Hi, I'm looking to get a new acoustic since the one I have isn't very good. I really have no idea what I am looking for in an acoustic. So I hope you guys have some suggestions.
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
do you play fingerstyle, use a pick or use fingerpicks? do you want a bigger or smaller guitar body? do you know yet if you prefer thinner or wider necks?
Quote by patticake
do you play fingerstyle, use a pick or use fingerpicks? do you want a bigger or smaller guitar body? do you know yet if you prefer thinner or wider necks?

I use picks, I like dreadnought bodies or anything that size, and I like thin necks. Hope that helps.
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
it does

try the yamaha fg730s, which is at the bottom of your price range but is a nice guitar - well made, good finish, nice sound. the seagull coastline s6 should also fit your needs - i have the original s6, which has a wider neck, but otherwise they are the same, and sound great. also check out any of the mid ranged alvarez regent series (not the lowest priced ones as they have laminate tops) as they have necks that were actually too thin for me but had great sound. ditto most waldens i've tried - a very alive sound, and i'd have bought one as a carry-around guitar except the neck was too thin for me.

also check out blueridge BR-40, which sounds good with a martin-like tone. and apparently parkwood guitars can run under $500 with all solid wood. one more brand that i haven't tried but a lot of the guys at agf really recommend is recording king. their dread is a little over what you want to pay, except at this store:

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Recording-King-RD-126-Classic-Series-Guitar-p/rd-126.htm

if you use the dropdown and choose "no case or bag needed" you subtract $35 and it's under $500 at that point. i haven't bought from instrument alley, but i know people who did. they said shipping is a little slow but otherwise it worked out. or maybe you can find another store to price match them.

Quote by seanandahalf
I use picks, I like dreadnought bodies or anything that size, and I like thin necks. Hope that helps.
I was looking at the Cort Earth 200. I've found it for about $400 and I have only been able to find good reviews on it.
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic
i've also read good reviews on it, and although i didn't care for it, perhaps you will.
as stratd00d, i'd expect you to like fenders, but i gotta tell you that electric fenders are a different story than fender acoustics. this guitar sounded so-so to me, although it was very easy playing, which is a plus. it was not that well built, and had glue spills inside the ones i played and some sharp frets and some other issues. they sell this particular guitar in person at the sam ash stores by my house, so anyone living by a sam ash might be able to try them to see if they like 'em.

Quote by stratd00d
I might get one of these:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-California-Series-Sonoran-SCE-California-Custom-AcousticElectric-Dreadnought-Guitar?sku=514656
I already have a higher-end Fender acoustic from the 70s, so I just want it for taking places as a "beater."
It's right in your price range though, so you should check it out.