I desperately want to reproduce the kind of sound found in the intro and outro of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNcFkIQvlY

It sounds so awesome, but I have no idea how to achieve it. It's rather old, so I assume that they're most likely using single coils pickups...

But I have no idea. Any help, any pickups you know of that can achieve this kind of song would make me happy.
I would say single coil pickups, slight overdrive, and a fair amount of reverb
definitely single coils. there are 2 strats on that stage. like what has already been said, lots of reverb! maybe even a little bit of delay.

and on a side note, the choreographed dancing was almost too much for me
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
the only thing that might be suspect on that guitar would be the bridge. the rest of it looks pretty good. i love basswood bodies for metal and cleans both. and the pickups may or may not be up to what you want to do, but that can be upgraded later if you decide you don't like them.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Well yeah, I should have said that, I meant to upgrade the pickups. I'll most likely put an EMG H4 in the bridge, but I'm not sure what to put in the singles? I kind of want it to look and sound ridiculous.
Quote by Offworld92
Well yeah, I should have said that, I meant to upgrade the pickups. I'll most likely put an EMG H4 in the bridge, but I'm not sure what to put in the singles? I kind of want it to look and sound ridiculous.

FWIW before you go looking at buying pickups for a guitar you haven't even gotten yet you may want to look at obviously changing your amp set up. That'll make more difference to your tone.
Quote by Offworld92

If you would get the EMG 89 and 81-TW, they have coil taps which allow you to get a single coil tone out of them via push/pull knobs.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
the only thing that might be suspect on that guitar would be the bridge. the rest of it looks pretty good. i love basswood bodies for metal and cleans both. and the pickups may or may not be up to what you want to do, but that can be upgraded later if you decide you don't like them.

ESP upgraded the bridges; they're using FR Specials (AKA a MIK OFR with a Zinc block & saddles).

Anyway, a single coil in the Bridge position is what you want.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 16, 2009,
Just to add a little tidbit, you will be best off with Spring reverb. The reverb he is using most likely comes from a spring reverb tank, which is what gives it that extremely saturated, but still tight sound unlike say hall reverb that is very loose and "runny".
Last edited by Ape_Natural at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by Offworld92
Haha, it is hilarious. So, right now I'm looking at this ESP http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-MH-53-Electric-Guitar-515730-i1384551.gc

I would like to be able to achieve that sound on the single coils, but switch over to a hardcore/ metalcore type of sound mid-song via humbucker and pedals. What are your thoughts/ suggestions on doing this?

anyone know if Guitar Center ship to Australia?

I can save like $200 if they ship here
not sure why, but this M-53 is cheaper

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-53-Electric-Guitar-515729-i1384550.gc

only difference i see is the lack of the Horizon Body, using Marauder style only.

you can save more if you care about body style

at the least, i assume there may be a weight difference @_@

call about shipping, thats all i know when it comes to special situations
That sound is definitely going to require a single coil in the bridge IMO. I think going from this sound to a hardcore sound is gonna be a challenge. You could try a coil split humbucker in the bridge but it isn't gonna sound the same as an old Fender SC. Also the amp required for this tone isn't really gonna be all that conducive to high gain sounds. If you are a modeling amp kinda person then maybe but speaking as a tone snob its merely gonna be a half assed emulation.
The M-53 doesn't have a locking trem, which is why it's cheaper than the MH-53.

Single coil in the bridge... Hm... well that is a bit of a problem. I can't have an humbucker and a single coil in the bridge at the same time without coil splitting... I don't have any experience with coil splitting, but you're probably right about losing that old Fender sound by doing so. It's times like these that I wish S-H-S guitars existed. (haha, this is the first time a thought like that has ever occurred to me.) It would be easier to get an actual Fender probably, but I just can't stand them. I guess I'll just have to save up some money and mess around with different things.
That ESP won't do it. That tone comes from using the 4th position on a Strat (bridge and middle) and it cannot be done with a humbucker.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.