Hey
i been thinking about changing the pups in my PRS for a while now as despite sounding insanely beautiful in the studio they just arent quite what im looking for live

been looking at the bare knuckle Nailbomb and was wondering on what you guys think if it would be a thumbs up or down too putting them into my mccarty or not

side note if i do decide to change the pickups i will be selling the PRS McCarty ones to pay for the bare knuckles so if anyones interested make me an offer and perhaps it will convince me to get the Bareknuckles
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
I think the nailbomb would be a great match if the stock pups aren't hot enough for you.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
What kind of music do you play live?

what i actually play and what i like to play are 2 completely different things
im in a few bands and play mostly heavier rock covers everything from like extreme and deep purple too metallica and if feeling a bit homoish the Kinks! Haha

im a huge mark tremonti so lets say that sorta heavy tone im after.. although i didnt like his signature pickups

as far as what i personally like to play and write its more C# tuned modern rock likee Fightstar or something
so i need something very all rounderish but with a killer Rock tone

come say Hi!
ask at bareknuckle's forum for the best advice regarding the pickups.

personally, if i were you i'd hang onto the stock PRS pickups. If you ever sell it, it'll likely be worth more with the stock pickups (or no less), and that way you'll get to either keep the bareknuckles for your next guitar, or sell them separately for more cash.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im wondering if the bare knuckles will offer me the same 10 mile wide tone that prs gives at the moment
i dont want to it end up sounding like some ibanez which is only good for shredding on but has no width too it

come say Hi!
I'd go for...

Bridge: Bare Knuckle Nailbomb
Neck: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat

The Nailbomb will give you a good rounded rock tone... but the Cold Sweats will cover the ground of the lower gain music you play.

You might also consider a VHII Humbucker set.

Remember to get Tim to calibrate the Coldsweats and Nailbombs.

However, if you want the best recommendation possible... call Bare Knuckles yourself... nothing beats getting it straight from the man himself.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I'd go for...

Bridge: Bare Knuckle Nailbomb
Neck: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat

The Nailbomb will give you a good rounded rock tone... but the Cold Sweats will cover the ground of the lower gain music you play.

You might also consider a VHII Humbucker set.

Remember to get Tim to calibrate the Coldsweats and Nailbombs.

However, if you want the best recommendation possible... call Bare Knuckles yourself... nothing beats getting it straight from the man himself.

good advice! ill have to give the company a call and see what they say as im sure they can aprichiate me not wanting to put the wrong product into a very expencive guitar

come say Hi!
Quote by ChrisRuffell
good advice! ill have to give the company a call and see what they say as im sure they can aprichiate me not wanting to put the wrong product into a very expencive guitar

BLASPHEMY!

A Bare Knuckle is so awesome... it can never be wrong!

Haha... although it might not be suited to the music you wanna play.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
before you get rid of a perfectly good set of pickups i suggest that you try tweaking the sound from your amp during soundcheck to get the best out of the acoustics of the venue. there is no reason why you shouldnt be sounding good as it is. if you are looking for something more modern sounding i fully understand you. but then that does raise the question, why bother getting a mccarty in the first place?
Cold Sweats sir....cold sweats....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
IMO the Manson sounds far better than the Nailbomb- pretty much the same when dirty, but the cleans are much fuller.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
before you get rid of a perfectly good set of pickups i suggest that you try tweaking the sound from your amp during soundcheck to get the best out of the acoustics of the venue. there is no reason why you shouldnt be sounding good as it is. if you are looking for something more modern sounding i fully understand you. but then that does raise the question, why bother getting a mccarty in the first place?

i got the mccarty cause i just love playing it. everything is just in the perfect place IMO and it plays amazingly too me and i love the huge chunky neck. i was going to get a custom 22 but then tried out a mccarty in the store and it just suited my playing so much more
i have pretty big hands so dont get on with the thinner neck more metal guitars
and just have never been a fender person.iv owned a few and never found one which suits me so PRS all the way!

come say Hi!
Quote by ChrisRuffell
...10 mile wide tone...

someone's been watching Fret12
Quote by GrisKy
someone's been watching Fret12

Damn right!!! i have seen alter bridge live..and they wernt lieing.tremontis rig could actually create a blackhole

come say Hi!
very true. i've also seen 'em live a time or two... his rig is killer. i tailored part of my rig around his
Quote by GrisKy
very true. i've also seen 'em live a time or two... his rig is killer. i tailored part of my rig around his

i got a few of the bits he uses
dual rec (didnt see a need for the triple)
michael angelo batio over drive
tremonti wah
few other bits and bobs iv seen him with... he should come with the old recto slogan "When excess is barely enough"

come say Hi!
I'd be willing to bet BKP suggest you put Painkillers in it... but I could be wrong, as I'm not sure on the "exact" tone you're looking for, as in... what you don't like about the McCarty pickups, and what you'd change.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ChrisRuffell
im wondering if the bare knuckles will offer me the same 10 mile wide tone that prs gives at the moment
i dont want to it end up sounding like some ibanez which is only good for shredding on but has no width too it

any BKs I've tried (which is not many) wiped the floor with the PRS pickups I've tried. You just have to make sure you get the right model. If you don't like shredding you probably don't want a miracle man, for example.

As i said, ask over at the BKP forum.
Quote by ChrisRuffell

yep, definitely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to calling BKP and finding out direct from them. Tim will steer you towards the best pickup for your needs.
That said, my choice for your description would be a set of Rebel Yells. They're hot without being overly modern, with a great upper-midrange bite that cuts right through a rock mix. They can go more or less as heavy you want them to, but can also be tamed right back to traditional blues and rock tones.
Quote by Nolly
+1 to calling BKP and finding out direct from them. Tim will steer you towards the best pickup for your needs.
That said, my choice for your description would be a set of Rebel Yells. They're hot without being overly modern, with a great upper-midrange bite that cuts right through a rock mix. They can go more or less as heavy you want them to, but can also be tamed right back to traditional blues and rock tones.

now that does sound tempting

come say Hi!