I like the Ibanez RG350DX. But I have heard the Edge III tremolo wouldn't hold up to say, Steve Vai type of abuse. I was wondering if I could just buy like an Edge Pro or similar tremolo unit and switch them out?

What would be a good tremolo to switch it with?

Disclaimer: I have no experiance whatsoever with tremolos
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
it's often not a direct swap (though I have no idea about that specific swap). that's the problem. That and the fact that by the time you pay for the cheaper guitar plus trem upgrade you could probably just get a 1570 which already has a good trem, is a better guitar, and comes with a case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yep, if you've got a bunch of money to sink into 'upgrades' for a mid-range guitar then why not just grab something that's good from the get go? RG1550/1570 are two guitars that can be found for not much money and will be loads better than a 350 with some money thrown at it.

Hell, Ibanez is even offering a $100 rebate on the 1570's right now. That and some places are trying to clear out the '08 models. There's a music store near me letting go of a 1570 for $775 when they're regularly $999.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
aye. The price of trems is different in the states, so it might still be marginally cheaper to upgrade the 350 (plus the pickups in the 1570 aren't amazing and could do with being upgraded too at some point), but even still getting the good guitar from the get go is normally the thing to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
aye. The price of trems is different in the states, so it might still be marginally cheaper to upgrade the 350 (plus the pickups in the 1570 aren't amazing and could do with being upgraded too at some point), but even still getting the good guitar from the get go is normally the thing to do.
If the V7/V8 pickups are anything like the V1/V2s in my 550 then they're so close to being good enough that replacement isn't really a priority. Which is kind of annoying
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Yeah I just saw how much the tremolo units were seperatly. Ouch. Are the Edge III's not very good then? There seem to be a lot of UG haters.

What about the Zero Resistance on the S470DXQM?
i haven't got any real experience with the edge III, but i had its predecessor, the lo-trs, and that was crap. Based on that, I personally wouldn't chance the cheaper ibanez trems, but that's just me.

The ZR has the reputation of being better, but again I have very little experience. I think the materials aren't supposed to be much better, but the design means that the quality of the materials is much less important than on knife-edge trems. I think. But as i said, I don't have any experience of them outside of trying them in the shop. And they don't feel quite the same as knife edge floyds, nor do they have as much range for pull-ups etc. (in the thin-bodied S guitars).

Quote by ch0
If the V7/V8 pickups are anything like the V1/V2s in my 550 then they're so close to being good enough that replacement isn't really a priority. Which is kind of annoying

don't think i've tried the v1 and v2s, but the 7s and 8s are fairly mediocre, in my opinion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I want a trem that I can do Steve Vai type work. Does anyone know if the ZR can take it?
Quote by guitarlord28
I like the Ibanez RG350DX. But I have heard the Edge III tremolo wouldn't hold up to say, Steve Vai type of abuse. I was wondering if I could just buy like an Edge Pro or similar tremolo unit and switch them out?

What would be a good tremolo to switch it with?

Disclaimer: I have no experiance whatsoever with tremolos

I think the OFR is nearly a close swap, except that you just have to slightly modify the guitar with a filer for it to be able to work in it's range. There was a link around but can't find it but it was the GB+C section if you care to look it up, otherwise I'm sure google will be able to do it for you and be more efficient as well.