So there's an Aerosmith thread, and Joe Perry is mentioned often in guitarist threads, but I haven't found a thread for the Joe Perry Project.

When Joe split from Aerosmith in the 80s, he formed the JPP (with a slightly changing lineup over the years) and put out 3 albums, and did tours behind them. In 2005, when Aerosmith wasn't doing much, he put out a solo album, but it's not really attributed to the JPP since Joe did everything but the drums. And just last month, Joe put out a new record in which he brought back the Project, with a mostly new lineup this time, and he's on a little tour in support of the album now. And he might be opening for Motley Crue in Canada early next year.

I went and saw the JPP two days ago (11/14) in Boston, and the show was pure, loud, perfect rock 'n roll. Here was the setlist:

01. Let The Music Do The Talkin'
02. Walkin' The Dog
03. Bright Light Fright
04. Long Way To Go
05. East Coast, West Coast
06. Somebody's Gonna Get (Their Head Kicked In Tonite)
07. Do You Wonder?
08. Vigilante Man
09. Rockin' Train (partial) / Bass solo
10. Discount Dogs
11. Slingshot
12. Get The Lead Out
13. Scare The Cat
14. Combination
15. Toys In The Attic
-----
16. Stop Messin' Around (with Tom Hamilton)
17. Walk This Way (with Tom Hamilton)

As you can see, it's a great mix of classic and rare Aerosmith songs (good luck seeing Bright Light Fright, Get The Lead Out and Combination at an Aerosmith show), a few great JPP tunes from the 80s, and some new tracks from his new album Have Guitar, Will Travel. He has also occasionally been playing The Other Side, a reggae-d up version of Dream On, and switching up between Rockin' Train and Discount Dogs. The general consensus among those of us who have seen JPP shows these past few weeks is that if you're even just a fan of rock in general, you should see these shows. They've been great.

Here are a couple videos from the Boston show. The first video is Combination/Toys In The Attic, and the second is Get The Lead Out/Scare The Cat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erd2BKSzxYo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri7kHU6gtZY

I'm sure some people here know JPP music and have seen them live, either in this decade or in the 80s. What do you guys think of them?
An impressive way to go immediately off-topic, and incorrectly, too. The media ran with Tyler's comment that he was taking time off from Aerosmith to do solo work, and gave the impression that he left the band. The facts are that as it stands now, Aerosmith is no more broken up than they were in 2005 when Joe took some time to do his own solo work.
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
haha they broke up
Real mature

Quote by futurejp
The media ran with Tyler's comment that he was taking time off from Aerosmith to do solo work, and gave the impression that he left the band.
I would think Joe's "Steven has quit as far as I can tell" comment had something to do with it too...

Get the Lead Out? No shit! I'm not familiar with any of the new songs, but the stuff I do know from that set looks great. Joe played the Starland Ballroom last week, which is maybe 20 minutes from my house in NJ, and I would have been there in a heartbeat, but I'm currently at college in Delaware.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I wish I could have gone to that show. I always am into mentioning this but this is sort of on topic, when I saw Jeff Beck at the house of blues boston, Joe Perry was in the audience up in the balcony. But I wish I could have gone to this, this would have melted my face off.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Quote by BrainDamage

I would think Joe's "Steven has quit as far as I can tell" comment had something to do with it too...

Yeah, it obviously did, but that's my point...the media based their stories off of what Joe said, which was speculation from Twitter. Can't get much more unreliable.