ok, i've got this 90's squier strat, feels nicer than my friends american fender, but the catch is, its not got the greatest pickups, now its alder so its not the wood, and the strings are basically new, and im playing through a marshall valvestate, so im thinking of changing the pickups to get the more hendrix vibe i've been looking for. so i was just wondering what pickups did hendrix use or what could i buy as a subtitute to get a nearer sound to the man himself?

thanks for any help
Hendrix would have probably used the stock strat pickups of whatever year his strat was, except he played a righty strat (he was a lefty), and with his teeth, oh yeah, and he was Hendrix.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
heh your right he's freaking awesome, just wondering how to get a closer sound
try fender scn noiseless pickups
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
he used stock pickups i believe. try slanting your pickups completely opposite of what they are.
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
I had heard somewhere that he didn't use stock pups.

Can't find the video anymore, though. But I'd believe them from the tone on the guitar they were using.
get those Fender custom shop 69' pups and throw em in reverse to get close to his tone. its impossible to get his exact tone but that should get you close. i think
Don't steal.
The government hates competition.
a decent fuzz face would get you much closer to his sound than any pickups can. just my 2 cents.
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
Quote by eL SeaweeD
he used stock pickups i believe. try slanting your pickups completely opposite of what they are.

+1 thats what I do to get a similar sound

He only used stock pickups. He was just to good to need other ones
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!
Quote by billy0805
a decent fuzz face would get you much closer to his sound than any pickups can. just my 2 cents.

QFT
fuzz face and power amp distortion!
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Buy a loaded Fender '69 strat body and shove your neck on it.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Buy a loaded Fender '69 strat body and shove your neck on it.

No. His current strat sounds like it is set up well and plays great, the neck may not fit so well with a new body.

Better options are all-tube amp, good fuzz, or pickups.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Nov 17, 2009,
Quote by kurtlives91
Emg 81/85

+ Marshall MG50DFX FTW!
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Les Paul Copy
AX Copy
Ibanez Gio

JCM 800 4211

Vox 847
Marshall Guv'nor 2

Need more amps!