Hey, I have a 5150 halfstack, and Say what you will about scooped mids, I love the sound, I can't seem to get a scoopy sound with it no matter how low i turn the knob... Anyway I have an mxr 10 band eq, and I was wondering if anybody had a chart or setting for a scooped mid sound, I am very new to eq's. Thanks!
well think about it...u want to SCOOP the MIDS. start with the far left band. jack that up a bit, jack up the next one a little more, and then do a downward slope that peaks at the middle bands, then come back up, and peak again the second one from the right, and bring the last one down a bit.

i only use a 7 band and keep it like this for crazy scooped tone.

/  /             /
                              /
-------------------------------------
                       /
                    /
                 /

so try that shape with the extra bands u have, and just keep adjusting.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
well think about it...u want to SCOOP the MIDS. start with the far left band. jack that up a bit, jack up the next one a little more, and then do a downward slope that peaks at the middle bands, then come back up, and peak again the second one from the right, and bring the last one down a bit.

i only use a 7 band and keep it like this for crazy scooped tone.

/ / /
/
-------------------------------------
/
/
/

so try that shape with the extra bands u have, and just keep adjusting.

Do you use it in your loop?
Quote by Grenade979
Do you use it in your loop?

yea. it changes the tone drastically (a good thing).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
MXR 10 band is awesome on my 333 in the lOOp.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Make a smiley face with the faders. Scooped mids voila! It looks like someone took an ice cream scoop to the mid frequencies, hence the term.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
You mean you're trying to get a chunky, and tight rhythm guitar sound?

Raise your mids.

no, I'm pretty sure he's saying he wants to disappear in the mix and hide behind a wall of gain.
^
If so, make a frowny face with the EQ.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by SG310user
^
If so, make a frowny face with the EQ.

Actually, making a frowny face (boosting the mids) would probably make you stand out more in the mix...

Guitar is in the mid-high range in a band situation...so if you want to stand out in the mix...boost them. Fairly simple.

Scooping your mids will give you a cool metal sound, but you're going to disappear quickly in a live sound.
and make sure you use the eq in the effects loop for best results
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by eyebanez333
Actually, making a frowny face (boosting the mids) would probably make you stand out more in the mix...

Guitar is in the mid-high range in a band situation...so if you want to stand out in the mix...boost them. Fairly simple.

Scooping your mids will give you a cool metal sound, but you're going to disappear quickly in a live sound.

truth.

great bedroom tones =/= great live tones.
I have a good bit of mids on my amp and slightly scooped on the ten band. best of both worlds.

You gotta cut through. Its essential
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
I have a good bit of mids on my amp and slightly scooped on the ten band. best of both worlds.

You gotta cut through. Its essential

umm... it doesn't exactly work like that... unless your 10-band is going through a different amp.
He has a Bugera 333 with the switchable FX loop. So he could have it on for heavy rhythm, and switch it off for soloing, in theory. Though, to be fair, though I'm NO fan of scooping mids, it is possible to scoop them and have it work, it really depends on how drastically you scoop them and the overall sound of the band.

Plus, some people scoop their mids by just turning the mid knob to 0, and/or sliding the faders on the eq all the way down in the mid freqs...you can get a heavy sound by boosting lows and highs and slightly lowering mids, achieving a scoop without completely cutting out your mids. You'd still get the "smiley face" eq look, but you haven't completely cut out the frequency range your instrument primarily operates under. It's one of those things I show kids in young bands at our yearly battle of the bands we hold at our work. I see a scooped amp/eq, and the advice hat comes on.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣