This is reposted in this section as apparently I previously had the wrong section of the forum. Sorry.

My experience of playing in a band is limited and I imagine that is part of my problem here but a little good advice could go a long way. Firstly, the rig I'm using is pretty much the rig that's in my signature below. For lighter Rock covers like 'Alright Now' or 'Can't Get Enough of Your Love' I use the OD1 channel and then use the MXR Boost pedal in the loop for the solos. For heavier songs like 'Paranoid' I use OD2 and again I use the MXR Boost pedal for the solo. I usually have the master volume maxed out to drive the power valves and then control the volume from there using the channel volume. Gain is set at about 6. The Bad Monkey is on all the time as I like the way it tightens up the distortion. Gain on the Bad Monkey is also set at about 6. The problem is that even with the MXR Boost pedal maxed out, the solo just doesn't seem to cut through the mix very well.

I have found that raising the mids helps a bit and I think there is more to be gained from experimenting with this approach further. For some reason I don't understand, if I drop the master volume down and bring the channel volume up to meet it, it also seems to cut through a bit better but it's still not perfect.

While I'm using a 1X12 valve amp, the other guitarist is using a Marshall Valvestate but he is running through a 4X12 instead so I'm guessing that part of my problem is that I just can't move enough air to compete with that. An extension cabinet of some sort may well be the answer but I'm not sure if I can do that on a Marshall DSL401. If I can do that, how do I do it?

The other thought that I had was that I was perhaps losing something by having my high gain sound come from OD2 and an overdrive pedal as well. Would I be better switching to a pedal based distortion instead of the amp's own distortion and then I wouldn't have to use the Overdrive so extensively. Would my boost pedal then be more effective on this set up?

As I said, I have very limited experience of playing in a band and very limited experience of pedals so any help you can give me on how to set my rig up to best effect would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
It's less about how you get the sound, and more about how everybody else gets their sound. If you're soloing, I assume you usually play lead. You and the other guitar player need to sit down and figure out how you can tweak your sound so you can both be heard.

I rarely have this problem, since I like a throaty tone and most of the guys I play more on the treble side. But it's fairly easy to fix - it just takes a lot of time moving a knob slightly, walking away so you can hear both amps from a distance, moving a knob slightly again, walking back, etc. etc.

You can also play chord inversions, or open chords and power chords, to further differentiate your playing. This will also make the arrangement a little more interesting, provided you guys are tight.
I would go for the extension cab idea and don't use the Bad Monkey's gain. Gain should be at 0 or 1 and then Level to 10. If you are not getting it with what you have I'd suggest something like an MI Audio Crunch Box.
The tone that you use to play with a band has to be tweaked a lot from what you are used to. First of all, you really need mids, or if you have an EQ, then mids and upper mids will get you heard. Second, an extra cab could really help volume-wise. If you are not loud enough, an extra cab or miking tha mp is a great solution. Mids, however, is probably what youi need. It will sound horrible alone, but you will not sound as bad in a band situation. And raising gain is a good idea too.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
The tone that you use to play with a band has to be tweaked a lot from what you are used to. First of all, you really need mids, or if you have an EQ, then mids and upper mids will get you heard. Second, an extra cab could really help volume-wise. If you are not loud enough, an extra cab or miking tha mp is a great solution. Mids, however, is probably what youi need. It will sound horrible alone, but you will not sound as bad in a band situation. And raising gain is a good idea too.

Mids dont sound horrible alone :S