Problem solved! Got a classic player 60's strat and lovin it.
Last edited by snelseb at Jan 24, 2011,
They actually have nice tone. Though I;m a Strat man, so you can guess where this is going, hell, I'm holding mine right now
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
What you can do is get the Strat of your choice and throw in Texas Specials. Those are the pickups in his (and Stevie Ray Vaughan's) signature guitars.

Keep in mind though, most of Mayer's tone is from his amps, though the Strats do have a major role in the tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd go with the Epiphone Lucille, partly because of looks, but mostly because of the Stereo Output Jacks, which'll allow you to run one pickup clean and the other through a fuzz pedal or something, which makes one hell of a sound. I've been saving up for one but with school eating away my savings...
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i really really like the lucille. i've thought pretty hard myself about getting one. haven't found one to test, though. so it wasn't worth it to me. i think it'll definitely be a step (or two or three) up from the squier you're playing now though!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
or get the Dot and put a seymour duncam Phat cat in the neck - it's a single coil pickup that will fit in a humbucker slot. Beautiful strat-like tone, and you still have the humbucker in the bridge. I have one in th neck of my Flying V. Best of both worlds.
I would say Strat. but i am a huge Fender fanatic. I can play John Mayer pretty good on just my MIM Strat. If you really wanted to however, you could just buy a Standard Stat and add one of these on. in the end your guitar would be half the price of an official John Mayer strat and still sound the same
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-John-Mayer-Stratocaster-Pickup-Assembly_W0QQitemZ270486486248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3efa403ce8
Quote by AlexAngus
or get the Dot and put a seymour duncam Phat cat in the neck - it's a single coil pickup that will fit in a humbucker slot. Beautiful strat-like tone, and you still have the humbucker in the bridge. I have one in th neck of my Flying V. Best of both worlds.

the trouble there is that it won't really sound very "stratty" in a semi-hollowbody like a dot, and it's more like a P-90, which is already a thicker, smoother sound than a fender style single coil.

ES-335 style guitars are basically the complete tonal opposite of a strat. that being said, they'll fit in with all the same styles of music as a strat just as nicely - in conclusion, it's all about which you prefer.. and we can't tell you that
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Natrone
What you can do is get the Strat of your choice and throw in Texas Specials. Those are the pickups in his (and Stevie Ray Vaughan's) signature guitars.

Keep in mind though, most of Mayer's tone is from his amps, though the Strats do have a major role in the tone.

Uhm, no they're not.
Texas specials aren't that good for John Mayers strat tone, his guitars have Big Dippers in them, which aren't nearly as hot as the Texas specials, and have a mid-scoop, giving them quite a vintage sound.
Quote by Blompcube
the trouble there is that it won't really sound very "stratty" in a semi-hollowbody like a dot

ES-335 style guitars are basically the complete tonal opposite of a strat. that being said, they'll fit in with all the same styles of music as a strat just as nicely - in conclusion, it's all about which you prefer.. and we can't tell you that

Yeah that's what I figured.. I'm going insane over this we'll see what I'll do! One question about the lucille though.. Is it hollowbodied? It doesen't have any F-holes, so I'm a bit confused about whether it really is a hollowbody :S
I would say get a Strat and put some 60's style single coils in it. Those will give you a better John Mayer sound than Texas Specials or the Epiphone Dot.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
get a strat if you're going for tone

epiphone dot is bad though, from experience i love the dot....so its really up to you
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by snelseb
Yeah that's what I figured.. I'm going insane over this we'll see what I'll do! One question about the lucille though.. Is it hollowbodied? It doesen't have any F-holes, so I'm a bit confused about whether it really is a hollowbody :S

The Lucille is semi-hollow just without f-holes

My vote is go and get the Lucille, you get the most versatile ES-type guitar.....in that pricerange
Varitone

FineTune TP-6

"stereo-out" as mentioned before

no F-hole - less to no feedback
no problems if you like to change some electronics, there's a cover on the backside
.......and cool looking
I've decided against the Dot/Lucille, and I will save my money for the John Mayer strat, or a strat like it.. I'm too in love with the John Mayer-tone! :p Thanks guys, I appreciate the help you gave me! I do have one question though; which pick-ups are most simliar to the Big Dippers? I heard the 57's are pretty good, true? If not, which are the best?