I just found out that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It hasn't progressed to the point of permanent nerve damage, and I'm getting treatment for it, but I'm still worried. It wasn't caused by bad technique, but a mixture of genetics and the fact that I have a tendency to sleep on my left wrist, which is as of last night no longer a problem thanks to my new wrist splint. Should I stop playing? If so, how long? Is the slight waekness I feel in my left hand permanent?
You should of asked your doctor while recieving treatment?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
I don't mean to be a dick, but wouldn't the person who diagnosed you with CTS be a better person to ask?

My deepest sympathies.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
^^ I actually haven't seen a doctor yet. by "treatment" i meant ibuprofen and a splint.
I know, not the best word choice, but I'm a bit lethargic right now. (got three hours of sleep last night) I haven't been officially diagnosed, but my mom, who's had it scince she was 28, recognized all the symptoms when I told them to her. I'm going to see a doctor about it sometime this week.
Last edited by In The Mist at Nov 16, 2009,
Ah, I am predispositioned towards CTS actually...However, ask your doctor.

I'll assume you should stop playing, or practice a better way that isn't detrimental, or could be detrimental to your hand.
^^ I think I might just practice my right hand technique. This would be the perfect time. just practice picking while my left hand rests on my desk.
If you upload a video of yourself playing the people here can take a look at your technique and identify if there's anything there that could be contributing to your CTS. I'd very much recommend doing that.
I wouldn't play until it's cleared up completely either, I'd much rather miss playing guitar for a while than damage myself and end up being unable to play ever again.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
to be honest i wouldnt take your mums word as fact, the symptoms of cts are similar to the symptoms of many other hand ailments. Do a youtube search for cts test there are a few things you can do to help you diagnose it, but a physio or chiropractor should be able to tell you for sure.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Aleksi
If you upload a video of yourself playing the people here can take a look at your technique and identify if there's anything there that could be contributing to your CTS. I'd very much recommend doing that.
I wouldn't play until it's cleared up completely either, I'd much rather miss playing guitar for a while than damage myself and end up being unable to play ever again.

This, you'll just make it worse if you do play.

Quote by lwayneio
to be honest i wouldnt take your mums word as fact, the symptoms of cts are similar to the symptoms of many other hand ailments. Do a youtube search for cts test there are a few things you can do to help you diagnose it, but a physio or chiropractor should be able to tell you for sure.

This as well.
After talking to someone who would know you can minimize your the harm guitar playing does by doing the following -

Play with good posture.
Stay as loose as possible.
Use as little force as possible to play notes.

(all of those will drastically improve your technique as well)

and also -

Lower your string action and string gauge.
Avoid bends.