint is literally entirely composed of mathematics. Not high school algebra, I'm talking about advanced calculus and physics

Advanced calculus? What exactly does this apply to in music? For the life of me I can't think of anything...

With regard to the actual discussion I'm not entirely sure maths is that useful for music. Mathematics can be used to describe music, and then perhaps someone who is good at maths will quickly grasp elements of music theory, but knowing theory doesn't automatically make you a better musician. For me music is about creation and mathematics just isn't. For a while way back when I thought maths was useful, but music has no answer... how can you improvise with maths?
The actual writing of music doesn't use that much maths. Except for time signature stuff, you wouldn't need more than basic counting maths. If you can count to 14, I think you're pretty well right.

But creating sounds with synthesisers with programs requires a bit of maths. I occasionally use my year 12 methods knowledge (which should be similar to methods in America and Canada) about sine waves to create new sounds. It's difficult to explain.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
i have a degree in math, but i don't use much more than counting in music. i guess there's subdividing the beat, but i do that by feel.
Do I think math and music are related? Yes. You can represent sound with math (sine waves/sin functions, etc.)

Do I think one's musical talent is directly proportional to one's mathematical expertise? Not at all. When it comes down to it, music is about creativity. Math is a strict subject, there are rules and ways to do things and that is how they are done. There's not a lot of room for creativity, making new things, trying new things, etc.

Don't blame lack of math geniusness for writing crappy basslines
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
there's plenty of creativity in math.
you can do nothing but learn covers in music. that's not very creative.
creativity has less to do with your field than with your personality.
Last edited by brothertupelo at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by brothertupelo
there's plenty of creativity in math.
you can do nothing but learn covers in music. that's not very creative.
creativity has less to do with your field than with your personality.

Creativity in maths=win.

Do I derive by chain rule or by product rule or some freaky combination? Maths can be very creative, although only if you know what you're doing. Especially true when you start getting into long, difficult problems.

Music is similar. People think they're getting creative with music, but they honestly don't know what they're doing and they're actually not being creative. It's a hard truth, but music, even writing music, can sometimes be very uncreative.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
when you get deep, there is maths in EVERYTHING. But if you look at it that way whats the fun in life? I prefer to just be creative, maths has no part in creativity (technically it does but screw that)
I'm a drummer more than anything else and my memory of last semester's music theory class is a bit fuzzy, so the kind of "math" I consciously use when writing songs is just really time-signature related. Nothing super-complex, just occasionally 5/4 or 7/8. But even Ben Weinman (guitarist for Dillinger Escape Plan) rejects the "mathcore" label.

As a lot of people have already said, math figures heavily into music, but it's up to the musician (as well as the listener) to try to comprehend it and take control.
Quote by Disobey666
do you have to be a math genius to be able to shred and write good, because i do horrible in math and im wondering if thats why i find it hard to write bass lines for my band

opinions?

you dont need math to play music. studies show though that playing music can help you in math with more abstract concepts. its more about the thinking than actual math. its not like you play music and then all of a sudden you can do calculus out of the blue.
Quote by Sam_Vimes
Advanced calculus? What exactly does this apply to in music? For the life of me I can't think of anything...

With regard to the actual discussion I'm not entirely sure maths is that useful for music. Mathematics can be used to describe music, and then perhaps someone who is good at maths will quickly grasp elements of music theory, but knowing theory doesn't automatically make you a better musician. For me music is about creation and mathematics just isn't. For a while way back when I thought maths was useful, but music has no answer... how can you improvise with maths?

It's intrinsic. As someone else mentioned, the reason you even hear music is due to differing sine waves. Physics dictates how music works, and physics is composed of mathematics.
Quote by Ic3
Musick is all about fizicks , of course you don't nead it to whrite a song
it's more a combination of inspiration ,personal taste and hearing

thou a bit of theory cold help to

I think your priority should be learning English.
There is maths in music because maths just recognises patterns, and music is full of patterns.

However, for the most part the maths is incidental to the music making process, the composer doesn't consciously think about the maths but, because the human mind loves patterns, music that sounds good usually has lots of patterns which can be analysed by maths.

There have also been atempts to use maths to write music, but a knowledge of or aptitude for maths is in no way necessary to be a great musician.