I was watching some of my friends shredding at College so I thought I'd give it ago. So I learnt a bit of The Beast And The Harlot solo, I thought it was pretty cool but then I was improving and I stuck some shredding in and I thought I lost all feel through it. I personaly prefer to use legarto instead of shredding and I know you get alot of guitarists like Brian May and Paul Gilbert who can shred well with alot of feel but I find alot of guitarists I know think they're amazing cause they shred but I personaly think the whole thing doesn't have much feel to it except when you get people who have been working on it for donkeys years.

What's your view?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
yeah, to a degree, but i've heard some shred that really has feel to it. but i'd choose guitar playing with feel over shredding ANY day
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
Quote by szekelymihai
Brian May is not at all known for shredding!
PG is though

EDIT: ^^^ mind this is no the pit

Well no not a well known shredder but he's pretty dam good at it. The intro to I Want It All?
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

You want to know shredding with feeling? Buckethead.

Nottingham lace and SoothSayer. Two amazing songs, With alot of feeling in every note. Even the 32nd notes.

If you wanted to find feeling in shredding and you looked at Synyster Gates for it... Well, he doesn't put feeling into what he does anyway...
Quote by Life Is Brutal

Nottingham lace and SoothSayer. Two amazing songs, With alot of feeling in every note. Even the 32nd notes.

If you wanted to find feeling in shredding and you looked at Synyster Gates for it... Well, he doesn't put feeling into what he does anyway...

No I learnt one of the patterns he used not himself.

Quote by Life Is Brutal

This. Shredding only takes the emotion out if aaaalll you do is shred. But even then, straight 'shred' can have a range of emotions if the backing rhythm is right.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
agreed, id prefer to listen to a solo by Eric Clapton or BB King than Michael Angelo Batio or Buckethead any day of the week!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Yea, despite the fact that I'm known to listen to some avenged every once in awhile, ill agree that looking to Syn for "shredding with feeling" probably isn't the best place to look. Ill agree that a solo that's absolutely nothing but shred has a significantly smaller impact on me then more thought out, emotional/melodic solos or passages.
No, for bad shredders it does, for good shredders, it can actually increase the amount of emotion in a passage.
everything said in this thread is right. listen to these people

buckethead is a perfect example for this argument, but syn isnt that bad, just a diffirent stlye. he has some feeling also, listen to afterlife's solo, its more epic/get pumped music. they just portray diffirent feelings. but songs like caprici di diabo by yngwie malmsteen i think, would be a better example of soulless shred and over-doing it

i can see why you find the licks in beast and the harlet dull though

EDIT: like my sevenfold deathbat avatar?
-JBSwreckfest
Last edited by jbswreckfest at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by jbswreckfest
everything said in this thread is right. listen to these people

buckethead is a perfect example for this argument, but syn isnt that bad, just a diffirent stlye. he has some feeling also, listen to afterlife's solo, its more epic/get pumped music. they just portray diffirent feelings. but songs like caprici di diabo by yngwie malmsteen i think, would be a better example of soulless shred and over-doing it

i can see why you find the licks in beast and the harlet dull though

EDIT: like my sevenfold deathbat avatar?

Lol yeah it's pretty kl. My friend is a prop A7X nut, he's seen them 3 or 4 times and he's got a Deathbat tattoo lol.

I'm not insulting shredding, it's good for building up dynamics but some of the people at college can only shread and it's a bit meh after a while

I agree to some extent - it's difficult to build a song with feeling and with speed in equal parts. However, it's not impossible. I'm just gonna jump on the Buckethead bandwagon here. And also +1 for Paul Waggoner.
I don't think shredding lacks emotion any more than anything else lacks emotion; anything done badly sucks. Being capable of shredding opens up so many more creative options in music.

For some more emotional shred take a look at Gentaro Satomura: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMhF1aaV7Dw this is one of my all time favorite shred peices and arouses far more emotion in me than most slower songs do.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Tender Surrender
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
What an original thread.

Not to be a dick, but *reported*.

We get this same bullshit discussion constantly.

"Feel" or "soul" cannot be quantified or measured. They do not lack those things; you simply do not get into it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
What an original thread.

"Feel" or "soul" cannot be quantified or measured. They do not lack those things; you simply do not get into it.

+1
you have to have a good mix between the two. If you can link big shred runs with some vibrato and bends or do some legato stuff, then you are good.
But the way I see it, shredding is just another way of expression and expressing something has some deal of emotion in it.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71izserFcek#movie_player

The answer to the original question is no. Speed and fast runs only open up more opportunities and emotions.

Hell, it's the same with any instrument, you can't create the same dynamic / emotions without speed, take the piano for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE5o3ZCSjjQ

If anything I'd say GOOD lead players are a rarity nowadays...not many players have the patience to learn their scales, modes, and fretboard.

I'm not saying that you HAVE to play fast. I'm saying that speedy passages create emotional responses that all "t3h soUL" and BB king vibrato in the world couldn't do.
Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX (BK Painkiller, DM Liquifire)
Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Fargen modded Peavey JSX, w/ KT77's
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
i dont think so.
while there are shredders that have no feeling and just play fast, there are many guitarists that have melodic shred that sounds amazing and beatiful.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
What an original thread.

Couldn't've said it better myself. The people who say that shred doesn't have emotion are butthurt because they themselves can't shred for shit, but the same goes the other way too: there are those who are brilliant guitarists, but are really just playing endless scales and arpeggios, and they use "emotion" as a justification for their playing".

Don't limit yourself to shred, but don't bag it out just because you haven't put in the hours to do it.